AT&T to launch their first VoLTE smartphone before years end?

ericdabbs

Absolutely nothing because it's interleaved and interferes with public safety. AFAIK.

It is interleaved but it does not interfere with public safety. However it may interfere with other user of the band. Will they give it back to the FCC? Sell it? Donate it? Reband it? Buy out the rest of the spectrum holders?

Edited by bigsnake49

Your comical.  "Desperately needs?"  When AT&T does it first and better they are desperate.  Right!

I'm sure by your own analysis Verizon desperately needed LTE because their 3G network sucks right?  

When AT&T goes and bids on 600 MHz spectrum please don't be the first in line to shout they already have too much spectrum and don't need it  

AT&T desperately needs LTE-A to stay competitive with the rest. They're mixing and matching 5Mhz/10Mhz in various markets as they have almost no contiguous clean spectrum swaths that are larger than 15Mhz FDD.

Verizon doesn't need LTE-A in immediate future they have clean chunks for 20Mhz FDD LTE in many markets. That'll also help battery life on the terminal side, as the UE radio avoids two streams/twice the processing power drawn.

T-Movile has quite a few markets with 2x20Mhz options planned out for 2014/15 time frame, and Sprint can just open its wings and fly on the insane amount of 2.6Ghz band from Clearwire.

Your comical.  "Desperately needs?"  When AT&T does it first and better they are desperate.  Right!

I'm sure by your own analysis Verizon desperately needed LTE because their 3G network sucks right?  

When AT&T goes and bids on 600 MHz spectrum please don't be the first in line to shout they already have too much spectrum and don't need it  

Has AT&T ever done something "better" than other US operators? Do they currently have a commercial LTE-A network?

I thought so. 

Now spare us from your personal attacks.

Moving on.. 

On a side note, Verizon actually started commercially broadcasting 20Mhz FDD LTE in NYC, and ironically I caught it earlier today during T-Mobile's UnCarrier 3.0 event in Bryant Park NYC.

Just as we are talking about no need for Carrier Aggregation lol...

ZybTFbE.png

• Like 1

Has AT&T ever done something "better" than other US operators? Do they currently have a commercial LTE-A network?

Um...yes? If you define "better" as "fastest average data speeds", then AT&T is (in aggregate) one of the best networks in the USA.

I get the hate. I know AT&T has terrible policies / pricing / ect. They abuse their landline monopoly. I truly get that. I know for a long time, they had a Sprint-like problem of not investing in their network for years.

But this "AT&T's network sucks" opinion is at least two years out of date in some markets. AT&T is consistently and objectively bringing home independent network awards in data speeds in a large number of markets. And it's not just on data speeds, but they're even winning awards in some markets for data reliability, and voice/sms service.

For smaller carriers like Sprint and T-Mobile to compete, they need to know what they're up against. And right now, Verizon and AT&T are usually trading 1st place in service quality in most markets across the US.

Here's a sampling of major markets where AT&T has won first place awards this year on data, voice, and sms service combined :

Washington DC - (Jan 2013)

http://www.rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/washington-dc/washington-d.c.-january-2013/

Seattle, WA - (June 2013)

http://www.rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/seattle/seattle-june-2013/

Boston, MA - (July 2013)

http://www.rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/boston/boston-ma-july-2013/

Austin, TX - (Sept 2013)

http://rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/austin/austin-tx-september-2013/

I thought so. 

Now spare us from your personal attacks.

Moving on.. 

On a side note, Verizon actually started commercially broadcasting 20Mhz FDD LTE in NYC, and ironically I caught it earlier today during T-Mobile's UnCarrier 3.0 event in Bryant Park NYC.

Just as we are talking about no need for Carrier Aggregation lol...

ZybTFbE.png

That's great to see! Verizon is well positioned from a spectrum point of view as far as strictly mobile is concerned. AT&T as well, once they consolidate their various 700MHz holdings and reclaim PCS and then 850MHz for LTE. WCS could help but I don't think they will need it for a while. T-Mobile with the addition of Metro and various spectrum swap deals also is positioned well. I was hoping that Sprint would have absorbed both Metro and Leap, but hey chose to go with Clearwire instead. I still want to know what they're going to to with the oodles of BRS/EBS spectrum they have and no, I don't think you need 160MHz of spectrum for mobile when you only have 50M customers. So Sprint/Softbank, enlighten us.

There are lots of markets where VZW has not yet leveraged their AWS assets, for example where I live I'd be shocked to ever see AWS anything other than when T-Mobile gets around to upgrading the EDGE where I live. They need it even where I live (population 8000, number of people on VZW seemingly 90 % of the town.)

I've tried for years to get VZW to add a third cell in downtown Chester and VZW blew that request off. It shouldn't be surprising that I'm seriously considering AT&T given what they have gained spectrum wise post ATNI buyout.