Sprint deploying Connections Optimizer software with future maintenance releases

Duffman

(I am posting this here rather than on other forums as I believe folks here are more intelligent and rational. Do not prove me wrong by insisting that you paid for Sprint unlimited data service so doggonit, you are going to not use wifi when it is available.)

Beginning 03/26/2012, Sprint launches Sprint Connections Optimizer on new Android phones, and pushing it out to existing phones via maintenance releases. Sprint Connections Optimizer is a free feature that automatically turns on WiFi or 4G radios at pre-specified locations and times of day. It locates customer’s home Wi-Fi and work Wi-Fi possibilities prompting them to setup. Samsung Epic 4G and HTC EVO 4G customers are the first to receive Sprint Connections Optimizer via a maintenance release. Additional devices receiving this feature are being determined.

This should help reduce load on congested 3G towers, reduce battery consumption and improve customer experience.

(Trust me. There are thousands of customers in 3G-only areas with their 4G radio on and an equal number that are constantly scanning for wifi networks they never connect to.)

How it Works

Devices with Sprint Connections Optimizer will scan at various times to assist in Wi-Fi setup or automatically connect to a customer’s remembered networks.

Prompts customer to set-up home Wi-Fi or work Wi-Fi possibilities, making auto-connection simple once network is remembered in Settings > Wireless & Network.

Devices will only connect to unsecured wireless networks if those open networks have been specifically chosen.

Customers can choose to forget remembered Wi-Fi networks via Settings > Wireless & Network.

In a small number of locations on the Sprint network, the feature may auto connect to 4G for short durations to improve data throughput at that location

Pro-active management of 4G connections where available may benefit the user experience with a faster connection speed.

If a data connection is unsuccessful, the Wi-Fi or 4G radios will return to previous state.

Customers can temporarily override automatic connections by manually setting the Wi-Fi or 4G radios to on or off.

How to Use

Sprint Connections Optimizer works best when the Wi-Fi or 4G radios are turned on and off automatically using logic within the feature. Refrain from overriding the feature by constantly toggling radios on and off. Customers should setup their preferred Wi-Fi connections in Settings > Wireless & Network, making connection to a Wi-Fi network in range automatic.

How to Disable

To disable the feature:

Select Settings > Wireless & Network > Mobile Networks > Automatic Connections.

Uncheck Sprint automatic connections.

To temporarily disable:

Manually turn off the Wi-Fi or 4G radios that Sprint Connections Optimizer turns on automatically via the notification panel.

Other points I found worth repeating:

Sprint does not collect any customer information with this app.

Sprint will not force or automatically connect customers to unsecured Wi-Fi networks. Open Wi-Fi networks must be manually setup as a remembered network in the Wireless & Networks section of Settings in order to establish automatic connection.

Sprint Connections Optimizer is an enhanced connection management feature under the system settings of the device. It is not an app that can be found in the Applications Tray but will appear within the Applications section of Settings. The feature cannot be deleted from the device like applications. However, it can be disabled. Customer’s accessible memory is not used. The Sprint Connections Optimizer feature is stored in the system partition and cannot be controlled.

• Like 7

Overview

sounds interesting.. but the link is not working for me. (i think thats supposed to be a link, anyway.)

EDIT: this post can be deleted.. the OP has been changed/updated.

I inadvertently posted an internal doc so quickly deleted most of it. Although the doc was for public consumption, I just wanted to post the highlights and not the entire thing. Plus I was trying to take calls at the same time.

I like it. As far as I'm concerned, Sprint can "come on in" to my phone, learn about my connection hiccups, and make it better. The truth is I forget to jump on wifi at home sometimes and I don't leave it to search for wifi while at work because there is none.

I would like to be able to set a timer for wifi to toggle on at certain hours of the day and toggle back off.

I like it. As far as I'm concerned, Sprint can "come on in" to my phone, learn about my connection hiccups, and make it better. The truth is I forget to jump on wifi at home sometimes and I don't leave it to search for wifi while at work because there is none.

I would like to be able to set a timer for wifi to toggle on at certain hours of the day and toggle back off.

Try juice defender.... It optimizes ur battery, learns ur wifi connections, can turn wifi on and off, turn bluetooth on and off, great app.

Sent from my EVO 3D w/ MeanRom

Do you guys remember me posting in the initial Chicago article about forced WiMax offload? Well, this is it. Nailed it!!!

