AT&T now the second slowest network in US

payturr

https://twitter.com/FierceWireless/status/541987694025662464

^ According to the tweet above, FierceWireless confirms using data gathered by RootMetrics that AT&T is now the second slowest network in US, following our beloved carrier, and that T-Mobile is now the fastest network nationwide. This is based upon maximum downlink according to the tweet, not average downlink.

Of course you need to be part of the newsletter to see the entire article mentioned in the tweet, but I think this is some big news. With Sprint ready to launch second carriers on B41 as it rolls out among the most popular markets in the US, we're poised to actually be faster than America's second biggest carrier, a duopoly member!

I think this is some big news, and I'm kinda really excited. My AT&T subscribed friend, not so much. ;) Thoughts?

• Like 3

But AT&T has the strongest LTE network.  More bars in more places.  I just saw Frank and Charlie on TV last night during the football game.  :roflmao: 

Watch the comments all be about Sprint, and not AT&T.  :lol:

• Like 9

But AT&T has the strongest LTE network.  More bars in more places.  I just saw Frank and Charlie on TV last night during the football game.   :roflmao:

Watch the comments all be about Sprint, and not AT&T.   :lol:

I'm very confused about what that advertisement is trying to say. Higher site density?

I'm very confused about what that advertisement is trying to say. Higher site density?

Yes.  They are saying that the average AT&T customer with an LTE signal is more likely to have a stronger LTE signal on AT&T than customers of other providers.  But since we can get 20-40Mbps on B41 with a weak signal, and AT&T with a strong signal is likely to be slower, it's not really saying much.  Except the average customer probably thinks a strong signal will be faster better than a weak signal.  Because we are trained that way since the days of analog voice.

• Like 5

Yes.  They are saying that the average AT&T customer with an LTE signal is more likely to have a stronger LTE signal on AT&T than customers of other providers.  But since we can get 20-40Mbps on B41 with a weak signal, and AT&T with a strong signal is likely to be slower, it's not really saying much.  Except the average customer probably thinks a strong signal will be faster better than a weak signal.  Because we are trained that way since the days of analog voice.

I can't wait for band 41 in the most congested and popular markets. We're gonna wipe the floor with AT&T, hopefully ending the reign of the duopoly!

• Like 2

But AT&T has the strongest LTE network.  More bars in more places.  I just saw Frank and Charlie on TV last night during the football game.

I like my LTE network signal strong -- but not like "eww!" strong.

AJ

• Like 13

Would you like some pepper spray? 

No, I am wearing my safety vest today.  So, law enforcement seems to leave me alone.

AJ

• Like 1

Well wouldn't the amount of subscribers AT&T have play s factor in them being the second slowest and the less customers T-mobile has helps them take the top spot as being the fastest?

So the more customers T-mo adds they will see their speeds come down.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I can speak from personal experience that although those stats may be true, their network is very consistent where i am.

AT&T's network tends to be very consistent in many places, this is true. However, with band 2 here in NYC, the difference between speeds on Staten Island and Manhattan isreally disgruntling if you're a commuter.

Well wouldn't the amount of subscribers AT&T have play s factor in them being the second slowest and the less customers T-mobile has helps them take the top spot as being the fastest?

So the more customers T-mo adds they will see their speeds come down.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Yes, this is a factor that must be taken into consideration, but another is the fact that T-Mobile has access to wideband LTE; 15x15MHz, vs AT&T's 10x10MHz in almost the entire US. This gets especially worse in 5x5MHz only AT&T markets.

• Like 1

AT&T has very inconsistent speeds throughout the West.  But then again, so does Verizon.  Pretty much the very nature of LTE is going to make for an inconsistent experience.  The only way to attempt to make LTE a consistent experience is to build a very dense network and throw an insane amount of spectrum at it.

• Like 2

AT&T's network tends to be very consistent in many places, this is true. However, with band 2 here in NYC, the difference between speeds on Staten Island and Manhattan are really disgruntling if you're a commuter.

Yes, this is a factor that must be taken into consideration, but another is the fact that T-Mobile has access to wideband LTE; 15x15MHz, vs AT&T's 10x10MHz in almost the entire US. This gets especially worse in 5x5MHz only AT&T markets.

Of course,  shouldn't they be adding band 4 and band 5 to the rest of the network though?

Of course,  shouldn't they be adding band 4 and band 5 to the rest of the network though?

As far as what I've seen and heard from friends, band 4 is MIA in NYC. As for band 5, that's very far down the pipeline due to the fact its main service is for voice. WCS appears to be entirely missing as of right now, especially since even the newest iPhones lack support for it, so we don't know when or where people will be covered with that.

We have Band 4, 5 and 17 in my area.  Still inconsistent.  Usable.  And I'm not even complaining.  But as far as consistency, it's not there.  Some sites you will hit an underburdened B4 10MHz carrier and hit over 50 Mbps.  Get a B17 or B5 5MHz carrier well burdened, and it will run 2-3Mbps.  But VZW B13 and B4 is actually slower here than AT&T...and it's all XLTE's and sh!t.  :P

• Like 5

AT&T's network tends to be very consistent in many places, this is true. However, with band 2 here in NYC, the difference between speeds on Staten Island and Manhattan isreally disgruntling if you're a commuter.

That's true. Did the article speak on the reliability of the networks?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

We have Band 4, 5 and 17 in my area.  Still inconsistent.  Usable.  And I'm not even complaining.  But as far as consistency, it's not there.  Some sites you will hit an underburdened B4 10MHz carrier and hit over 50 Mbps.  Get a B17 or B5 5MHz carrier well burdened, and it will run 2-3Mbps.  But VZW B13 and B4 is actually slower here than AT&T...and it's all XLTE's and sh!t.   :P

I look forward to the day we get a post on the wall stating how Robert and his entire family are now on Sprint experiencing 40Mbps ;)

• Like 6

That's true. Did the article speak on the reliability of the networks?

Sent from my iPhone 6+

Unfortunately no. From an older article in July, we can tell AT&T is working on it's own Network Vision to get WCS out and available in more markets, so perhaps it can be more reliable in the coming months.

Unfortunately no. From an older article in July, we can tell AT&T is working on it's own Network Vision to get WCS out and available in more markets, so perhaps it can be more reliable in the coming months.

Oh ok gotcha. I am curious to see the percentage of reliability for T-Mobile only because they only tout they are the fastest and nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

I look forward to the day we get a post on the wall stating how Robert and his entire family are now on Sprint experiencing 40Mbps ;)

If so, they should build an elaborate treehouse and be the South Dakota Family Robert-son -- the only family on Sprint within hundreds of miles.

AJ

• Like 7

AT&T is still not a bad network, they are still not done with LTE deployment, sometimes there 3G "HSPA +" is faster then there LTE. I have friends who have T-mobile and they still get 2G EDGE out side city limits LOL and I think I remember seeing somewhere saying T-mobile will have LTE on ALL there 2G EDGE sites by the end of 2014, its almost the end of 2014.... I maybe I didnt read that right or I might be wrong. Regardless ALL the carriers have there good and bad spots, no one carrier is THE BEST and PERFECT, Just saying!!  :)

• Like 3