Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

Couple of items.

Have used the 'test' Wimax tower in Springfield (now Clearwire tower) for nearly 3 years. It is no longer in service, had to switch to big red for MiFi - bummer (only for work 8-5).

Also, have talked with local store Sprint reps several times this year.

LTE was first due before summer, then by July, now end of summer (end of September ???).

According to reps this is due to Comcast not hooking up fiber for towers (at least in a timely fashion).

Am trying to hold off moving to big red for phone service so I can have decent evening data speeds, but not sure how long I can endure at .04 mb speeds.

Anyone out ther have a different or more recent update - my last info above is from the end of June.

The delay in Springfield is certainly backhaul related. All the sites have received their Network Vision upgrades and have LTE equipment installed. I thought though that the sites were CenturyLink around Springfield? Maybe Sprint switched to Comcast because of CL delays?

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone know when actual upgrades for LTE coming to Quincy? I always see eHRPD and get speeds of .4 dl and .9  ul 

Looks like most of the area is done. So it should only be an issue of having back-haul at the sites to have the LTE activated. If the back-haul is there, you're just waiting for a tech to come back out, flick the switch and do some testing.

Anyone know when actual upgrades for LTE coming to Quincy? I always see eHRPD and get speeds of .4 dl and .9  ul

I saw them put the upgrades on the 30th st tower next to the mall about 6 months ago.

Techs onsite said that was their last upgrade location in Quincy. We're definitely waiting on backhaul or completion testing.

Speeds have been extra sluggish and data has been dropping lately. Hopefully that's a sign of a switch soon. It's been a dreadful wait.

• 2 weeks later...

Just drove by the tower by South Neil in Champaign .  (East of tracks and South of  St Mary's road).   Fiber from tower still sticking out of ground but the ground has been painted / flagged to show utilities.   It looks like we will have 4G soon. 

• Like 1

Hi. I'm new here. Anyways. Quincy il has upgrades going on. I called sprint. They said they were supposed to be done last night by 7pm. Anyways. Still have 3g. With the 4g kicking on and off at night. But it hasn't done that in a while. So I'm assuming the tower closest to my house is done. Does anyone have any input on this area. Thanks.

Hi, Central Illinois folks.  I don't mean to butt in, but you could instantly answer a lot of your questions if you had access to the Sponsor Maps.  Consider a $10 or $15 donation.  Not only will you be able to see the exact status of your local sites, but you'll be helping to keep this forum operating.  Follow the link at just below this post if you are interested.

(And I am a Central Illinois native, but I was chased out by an angry mob many years ago.  I am only allowed back every 5 years for my high school reunions.)

• Like 2

Just drove by tower on South mattis and West Springfield streets (champaign).   Both towers appear to be connected to fiber.  New poles showing buried fiber close to both towers!   I hope they turn LTE on soon. 

• Like 1