Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

If there's anyone here that wishes the Sprint platform was more standard, it would be me. It just wasn't/isn't possible until the VoLTE era. I'd rather see Sprint skate to where the puck is going over where it is now.

I think we will get there eventually. Once Sprint starts moving to VoLTE, I imagine they will convert PCS entirely to LTE within 3-4 years. The only place I see them keeping CDMA in the next decade will be on that sliver of 1x800 that is too small for anything usefull except one (or two) 1xA carrier(s). Those 1xA carriers can provide a LOT of voice or M2M capacity.

Funny thing is there is a phone that is whitelisted on Sprint because Sprint has all of the IMEI's in the database "Nexus 6" and take a look at the upcoming LG Flex 2 radios. You will notice that is covering basically the whole gambit of the US frequencies.

Funny thing is there is a phone that is whitelisted on Sprint because Sprint has all of the IMEI's in the database "Nexus 6" and take a look at the upcoming LG Flex 2 radios. You will notice that is covering basically the whole gambit of the US frequencies.

Except, of course, AWS WCDMA (UMTS band 4).

I think we will get there eventually. Once Sprint starts moving to VoLTE, I imagine they will convert PCS entirely to LTE within 3-4 years. The only place I see them keeping CDMA in the next decade will be on that sliver of 1x800 that is too small for anything usefull except one (or two) 1xA carrier(s). Those 1xA carriers can provide a LOT of voice or M2M capacity.

Sprint is not eliminating pcs CDMA in 4 years. Verizon is keeping CDMA until 2020 but they have the luxury of having bc0 850mhz so they'll shutdown pcs CDMA soon.

Sprint doesn't have bc0 spectrum and has current customers with pcs 1x and if they're pushed off it they may just switch to Tmobile or att wcdma m2m.

Sprint just launched 1x800 recently so I don't think there's even many m2m modules.

Sprint is not eliminating pcs CDMA in 4 years. Verizon is keeping CDMA until 2020 but they have the luxury of having bc0 850mhz so they'll shutdown pcs CDMA soon.

Sprint doesn't have bc0 spectrum and has current customers with pcs 1x and if they're pushed off it they may just switch to Tmobile or att wcdma m2m.

Sprint just launched 1x800 recently so I don't think there's even many m2m modules.

It's not a complete shutdown of CDMA he's talking about as much as it's devices that'll only need to run on LTE. As 1x usage decreases, Sprint would be able to use nearly all of their PCS holdings for LTE leaving just a bit of SMR and just a bit of PCS to operate CDMA for M2M etc.

It's not a complete shutdown of CDMA he's talking about as much as it's devices that'll only need to run on LTE. As 1x usage decreases, Sprint would be able to use nearly all of their PCS holdings for LTE leaving just a bit of SMR and just a bit of PCS to operate CDMA for M2M etc.

I agree with what you said. About the pcs CDMA shutdown thing: people have posted many b25 2nd carriers sightings.

This is only in markets with 30mhz of a-f spectrum correct?

Will this deployment of 2nd b25 carriers be complete end of this year?

I said 3-4 years from when they roll out VoLTE, not 3-4 years from today, I agree they won't kill CDMA before VZ, that would be crazy given the investment they made in CDMA. I don't expect to see a Sprint VoLTE rollout until almost 2017, maybe mid-late 2016 at the earliest, given their statements on the matter.  So basically I don't expect to see PCS CDMA completely eliminated until well into the 2020s. I think you might see Sprint squeeze their CDMA traffic into a single 5x5 PCS block of spectrum before then (a single 1xA carrier and 2 EVDO in PCS), but I don't seem them TOTALLY shutting it down until 80-90% of customers have VoLTE phones (and the remainder have BC10 capable phones or M2M modules).

I agree with what you said. About the pcs CDMA shutdown thing: people have posted many b25 2nd carriers sightings.

This is only in markets with 30mhz of a-f spectrum correct?

Will this deployment of 2nd b25 carriers be complete end of this year?

Who knows? Sprint has 30MHz of PCS in NYC but I'm uncertain if we'll get a second carrier this year because there are just way too many customers to switch over to Spark and LTE capable devices. I wish Sprint would release some numbers (like Verizon) about how many of their customers have adopted Spark devices or LTE devices in general.

Who knows? Sprint has 30MHz of PCS in NYC but I'm uncertain if we'll get a second carrier this year because there are just way too many customers to switch over to Spark and LTE capable devices. I wish Sprint would release some numbers (like Verizon) about how many of their customers have adopted Spark devices or LTE devices in general.

