Sprint site density and WiMAX spectrum

danlodish345

Hello I have a question or two for the knowledgeable folks at S4GRU ....there is a tower 1 1/2 miles from me ...with sprints current site density would be outside the Of the 2.5 GHz band and would I be on the pcs or smr band for lte? Any answers would be appreciated :)

Hello I have a question or two for the knowledgeable folks at S4GRU ....there is a tower 1 1/2 miles from me ...with sprints current site density would be outside the Of the 2.5 GHz band and would I be on the pcs or smr band for lte? Any answers would be appreciated :)

You should definitely be within 2.5 coverage at that distance but other factors like buildings and hilly terrain can cause a big impact as well. Here is my thing. If you can see the tower from your home your probably good. 

I have seen 800 LTE go 2+ miles in my market. But I was outside and the speed tests were only 2 Mbit. But the towers around here are not optimized yet. This was in the suburbs. Hope that helps.

When do they optimize? After all 3 are up?.. I noticed in my office I was getting 26 but at weak signal. Before I was getting 1900 but at a weak signal... I don't get it same weak signal now just b26 I don't it has been optimized yet.

I have seen 800 LTE go 2+ miles in my market. But I was outside and the speed tests were only 2 Mbit. But the towers around here are not optimized yet. This was in the suburbs. Hope that helps.

I assure you, it can go over 10 miles with the right terrain. I see that all the time on highway sites around here.

• Like 2

Really hard to say with B41 towers (some report great coverage), but I don't usually expect much in regards to coverage.  For almost the entire summer, I was eye level with a direct line of site to a B41 tower only a quarter mile away and would have a signal of -80dBm.  If I went downstairs behind the apartment and lost LOS with the tower it would drop to -105dBm.  Inside of a building about a half mile away from the tower I couldn't get any B41.  

It is really going to depend on the downtilt of the tower and the obstructions between you and the tower.

Really hard to say with B41 towers (some report great coverage), but I don't usually expect much in regards to coverage.  For almost the entire summer, I was eye level with a direct line of site to a B41 tower only a quarter mile away and would have a signal of -80dBm.  If I went downstairs behind the apartment and lost LOS with the tower it would drop to -105dBm.  Inside of a building about a half mile away from the tower I couldn't get any B41.  

It is really going to depend on the downtilt of the tower and the obstructions between you and the tower.

Band 41 does pretty decently outside but it's not the best at penetrating walls and other objects. 

There is a site that is about 200 feet from a gas station/car wash near my house. When I am outside I get -77dbm but when I go inside the car wash it instantly drops to -105dbm. However, it seems as if speeds on Band 41 are independent of signal in that my signal on Band 41 drops when I enter but my speeds hardly drop at all. at worst it's about 5Mbps.

You should definitely be within 2.5 coverage at that distance but other factors like buildings and hilly terrain can cause a big impact as well. Here is my thing. If you can see the tower from your home your probably good.

well there are lots trees in the way as well

If you have a hard time getting band 25 you will  proly have a hard time with band 41.Band 26 might and I say might be best.

so its band 26 i ll get then because there is a lot of trees in the way

Members are wasting their time asking these kinds of "Will I get band A from site X at my house?" questions.  No one here can answer them with any certainty because there are too many variables:  ERP, HAAT, azimuth, downtilt, indoor/outdoor, etc.

For the right price, I can measure your variables.