AT&T LTE in the PCS Band

milan03

Maybe it's budget minded college kids and Lifeline users along with Boost subs who migrated from IDEN to CDMA2000?

Yeah, I am thinking southern poverty.  Unlimited data is problematic in areas with impoverished populations who will not or cannot also budget for wired broadband.  Smartphones become their de facto laptops.

AJ

Yeah, I am thinking southern poverty.  Unlimited data is problematic in areas with impoverished populations who will not or cannot also budget for wired broadband.  Smartphones become their de facto laptops.

AJ

Or Southern areas where the Bells have more or less bought off the politicians so that municipal broadband can't happen. If I'm not mistaken, Louisiana did that after some of the communities there won the fight for local fiber against Bell South. 

Yeah, I am thinking southern poverty. Unlimited data is problematic in areas with impoverished populations who will not or cannot also budget for wired broadband. Smartphones become their de facto laptops.

AJ

Bingo. All these areas have 6-7 carriers active and data is abysmal. You go to the other areas of town and LTE and EVDO generally works for nornal usage.

Also remember, lots of impoverished areas are under served by the Bells and cable companies. They may not have access to anything EXCEPT EV-DO/HSPA+/LTE.

The areas I speak of have Cox cable and that tech from 1998 they call Uverse.

• Like 1

The areas I speak of have Cox cable and that tech from 1998 they call Uverse.

Maybe I think differently because I live in a Frontier area and they suck eggs. Good thing my cable co is somewhat competent.

• Like 1

Also remember, lots of impoverished areas are under served by the Bells and cable companies. They may not have access to anything EXCEPT EV-DO/HSPA+/LTE.

Exactly.

But then there are people on here and other forums that tell people to move house if they need a good ISP.....etc..

Exactly.

But then there are people on here and other forums that tell people to move house if they need a good ISP.....etc..

As crazy as it sounds, the ISP should be considered when buying a house, IMO. 

Exactly.

I get the frustration of some who think users are clogging smartphone pipes with traffic that could be off-loaded to wired broadband, but people on here also have to understand the movement by Verizon and AT&T to neglect wired broadband in rural areas and force everyone into LTE where they can make exorbitant profits on rural customers with no other choice.

If anything I wish more people would say "enough" and start fighting the political wars needed to make sure wired broadband in rural areas not only goes to more places but is enhanced, whether that's through co-op's, more cable coverage in rural areas, or fiber coverage in rural municipalities with no real choice.

• Like 5

I get the frustration of some who think users are clogging smartphone pipes with traffic that could be off-loaded to wired broadband, but people on here also have to understand the movement by Verizon and AT&T to neglect wired broadband in rural areas and force everyone into LTE where they can make exorbitant profits on rural customers with no other choice. If anything I wish more people would say "enough" and start fighting the political wars needed to make sure wired broadband in rural areas not only goes to more places but is enhanced, whether that's through co-op's, more cable coverage in rural areas, or fiber coverage in rural municipalities with no real choice.

Ah, the power of Whining. People would be surprised how far it can take them.

I get the frustration of some who think users are clogging smartphone pipes with traffic that could be off-loaded to wired broadband, but people on here also have to understand the movement by Verizon and AT&T to neglect wired broadband in rural areas and force everyone into LTE where they can make exorbitant profits on rural customers with no other choice. If anything I wish more people would say "enough" and start fighting the political wars needed to make sure wired broadband in rural areas not only goes to more places but is enhanced, whether that's through co-op's, more cable coverage in rural areas, or fiber coverage in rural municipalities with no real choice.

That is what is happening in the rural areas and urban areas too.

People on here moan about people actually using their cell phones on Sprint, playing videos and playing games on their devices are seen as a waste of 'unlimited data'.

Clearwire is just about to go away too.

As crazy as it sounds, the ISP should be considered when buying a house, IMO. 

Believe or not, people can't always make choices like that.

The phone and cable companies lie to people too,

"Hey company-X, can I get service at this address I'm looking to buy?"

-"Of course, fibre etc"

"Ok, bought the house, please connect"

-"I don't know who told you that, maybe in 5 years if we get federal tax dollars to help"

"But you send me fliers every week telling me service is available"

-"No we don't"

I read that all the time.

• Like 2

Believe or not, people can't always make choices like that.

The phone and cable companies lie to people too,

"Hey company-X, can I get service at this address I'm looking to buy?"

-"Of course, fibre etc"

"Ok, bought the house, please connect"

-"I don't know who told you that, maybe in 5 years if we get federal tax dollars to help"

"But you send me fliers every week telling me service is available"

-"No we don't"

I read that all the time.

Verizon did that to me for a while. They deployed FiOS to the surrounding neighborhoods and even nearby blocks, but not my particular block. 

I get mail from AT&T about their u verse service being available and how I qualify for a promotional package at least weekly, but if I call AT&T or go to the store in town, I get told it may be in 2-3 years or may be never. It's either Comcast or Satellite here. Both are expensive and unreliable. At least my Sprint EVDO is solid, so I use my phone most often.

Anyway, AT&T has plenty of PCS spectrum available and will only enhance their holdings at least in secondary markets with the purchase of Leap. If they can offload their WCDMA to 850MHz and then use their PCS holdings for LTE, they will be in great shape for years to come. I mean they have scads of 700MHz that they can use for LTE and can only get more once they acquire Dish's 700Mhz block E licenses.  They won't have to touch WCS for a long time.

Edited by bigsnake49
  • Like 1

That is what is happening in the rural areas and urban areas too.

People on here moan about people actually using their cell phones on Sprint, playing videos and playing games on their devices are seen as a waste of 'unlimited data'.

Clearwire is just about to go away too.

