Sprint's LivePro is the projector/hotspot/Android mashup you didn't know you needed

VW Maverick

I've been wanting a projector for the longest and this device may just break my uncanny excuse for holding off buying one, as well as break my bank. lol

Too bad it doesn't have a hdmi input port so one can attach Chromecast to it. But every thing else seems perfect. not bad for $450 or $18.75 on EasyPay. Since I already have a hotspot as well as the one on my phone so i won't need a data plan.

I wonder who among us will be the first to get it and review it.

TS

• Like 1

I've been wanting a projector for the longest and this device may just break my uncanny excuse for holding off buying one, as well as break my bank. lol

Too bad it doesn't have a hdmi input port so one can attach Chromecast to it. But every thing else seems perfect. not bad for $450 or $18.75 on EasyPay. Since I already have a hotspot as well as the one on my phone so i won't need a data plan.

I wonder who among us will be the first to get it and review it.

TS

The hdmi is output? That seems kinda backwards thinking on their part.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

The hdmi is output? That seems kinda backwards thinking on their part.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

No the hdmi is input.

• Like 4

I remember your review of the Tri-Fi Hotspot was pretty good. Just sayin. ;)

I tend to go a bit overboard on my reviews honestly (been told I'm writing a novel) lol and yet the ones I do on Amazon and Sprint website are even longer. But if I do get this, I won't disappoint and will do a lengthy review.

No the hdmi is input.

I stand corrected. Awesome

I'm sure some developer will get their hands on it and hack the living crap out of it.

Either way, I see Sprint making a killing with this device, at the very least with schools and workplaces. The specs are not that bad...

• Size: 4.7w x 4.7d x 1.1h (120.6mm x 120.6mm x 28.5mm)
  • Weight: 14.1 oz (400 grams)
  • Processor: 1.2GHz dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM890 chipset processor
  • Device Display: 4" WVGA touchscreen with 800 x 400 resolution (Gorila Glass)
  • Projection Display: between 10 inches up to 10 feet
  • Projector Type: DLP
  • Lamp Brightness: 100 lumens (which basically means in all mostly dark environment)
  • Lamp Life: 20,000 Hours (2 years 3 months if on 24 hours or 5 hours a day then its 7 years 8 months ),
  • Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080
  • Native Resolution: 1280 x 800)
  • Contrast Ratio: 1,000:1
  • Aspect ratio: 4.3 or 16.9
  • Battery: 5,000mAh Litium-ion
  • Memory Internal: 4GB ROM
  • Memory External: 1GB RAm microSD card (support up to 32GB)
  • Ports: 1- USB 3.0 input, 1- HDMI input, 1- 3.5mm stereo headset/audio jack
  • Connectivitiy: Bluetooth, Sprint Spark (3G/4G LTE)
  • (Finger rest time)
  • Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Wi-Fi Miracast
  • Embedded Speaker
  • Power bank - to charge mobile phones
  • Netflix
  • Google services (play, Chrome, Search, Gmail, Maps, Calendar, Drive, Youtube)
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Price: $449.99 or 24 monthly payments of $18.75 with $0 money down on Sprint Easy Pay

Source: Sprint

• Like 2

Pretty cool.

I tend to go a bit overboard on my reviews honestly (been told I'm writing a novel) lol and yet the ones I do on Amazon and Sprint website are even longer. But if I do get this, I won't disappoint and will do a lengthy review.

Awesome

I think its kinda cool myself, I might bite if they have a wifi only version.

• Like 2

Drat! My Zing has an ETF until March 1st.  I always carry both the Zing and a projector when I do customer visits, and this thing would be perfect. Drat! Drat! Drat!

well since you will pay 18.75*24 (=450) or 450 out right, you should be able to simply buy and swap it in for your zing on your existing contract, then sell your zing or keep it for backup.

if you use it for work/business, just expense it ;)

Edited by dedub

well since you will pay 18.75*24 (=450) or 450 out right, you should be able to simply buy and swap it in for your zing on your existing contract, then sell your zing or keep it for backup.

if you use it for work/business, just expense it ;)

Your first point is extremely helpful.  I am so addicted to Sprint subsidies, I hadn't even thought about how EasyPay is different. :wacko:   Looks like I'm marching down the Sprint store this very Friday!