I don't understand. If sprint is only using 20mhz of CDMA pcs and can therefore add 2nd carrier, what does that have to do with "moving people to spark"?

One task is network upgrading and other task is device marketing

I said 3-4 years from when they roll out VoLTE, not 3-4 years from today, I agree they won't kill CDMA before VZ, that would be crazy given the investment they made in CDMA. I don't expect to see a Sprint VoLTE rollout until almost 2017, maybe mid-late 2016 at the earliest, given their statements on the matter. So basically I don't expect to see PCS CDMA completely eliminated until well into the 2020s. I think you might see Sprint squeeze their CDMA traffic into a single 5x5 PCS block of spectrum before then (a single 1xA carrier and 2 EVDO in PCS), but I don't seem them TOTALLY shutting it down until 80-90% of customers have VoLTE phones (and the remainder have BC10 capable phones or M2M modules).

Once the ibez is cleared and b26 deployed nationwide why should volte be further delayed

Once the ibez is cleared and b26 deployed nationwide why should volte be further delayed

Because cdma to LTE VOLTE is mostly undeveloped and has a ton of issues that must be fixed.

Ecsfb and ehrpd aren't the most reliable thing ever for cdma and LTE handoff operations.

• Like 1

I don't understand. If sprint is only using 20mhz of CDMA pcs and can therefore add 2nd carrier, what does that have to do with "moving people to spark"?

One task is network upgrading and other task is device marketing

Getting Spark devices in people's hands means getting CDMA usage, EVDO in particular, to go down which means that they can repurpose spectrum more effectively. In many cities, Sprint is running multiple CDMA and EVDO carriers which makes it less than easy to repurpose spectrum for LTE. As EVDO usage decreases, you'll see much more 2nd carriers being deployed.

Because cdma to LTE VOLTE is mostly undeveloped and has a ton of issues that must be fixed.

Ecsfb handoffs and ehrpd aren't the most reliable thing ever for cdma and LTE handoff operations.

Sprint has said that they are in less of a hurry to roll out VoLTE than the other wireless providers, due to their investment in 1xA equipment as part of NV. They are going to take the time to do it right and make sure they don't have compatibility issues with other CCA/RRPP members. Basically, they elected to let the other wireless providers go first, and deal with most of the bugs and compatibility issues. And why shouldn't they? They have the newest and most efficient CDMA equipment, whereas Verizon is just going to let their old 3G network slowly rot away once they roll out VoLTE. Heck, they have already started to ignore all but the most serious problems with their 3G network.

As bad as sprint rep is and seeing how they need to get this network up to par, I would start shrinking that 3g asap...

Having bright star and access to phones I would be offering free phones to get people over to LTE...

Cheap phones or refurbished free

Newer hot phones 2 yr contract

Brand new phones half price with easy pay

Or lease with a credit ...

3g speeds are often horrible even after upgrades.. Add second carriers and start allocating more spectrum to lte

I believe Hyundai (up to 2015 models those have Verizon) and all uconnect models from Fiat/Chrysler/jeep/dodge/ram have CDMA via sprint radios built in at least through 2016 so not sure how quickly sprint can phase out major accounts like those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecsfb and ehrpd aren't the most reliable thing ever for cdma and LTE handoff operations.

I was assuming b26 volte would equal at least pcs CDMA voice. Is that not true?

If not then couldn't sprint densify b26 enough by the time ibez is resolved?

As bad as sprint rep is and seeing how they need to get this network up to par, I would start shrinking that 3g asap...

Having bright star and access to phones I would be offering free phones to get people over to LTE...

Cheap phones or refurbished free

Newer hot phones 2 yr contract

Brand new phones half price with easy pay

Or lease with a credit ...

3g speeds are often horrible even after upgrades.. Add second carriers and start allocating more spectrum to lte

To sprints credit, on their site They're offering recent spark phones for $350-ish: gs4, htc m8.

Those are [emoji106]deals.

• Like 1

That's good but again its about getting those 3g people to lte

There will be people who will never move to smartphones. Volte dumb phones will be necessary for them. Some people don't even want a smartphone for free.

5mhz fdd pcs CDMA will be enough for those people.

Speaking of Band 41, is there a national map showing how much of the spectrum Sprint owns in each of the MTA/BTAs?

No, because it's almost impossible to appropriately define. While BRS is allocated by BTA, licensing isn't fully rationalized. EBS uses geographic partitions that potentially overlap (radius from location of school the EBS license was allocated to) and there are massive gaps in EBS availability.

It's almost impossible to know how much BRS+EBS spectrum is available for use. The FCC doesn't even know because not every educational institution has registered their EBS licenses (even though they legally have them regardless).