Tablets: Easy Pay or 2yr contract. Which is better?

MacinJosh

This thread compares the cost of Sprint tablets by buying on Easy Pay or 2yr contract.

However, this works much differently than phones do. Sprint has priced some tablets to be equal in pricing either way, 1 is cheaper on a 2yr contract, and the rest are cheaper on Easy Pay. Odd pricing for sure.

My initial math was wrong. Thanks to jeremyvbk for catching it. Overall, the total cost of owning a tablet on Easy Pay is anywhere from $100 to $200 more expensive over 2 years than buying it on a 2 year contract.

• Like 4

good work Josh! Although thats a small table... I had to keep scrolling up/down and over/across to see stuff.  

I fixed the table. My embed code didn't include sizes for some reason, so I had to add them in manually. Refresh so you can see it in a better size.

• Like 2

Am i missing something regardi g the Free Tab 3 offer? If its on the 2 year contract for free, and on the $5 a month , thats only $120 for 24 months.

Am i missing something regardi g the Free Tab 3 offer? If its on the 2 year contract for free, and on the $5 a month , thats only $120 for 24 months.

I'm counting the cost of the etf. I sure hope I did my calculations correctly. Maybe I didn't do that with the phones. That's what happens when I'm trying to write a computer program at the same time I'm building a tablet comparison. That could potentially change everything.

Sent from my Josh's iPad using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I'm counting the cost of the etf. I sure hope I did my calculations correctly. Maybe I didn't do that with the phones. That's what happens when I'm trying to write a computer program at the same time I'm building a tablet comparison. That could potentially change everything.

Sent from my Josh's iPad using Tapatalk 2

curious why did you count the etf cost? Because after two years anyways it wouldnt have an etf.

Edit: nvm i see it was changed lol

• Like 1

curious why did you count the etf cost? Because after two years anyways it wouldnt have an etf.

I don't know. I guess I wasn't thinking. It turns out, that owning a tablet on a 2yr contract is cheaper across the board than to own one on Easy Pay. Thanks for questioning my math.

• Like 2

I don't know. I guess I wasn't thinking. It turns out, that owning a tablet on a 2yr contract is cheaper across the board than to own one on Easy Pay. Thanks for questioning my math.

Oh I was just curious why the price was so much higher than what I calculated before getting one.

Oh I was just curious why the price was so much higher than what I calculated before getting one.

Yeah, I did correct it. You'll just have to refresh the page to get the updated table. Thanks again for noticing.

• Like 1

Is the 25MB plan only available if you buy a tablet in a store? Looking at tablets on the site, the cheapest plan I'm seeing is the $10 100MB

Edit; Nevermind, just noticed you have to scroll to the right to get to it.

Is the 25MB plan only available if you buy a tablet in a store? Looking at tablets on the site, the cheapest plan I'm seeing is the $10 100MB

Edit; Nevermind, just noticed you have to scroll to the right to get to it.

Yeah, they make that button hard to see so you don't really know you can click it. Just a minor annoyance.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Great table -- thanks for putting that together!

Just a reminder, though - if you're buying an Apple product, you can always pay full price at the Apple Store and finance via Barclay's Apple Financing card at 0% interest for 12 months (for purchases over $400, I think - don't quote me on that!). You should be able to add data via the 2 year contract if you buy the cellular model.

My upgrade cycle usually follows this path:

1. Finance a new iPad;

2. Use the new iPad, make monthly payments;

3. Sell the iPad on Craigslist 11-12 months later, make up the difference between payments to date & balance remaining;

4. Repeat.

The nature of my work (iOS Design/Development) requires me to make this purchase every year to keep current on Apple's hardware/capabilities. At least, that's what I tell my wife. :)

• Like 1

Great table -- thanks for putting that together!

Just a reminder, though - if you're buying an Apple product, you can always pay full price at the Apple Store and finance via Barclay's Apple Financing card at 0% interest for 12 months (for purchases over $400, I think - don't quote me on that!). You should be able to add data via the 2 year contract if you buy the cellular model.

My upgrade cycle usually follows this path:

1. Finance a new iPad;

2. Use the new iPad, make monthly payments;

3. Sell the iPad on Craigslist 11-12 months later, make up the difference between payments to date & balance remaining;

4. Repeat.

The nature of my work (iOS Design/Development) requires me to make this purchase every year to keep current on Apple's hardware/capabilities. At least, that's what I tell my wife. :)

My credit is shot, so Barclays rejects me every time. So financing thru Easy Pay is my only option. However, the $349.99 on the 1st Gen iPad mini 64GB is a really good deal and I could probably fetch $450-500 on eBay for it, and walk away somewhat happy. But I like my iPad mini and plan on keeping it for a little while.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

• 2 months later...