(Unfortunately for your second point, I am a self-employed manufacturers' representative, so there's no one to expense it to. I will get the tax deduction, though.)

Thanks for the insight!!! :D

• Like 2

I won't buy it because I don't need it, but I like the idea of them selling devices like this with Sprint integrated into it. Hope its the beginning of a new trend, I might just add a third line because of one of them.

• Like 1

I would love to get one of these, unfortunately the hotspot plans just aren't fiscally sensible to me.

6gig / $50 x 24 months for dedicated hotspot device, or on as needed via phone hotspot addon

If they had an available on-demand for 10+ gigs at $50 or less plan, I'd probably highly consider that.

That's not a bad idea, I'm out of contract on my Netgear hotspot and my work recently allowed me to access the buildings wi-fi/network with my laptop, So I really no longer need the hotspot. I can swap it for this device.  :tu:

• Like 1

I would love to get one of these, unfortunately the hotspot plans just aren't fiscally sensible to me.

6gig / $50 x 24 months for dedicated hotspot device, or on as needed via phone hotspot addon

If they had an available on-demand for 10+ gigs at $50 or less plan, I'd probably highly consider that.

It would be really cool if Freedompop carried it.

• Like 1

Honestly I like it BUT in my field the lumen output is probably just a bit too dim to work for what I REALLY want to do with it. 

I'm not sure if I have ever mentioned on here, but I own and operate my own mobile DJ business. What would be really nice to use this for is outdoor weddings to do slideshows, power points but also play music videos without having a massive projector - because small and portable is key - every inch counts especially when you're transporting equipment. 

Now add lighting (and sunlight) that may overpower this to where its not visible. I'm sure I could make it work for "on-the-fly" events though.

I wonder if the bulb is LED as well or if there is a physical bulb. Also, is it replaceable or is that the catch of it? 

Definitely would need to see it in action before I would say yes to it. If somebody does do a review PLEASE let me know, because if it would work, I would get two right off the bat.

• Like 1

Lisa from MobileTechReviews said this afternoon that she will be reviewing it once it comes in and I am sure a few other places will review it as well, in the meantime I decided to compare the specs against a few of the top pico projectors as per the projectorcentral web site. In doing so I noticed that there is another Android OS pico projector out in the market made by AAXA Technologies. (For those not wanting to be tied down to the Sprint Network)

Anyway here is a quick compare table...

In case you can't see the table below click here
  • Like 1

Lisa from MobileTechReviews said this afternoon that she will be reviewing it once it comes in and I am sure a few other places will review it as well, in the meantime I decided to compare the specs against a few of the top pico projectors as per the projectorcentral web site. In doing so I noticed that there is another Android OS pico projector out in the market made by AAXA Technologies. (For those not wanting to be tied down to the Sprint Network)

Anyway here is a quick compare table...

TS out

The graph isn't displaying for me, just in FYI.

I wouldn't mind having the hotspot, because when others can't get service and ABSOLUTELY need it like wedding planners, cake decorators, photographers, etc and they can't get data when I can, I can talk up Sprint more so then I already do!  :D  :tu:

And people complain that Sprint isn't creative or doing things differently. BS! Here's proof right here.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, every other embedded table I done works , this one isn't displaying, anyway, I added the link in case.

TS

Unfortunately, the link doesn't work either, saying that the file doesn't exist or the web address is mistyped.

According to the Sprint web site, the minimum LivePro data plan is 6 GB/$49.99.  So besides the $18.75/month EasyPay, subs who now have a 3 GB/$34.99 plan would have to shell out another $15/month forever.  As someone who already has a very good (but slightly heavier) data projector and a perfectly good Zing!, this puts the LivePro out of reach: extra $809 in the 1st 2 years.  IMO, very poor marketing decision by Sprint.

• Like 2

According to the Sprint web site, the minimum LivePro data plan is 6 GB/$49.99.  So besides the $18.75/month EasyPay, subs who now have a 3 GB/$34.99 plan would have to shell out another $15/month forever.  As someone who already has a very good (but slightly heavier) data projector and a perfectly good Zing!, this puts the LivePro out of reach: extra $809 in the 1st 2 years.  IMO, very poor marketing decision by Sprint.

I went into a Sprint store yesterday, and while they didn't have it yet the manager told me the 3GB plan would work with it, even though the website is showing what you said. I wonder if it's an error.