I hope that's not directed at me. I have no problem with people using, actually using, their smartphone data while using their smartphone. So long as they are not in their home surrounded by their WiFi network.

I have a problem with people cutting the cord and trying to use their Sprint smartphones as their personal WiFi and routers. Unlimited is not meant to be used this way. The rest of us should not subsidize other Sprint customers to use our network as their home ISP. However, if you leave your home WiFi and you want to play games or stream things on your smartphone, go for it. If it becomes a problem for Sprint, they will add more capacity or change the rules.

But if you want to use your smartphone data for something else, you need to get a hotspot plan or MiFi. Anything else is abusive, unethical and a violation. I don't consider these points moaning.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I hope that's not directed at me. I have no problem with people using, actually using, their smartphone data while using their smartphone. So long as they are not in their home surrounded by their WiFi network.

I have a problem with people cutting the cord and trying to use their Sprint smartphones as their personal WiFi and routers. Unlimited is not meant to be used this way. The rest of us should not subsidize other Sprint customers to use our network as their home ISP. However, if you leave your home WiFi and you want to play games or stream things on your smartphone, go for it. If it becomes a problem for Sprint, they will add more capacity or change the rules.

But if you want to use your smartphone data for something else, you need to get a hotspot plan or MiFi. Anything else is abusive, unethical and a violation. I don't consider these points moaning.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk

I can see people's arguments here, but what do you do when the local telecom infrastructure is complete garbage? I'm lucky to have a decent, not great, but usable provider of cable internet and VoIP. The people who don't have that luxury, are doomed to capped broadband through Verizon/AT&T's LTE networks.  I had Frontier before and they were complete and total garbage. 

Read Bruce Kushnick's teletruth website. What has happened to the telecommunications system, especially on the landline side, has been shameful. Government regulations not applied well or written correctly combined with the RBOC's themselves engaged in regulatory capture. For a lot of people who get kicked off Internet like Clear, their choices may be either cable or FiOS/UVerse if they're lucky. Some people, especially in poorer areas, don't have a choice, even in areas that are surprisingly urban. 

Then when this competition has been dismantled, the Bells use lobbying groups like TIA and ALEC to further dismantle regulations that affect them while simultaneously adding regulations for potential competitors like Google, Sonic, or potential municipal fiber optic setups. Unlimited isn't just under attack for wireless, there is also a systematic effort to dismantle it for wireline service. What do those people do when they're kicked off Clear and don't have a landline option? Move? 

I don't condone the overuse or abuse of the Sprint network in any way, shape, or form. That said, the transition to TD-LTE from WiMax will affect people, much like the landline transition from TDM to IP, as needed as that is in many ways. 

I can see people's arguments here, but what do you do when the local telecom infrastructure is complete garbage? I'm lucky to have a decent, not great, but usable provider of cable internet and VoIP. The people who don't have that luxury, are doomed to capped broadband through Verizon/AT&T's LTE networks.  I had Frontier before and they were complete and total garbage. 

Read Bruce Kushnick's teletruth website. What has happened to the telecommunications system, especially on the landline side, has been shameful. Government regulations not applied well or written correctly combined with the RBOC's themselves engaged in regulatory capture. For a lot of people who get kicked off Internet like Clear, their choices may be either cable or FiOS/UVerse if they're lucky. Some people, especially in poorer areas, don't have a choice, even in areas that are surprisingly urban. 

Then when this competition has been dismantled, the Bells use lobbying groups like TIA and ALEC to further dismantle regulations that affect them while simultaneously adding regulations for potential competitors like Google, Sonic, or potential municipal fiber optic setups. Unlimited isn't just under attack for wireless, there is also a systematic effort to dismantle it for wireline service. What do those people do when they're kicked off Clear and don't have a landline option? Move? 

Yes.  If broadband is important to them.  Or lobby their representatives.  However, your geographic location does not give you a right to violate Sprint's Terms & Conditions.  Period.

If people want to violate the rules, why don't they become Verizon customers and try to just circumvent their data caps some how?  Because it's difficult and not allowed.  It's just as not allowed to try to use your unlimited Sprint phone in an unauthorized manner.  However, because it's easier to break the rules than bypassing Verizon's data caps then it should be allowed?  Hell no.

If you are looking for a home ISP, Sprint smartphone unlimited is not the answer.  Unless you can do everything you need at home using your smartphone and its screen.  Then I say go for that.

Stealing from a store is unlawful.  Stealing something from a store that you need is just as unlawful.  Unauthorized tethering is a violation.  If you live in a rural area, get a hotspot.  Heck, get one from each carrier if you want.  Then use them within their allotments.  Or even run over and pay the fees.  But that is the right way to handle living in a rural area without broadband options.

I lived in rural areas since 2002.  I completely understand the predicament some folks are in.  I am for the first time in many years living in town and getting a very robust 100Mbps service to my house.  However, except for an occasional emergency used sparingly, I did not tether unauthorized.  I paid for the appropriate plans and used them within the T&C's.  And I had to make adjustments to my lifestyle accordingly.  Like not streaming things.  If living in a rural area with poor internet service is a higher priority for some folks, that's fine.  But it doesn't give them the right to violate Sprint's T&C's.  Sprint is not in the welfare rural wireless broadband business.

Robert

• Like 1

I want to make it Clear (pardon the pun) that I do not condone breaking the T's and C's, or using a smartphone without a WiFi home connection, in any way, shape, or form.

That said, I see people's frustrations when broadband is vital to daily life. I just don't see a solution, unfortunately.

I want to make it Clear (pardon the pun) that I do not condone breaking the T's and C's, or using a smartphone without a WiFi home connection, in any way, shape, or form.

That said, I see people's frustrations when broadband is vital to daily life. I just don't see a solution, unfortunately.

Yeah, me either. I do want a solution for them as well.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro