Crowd sourced coverage

mhammett

http://www.cellmapper.net/ is another one. Even before I found S4GRU, I felt that Sensorly was the most popular service, and they had the best mobile app. OpenSignal has some strange things in their app (like the "which direction is your tower" estimator that I have never observed working with any accuracy) that make me scratch my head.

-Mike

I've used both Sensorly and OpenSignal, but Sensorly is far less buggy and feels more polished. Doesn't Root Metrics use crowd sourcing for their coverage maps? I have installed and poked around a couple more but quickly deleted them. Most everything out there for "signal info" or "coverage comparisons" is crap besides SignalCheck (Pro) and Sensorly.

http://www.cellmapper.net/ is another one. Even before I found S4GRU, I felt that Sensorly was the most popular service, and they had the best mobile app. OpenSignal has some strange things in their app (like the "which direction is your tower" estimator that I have never observed working with any accuracy) that make me scratch my head.

-Mike

I was looking for that one the other day! I used it back in the day on my Epic. Thanks for the link!

I have been messing around with an app called Net Monitor. When it's active it will log your location, signal strength and your SID, NID and BID that you can export to a KML file. That can be opened by Google maps and you can selectively see how the coverage is working on a sector by sector basis. It's pretty neat. It's not crowd sourced at all which was the next step I was wanting to take it. Find a way to take uploaded KML files, average the data and make it publicly accessible. That's the part where I've not dabbled much at all. 

My personal experience is that the KML files can get quite excessive in size which makes GMaps very unresponsive when opening it the first time. 

Thoughts?

I have been messing around with an app called Net Monitor. When it's active it will log your location, signal strength and your SID, NID and BID that you can export to a KML file. That can be opened by Google maps and you can selectively see how the coverage is working on a sector by sector basis. It's pretty neat. It's not crowd sourced at all which was the next step I was wanting to take it. Find a way to take uploaded KML files, average the data and make it publicly accessible. That's the part where I've not dabbled much at all.

My personal experience is that the KML files can get quite excessive in size which makes GMaps very unresponsive when opening it the first time.

Thoughts?

Netmonitor only works if the sites in your market broadcast their true locations. In most markets, they do not. Rather they broadcast some point offset, sometimes quite sways away, for each sector.

Sent from my HTC ONE

Netmonitor only works if the sites in your market broadcast their true locations. In most markets, they do not. Rather they broadcast some point offset, sometimes quite sways away, for each sector.

Sent from my HTC ONE

That may be true. I know in the Columbus market they've been accurate. But the site's location is irrelevant if you're mapping signal quality. Your GPS location, the RSSI and the site's SID/NID/BID are relevant.

That may be true. I know in the Columbus market they've been accurate. But the site's location is irrelevant if you're mapping signal quality. Your GPS location, the RSSI and the site's SID/NID/BID are relevant.

True. I just automatically assumed you were wanting the site location. Reading it again, I see you didn't actually mention that.

Sent from my HTC ONE