weird 3G behavior

I live in Frederick County Maryland my wife's iPhone 5 and my mega if we have LTE turned on oUr 3G speed over the past week have gone into the tank if we turn LTE off and run 3G only there for only using EVDO we get about a megabit which is what we should be getting on 3G I don't know what is wrong with EHRPD in my area but it's been going on for a week Sprint has no idea I'm just curious what is the forums thoughts on what could be going on so I can help possibly troubleshoot a bit

*edit* i put Virginia instead of Maryland sorry.

Edited by hescominsoon

eHRPD is just a software for a seemless handoff from LTE to 3G, essentially eHRPD is EVDO.  You will get the same speeds on 3G EVDO as if you were on eHRPD.  Why would you turn off LTE if it is available in your area?     

Same here in MI lately on my Note II.  Data seems to just hang up on EHRPD.  It sometimes unhangs itself but not often.  Works fine on EVDO A (by forcing CDMA mode) or on LTE.

Incidentally, to reference a couple of posts up, on the radio level, the difference between EHRPD and EVDO is nothing.  EHRPD sends data through the LTE ground network and DDCs instead of the MSC.  This way, data goes through the same routing for both EVDO and LTE, allowing for better hand off and fewer lost sessions when travelling between them.

If I remember correctly... On the recent root metrics report on network latency it showed both eHRPD and EV-DO performance, and EV-DO had better numbers. Perhaps there is a difference? I've been noticing better performance on EV-DO when my phone drops eEHRPD.

This sounds like a software problem or routing congestion at the DDC. That's my guess.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

eHRPD is just a software for a seemless handoff from LTE to 3G, essentially eHRPD is EVDO.  You will get the same speeds on 3G EVDO as if you were on eHRPD.  Why would you turn off LTE if it is available in your area?     

LTE ISN't available yet only 3g.  all i know is that with ehrpd i get nothing..if i turn off LTE(which kills ehrpd) i get my 3g bandwidth.  

The op doesnt have LTE, but to answer your question as to why someone would... i work at the airport in Phoenix.  We have LTE at the Airport occasionally im on the fringe of a couple of towers' range..  i routinely shut off my LTE because ill get stuck connected to one with Signal Check showing 110 or more db so im not getting any data... but connected to LTE so until more towers closer or actually on the airport grounds get LTE when im at work ill routinely shut it off or ill have unusable LTE its pretty but kind of worthless lol 

We haven't had eHRPD here in Charlotte for about 2 months now.  Wonder if there is an ongoing issue with it...

I have been seeing a lot of reports of this in the Charlotte thread. Since I have an iPhone, I have no way to tell if I am on eHRPD or EVDO Rev A.

I assume I'm not getting eHRPD when I start loading a webpage on 3G and then my phone switches to LTE and all of a sudden my phone says "Could not load webpage because the internet connection was lost" means that it had a hard hand-off to LTE (by being on Rev A rather than eHRPD). Not too big of a deal, considering all I have to do is refresh the page and it loads, but it is odd.

-Anthony

I've only lost eHRPD and been on EVDO once. It didn't seem to cause any negative impact on my data session, but just as quickly as it showed up, it vanished the next day. Not sure what caused the random change, though.

Dumb question. How come Samsung says they need to restart when switching from 3g/4g to 3g only but lg doesn't? My experiences with this are on a S4 and LG Optimus F3.

Edited by awagner420
  • Like 1