Red is the new yellow

orangeblue

I had the pleasure of testing Verizon and Sprint in San Jose this weekend and it seems like Sprint made a huge gain against Verizon. I found many locations were Verizon offered speeds that we have only enjoyed on Sprint for quite some time of 1-2MB while Sprint roars along with 40-70MB on B41 and about 6MB on B25.

It would be great to see Sprint edging up in the professional tests but it seems Sprint is on a good way.

• Like 23

I also noticed that more and more you're dropped from LTE on Verizon down to 3G. Cells seem to shrink and their B13 feels more like B25 on Sprint. Yet B4 is real nice but Verizon keeps the deployment out of the mapped view.

Yeah, I'm generally happy on B4 on VZW. But not so much on B13. In my area, B13 in places overlaid with B4 work OK. Like 3-6Mbps. B13 in places without B4 overlaid are 500k-3Mbps. Or I get shunted back to 3G. Which is now abysmal on VZW. At least in the places it happens to me.

This is a good time for Sprint to be surging.

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Even the Verizon AWS band is slowing at a rapid pace. In March I was getting 70 megabits down, now I am getting only 38 down from the same spot. This was conducted in a residential area so I could image in other places.

The 2.5ghz is sprint ace in the hole, so it's just down to execution.

• Like 2

I drove through Bakersfield, CA and Verizon on B4 hit 90MB while you hope to get a workable speed in Los Angeles.

WiMax is at times faster ;-)

Yeah, WiMax is a 10MHz channel with 10% of the customers. Should be screamin'!

• Like 1

Yeah, WiMax is a 10MHz channel with 10% of the customers. Should be screamin'!

Considering all the Prepaid customers on WiMax, it is still nice to pull 12MB down in Tustin, CA on WiMax.

Not in Visalia. It's still slow as molasses there.

I guess because Visalia is a really old market. I have seen slow speeds in older markets too, Is your market Motorola blessed?

Considering all the Prepaid customers on WiMax, it is still nice to pull 12MB down in Tustin, CA on WiMax.

I guess because Visalia is a really old market. I have seen slow speeds in older markets too, Is your market Motorola blessed?

No, visalia was an expedience conversion, and the dual mode equipment should be going live soon, but they used microwave for the backhaul there.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

Most of the early Q2 RootMetrics tests are better. 

I'm still waiting for the first outright win on Sprint's part. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Chicago given that it is Sprint's biggest and most important market right now.

• Like 1

Most of the early Q2 RootMetrics tests are better.

I'm still waiting for the first outright win on Sprint's part. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Chicago given that it is Sprint's biggest and most important market right now.

Wouldn't surprise me either, service already equals or beats the other 3 in most places. I toyed with switching to one of the other 3 before renewing my contract and just couldn't find any good reasons to after test driving TMO and att again.

• 2 months later...

I had the pleasure of testing Verizon and Sprint in San Jose this weekend and it seems like Sprint made a huge gain against Verizon. I found many locations were Verizon offered speeds that we have only enjoyed on Sprint for quite some time of 1-2MB while Sprint roars along with 40-70MB on B41 and about 6MB on B25.

It would be great to see Sprint edging up in the professional tests but it seems Sprint is on a good way.

Yeah, Verizon is garbage in the Bay Area. It is the main reason I use my T-Mobile phone as my main phone while in the Bay Area. Yesterday at 10:30 at night in San Jose I couldn't even stream music on low quality while T-Mobile was blazing at 30 megabits per second. In Stockton, I think Rootmetrics.com messed up because I know people with Sprint and they all say it is terrible here. Does anyone else think so?

In Stockton, I think Rootmetrics.com messed up because I know people with Sprint and they all say it is terrible here. Does anyone else think so?

There's a big difference between people saying and knowledgeable people actually testing the network.

Stockton and North side of Central Valley from Modesto and North has seen massive improvements from sprint and Samsung for the past weeks and stretching back.

Them being rated so high is no thanks to their deployment of lte 800 and most of the existing Stockton clear network being fired up for lte 2500 since September.

Next report from Modesto should be just as good with the denser clear network being up alongside live sprint lte 800 and 2.5 sites.

• Like 1

Yeah, Verizon is garbage in the Bay Area. It is the main reason I use my T-Mobile phone as my main phone while in the Bay Area. Yesterday at 10:30 at night in San Jose I couldn't even stream music on low quality while T-Mobile was blazing at 30 megabits per second. In Stockton, I think Rootmetrics.com messed up because I know people with Sprint and they all say it is terrible here. Does anyone else think so?

I hope the network gets fully optimized soon because at times B26 and B41 are not playing nicely together. It will take time but I feel the need for speed :-)

Verizon broke today another negative record, 30KB down on LTE!! I thought I was blazing fast on iDen back in the days.

I hope the network gets fully optimized soon because at times B26 and B41 are not playing nicely together. It will take time but I feel the need for speed :-)

Verizon broke today another negative record, 30KB down on LTE!! I thought I was blazing fast on iDen back in the days.

In places where VZW has B13 only, their LTE network is pretty abysmal.  I often get sub 1Mbps VZW LTE in those areas.

In places where VZW has B13 only, their LTE network is pretty abysmal.  I often get sub 1Mbps VZW LTE in those areas.

Have you ever seen a mass of zombies piling on and climbing a wall "World War Z" style?  That, sadly, is the way the hoi polloi basically "attack" wireless data networks.

In my dream scenario, the iPhone would have never existed, and the unwashed masses to this day still would have little interest in wireless data.  The iPhone is "patient zero."

AJ

• Like 2

Have you ever seen a mass of zombies piling on and climbing a wall "World War Z" style?  That, sadly, is the way the hoi polloi basically "attack" wireless data networks.

In my dream scenario, the iPhone would have never existed, and the unwashed masses to this day still would have little interest in wireless data.  The iPhone is "patient zero."

AJ

It was going to happen regardless of iPhone. The iPhone merely sped things up by a few years. If the iPhone hadn't come around, some of the other touchscreen-based app-centric devices under development at the time would have led the charge.

There's no point in deploying wireless systems if people aren't using them. Yes, the architecture of current wireless systems is sub-optimal to be the primary Internet connection of many people, but the beauty of engineering is that it's all about solving a problem. There's always a way to make it work in a way that will either satisfy all parties, or satisfy nobody. And there are a lot of very talented folks working on designing wireless systems that can support people's daily needs as a primary Internet connection because that's all that would be available in many places here in the US and around the world.

We'll just have to wait and see, though.