so...like...why no 8t8r for 1900Mhz LTE or 800MHz LTE?

stuckinohio1

i cant recall if this has ever been asked before and it may just be silly as hell. but if the 8t8r radios can make 2500MHz band 41 have a similar range to 1900MHz B25 why not use the same tech for band 25 and 26 to increase range?

Or is this not even possible? dunno....

Considering that Sprint holds a large chunk of 2.5 spectrum they want to maximize the coverage with the 8T8R radios.  It would not be feasible to deploy 8T8R radios for PCS and SMR since its being deployed on 5X5MHz bandwidths and it some markets 3x3MHz for SMR.  

Frequency bandwidth isn't the reason against 8T8R for PCS and ESMR. RRH and Antenna sizes/weights would be enormous for 8T8R. As it is, PCS and 4T4R would be twice the size of the current 2T2R systems in most of the country. ESMR 2T2R systems are already pretty huge, because wide frequency (low-band) spectrum requires wider panels. Going up to 4T2R or 4T4R systems would make it too big and heavy for most of Sprint's cell site structures.

• Like 1

Frequency bandwidth isn't the reason against 8T8R for PCS and ESMR. RRH and Antenna sizes/weights would be enormous for 8T8R. As it is, PCS and 4T4R would be twice the size of the current 2T2R systems in most of the country. ESMR 2T2R systems are already pretty huge, because wide frequency (low-band) spectrum requires wider panels. Going up to 4T2R or 4T4R systems would make it too big and heavy for most of Sprint's cell site structures.

Still wouldn't be as bad as Atts new experimental builds with almost thirty radio heads and several hundred pounds of antennas...
  • Like 3

Isn't there a carrier already using 4T2R for PCS (or maybe AWS) spectrum already? Or am I just confusing that with something else?

I believe T-Mo is talking about that.

Yes, T-Mobile, but it has to use two antenna panels per sector to accomplish that.

AJ

Yes, T-Mobile, but it has to use two antenna panels per sector to accomplish that.

AJ

Only in Ericsson territory. In Nokia territory, it's a single antenna panel with one RRH and they operate in 4T4R on 700MHz, AWS, and PCS.

Considering that Sprint holds a large chunk of 2.5 spectrum they want to maximize the coverage with the 8T8R radios.  It would not be feasible to deploy 8T8R radios for PCS and SMR since its being deployed on 5X5MHz bandwidths and it some markets 3x3MHz for SMR.  

I don't think Sprint has 3x3 anywhere at the moment. They were supposed to do so but I believe in the areas where they were supposed to do so, they did an agreement with the other license holder and now they can use a full 5x5.

• Like 1

I found a NSN/Ericsson Spark permit in my area which, in addition to adding 2.5 equipment and replacing RRUS 11s with RRUS 31s, also adds new 1900 MHz antennas -- APXVSPP18-C-A20 on the alpha and beta sectors, and APXVRR13-C-A20 on the gamma sector. The original NV antennas also remain, so this may be the first indication that Sprint will actually be using the 4x2 MIMO capability of the RRUS 31.

I found a NSN/Ericsson Spark permit in my area which, in addition to adding 2.5 equipment and replacing RRUS 11s with RRUS 31s, also adds new 1900 MHz antennas -- APXVSPP18-C-A20 on the alpha and beta sectors, and APXVRR13-C-A20 on the gamma sector. The original NV antennas also remain, so this may be the first indication that Sprint will actually be using the 4x2 MIMO capability of the RRUS 31.

Or they could be switching to a six sector setup.

Nokia has been doing 4 sectors for T-mobile for a while so they, along with Sprint/Softbank, may be pushing Ericsson to do the same considering the RRUS31 65 mhz project was made to clean up Ericsson shenanigans...

Or they could be switching to a six sector setup.

Nokia has been doing 4 sectors for T-mobile for a while so they, along with Sprint/Softbank, may be pushing Ericsson to do the same considering the RRUS31 65 mhz project was made to clean up Ericsson shenanigans...

Wouldn't they have different azimuth or be narrow-beam antennas? These have the same azimuth and 65 degree beam width. It just seems like a waste to put up new 1900 antennas without taking advantage of 4x2.

Wouldn't they have different azimuth or be narrow-beam antennas? These have the same azimuth and 65 degree beam width. It just seems like a waste to put up new 1900 antennas without taking advantage of 4x2.

That's just another possibility i can think of but if it is actually 4x mimo on pcs then it's good to see.