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-11-sprint%e2%80%99s-network-vision-and-lte-deployment-details-emerge-for-chicago/

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Sounds like a tad of the smithmicro deal I mentioned before and that's been discussed to death at xda trying to figure out how they will use it...

I can only assume they will do this VIA GPS meaning thatll have to be on...would like to know the learning aspect of the tool though...will it learn over time even though u may get 4G here some It's not worth the trouble trying to connect to it each time?....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a tad of the smithmicro deal I mentioned before and that's been discussed to death at xda trying to figure out how they will use it...

I can only assume they will do this VIA GPS meaning thatll have to be on...would like to know the learning aspect of the tool though...will it learn over time even though u may get 4G here some It's not worth the trouble trying to connect to it each time?....

It might be via GPS, or it might be Site ID that your device is connected to for 1x/EV. If your device connects to certain sites, it gets prompted to scan WiMax or WiFi. That way it still works if someone disables their GPS.

Robert

It might be via GPS, or it might be Site ID that your device is connected to for 1x/EV. If your device connects to certain sites, it gets prompted to scan WiMax or WiFi.

Robert

Okay fair enough...though this might still not be great in the bc you'll b able to connect to some towers and get 3G better than you can Wimax...as we all know...it'll be better with LTE yes but what about when inside and the performance of LTE has dropped more off and your 3G speed is greater than the LTE, since LTE performance drops faster over signal?

Just playing devils advocate with that last part there...

Okay fair enough...though this might still not be great in the bc you'll b able to connect to some towers and get 3G better than you can Wimax...as we all know...it'll be better with LTE yes but what about when inside and the performance of LTE has dropped more off and your 3G speed is greater than the LTE, since LTE performance drops faster over signal?

Just playing devils advocate with that last part there...

I personally am not in favor of the idea, myself. I think there are all kinds of problems with the idea. WiMax is spotty and inconsistent. I will connect to it when I want to, is my personal mantra. :)

Robert

I personally am not in favor of the idea, myself. I think there are all kinds of problems with the idea. WiMax is spotty and inconsistent. I will connect to it when I want to, is my personal mantra.

Robert

Agree, though i think its more suited for LTE devices than anything really. Though let the old evi4g users be the guinea pigs, I'm all for that...then they will be able to implement it better for clears lte offloading....which actually makes sense to test it on Wimax now so when they have lte with clear they can offload to them when needed much better since kinks hopefully will be out by then

The wimax offload I am not a big fan of.

Me' date=' neither.

I personally am not in favor of the idea, myself. I think there are all kinds of problems with the idea. WiMax is spotty and inconsistent. I will connect to it when I want to, is my personal mantra. :)

Fortunately, Sprint did not make this required. Used can stay on WiFi and 3g if they want.

Rooted devices won't have this problem' date=' will they?[/quote']

What problem are you referring to?

And if you are rooted, I would not accept any maintenance updates.

See, that was the answer I was looking for Duffman. I don't accept maintenance updates and hopefully the ROM builders never incorporate this into their future releases.

See, that was the answer I was looking for Duffman. I don't accept maintenance updates and hopefully the ROM builders never incorporate this into their future releases.

Why? If you can disable it in the menu itself then whats the big deal? Its not like its carrierIQ all over again...no need at all to get all up in arms hoping it isn't in any Rom's...

• Like 1

It will be helpful in reducing strain on the network, but a lot of people will bypass it and do what they want. Some will get confused and upset and call customer service. Others may even appreciate the "smart" network management.

I've never had WiMax (except for my 2 trips to Minneapolis), so I guess I can't "complain" about connecting to it...

Why? If you can disable it in the menu itself then whats the big deal? Its not like its carrierIQ all over again...no need at all to get all up in arms hoping it isn't in any Rom's...

I'm not up in arms over this. I'm up in arms ready to throw my phone off a cliff again because it's acting like crap. Oh well. The problem with liking HTC Sense as much as I do. lol

I'm not up in arms over this. I'm up in arms ready to throw my phone off a cliff again because it's acting like crap. Oh well. The problem with liking HTC Sense as much as I do. lol

Haha been there before. Lol

It was working great for a while, but now the touch screen is getting really unresponsive again. I'm going to try using another rom again. Maybe that will help. I just have to remember to copy my calendar contents. I forget to do that all the time. Good thing nothing important is on it, lol.

Have you thought about wiping your device and flashing a new ROM? I think that would help you out with your problems.

• Like 1

Have you thought about wiping your device and flashing a new ROM? I think that would help you out with your problems.

I'm going to do that tonight if the ROM I want to use will download.

• Like 1