My Way is the only way in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana

Rocket87

I can only speak for these three states but I'd imagine it is like this company wide. Per the retail director of OKI corporate stores all new customers have to be put on the new plans. No exception, if a customer demands the old plans a store manager must speak with the customer and okay the plan. As of now people adding lines or upgrading are NOT being forced onto the My Way plans, but they attempt to sell/switch them over.

I'm not sure what retailers are doing, I just know this is the directive all corporate reps are following.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

I can only speak for these three states but I'd imagine it is like this company wide. Per the retail director of OKI corporate stores all new customers have to be put on the new plans. No exception, if a customer demands the old plans a store manager must speak with the customer and okay the plan. As of now people adding lines or upgrading are NOT being forced onto the My Way plans, but they attempt to sell/switch them over.

I'm not sure what retailers are doing, I just know this is the directive all corporate reps are following.

This is really interesting. thanks for the information :):D

Well, I guess we'll see on Wednesday in the Playbook if that's what it'll be for indirect and third-party dealers. Because, as of today, we still can put whoever we want on whatever plan, no "manager approval" needed.

That being said, we've switched a lot of people over. For one or two lines, you get more for you money, and you save a ton if you have more than 5 lines, or mix and match with basic phones. Saved one guy over $100 a month.

Appreciate the update.  Darn.

Robert

Not really surprised. If they had intended to keep offering the older plans they would have added them back in some fashion to the website by now instead of hiding that they exist.

The lame thing about this is that you no longer can use your corporate discount on these plans.  Makes it a net add of $5 for me with only two lines.  I wanted to change in order to ensure I wouldn't lose unlimited data, but I'm not giving up my 20% discount... Seemed kind of silly to me.

It makes sense - looks like they want to "simplify" the rate structure.  I don't know if it is the simplest thing in the world, but it definitely "evolves" the plan to match what other competitors are doing.  At least it helps make a better comparison when customers are shopping.

I've been thinking about it for a while and this is probably a step in the right direction for Sprint's general consumer.  I don't think that Sprint will modify existing rate plans any time soon - their churn is already too high and they are probably happy with their existing subs.  Even the low-churn-leader, Verizon, hasn't messed with grandfathered unlimited customers (outside of taking away their upgrade, which was aggressive as it was).

Indirect channel is not doing this.  We are told to offer the new plans first, but ultimately do whatever the customer wants.

Indirect channel is not doing this.  We are told to offer the new plans first, but ultimately do whatever the customer wants.

Corporate directive is not doing this either. Just those areas. Probably some area director wanting to show he can make a change on a large scale if he tries. I hate bureaucracy.

• Like 3

The lame thing about this is that you no longer can use your corporate discount on these plans.  Makes it a net add of $5 for me with only two lines.  I wanted to change in order to ensure I wouldn't lose unlimited data, but I'm not giving up my 20% discount... Seemed kind of silly to me.

You do still receive NVP discounts on my way plans, just not on the all in my way plan. (simply everything w/ 5gb hotspot) Which is the same as is was before. The difference is, your discount now comes off the data plan ($30 or $20 per phone) as opposed to receiving your discount off the primary line on a family plan. This does end up netting a smaller discount unless you have more than 4 phones with unlimited data. The new plans, however, will end up being more expensive because of the higher cost per line even after receiving your discount on 3+ phones. Make sense?

• Like 1

You do still receive NVP discounts on my way plans, just not on the all in my way plan. (simply everything w/ 5gb hotspot) Which is the same as is was before. The difference is, your discount now comes off the data plan ($30 or $20 per phone) as opposed to receiving your discount off the primary line on a family plan. This does end up netting a smaller discount unless you have more than 4 phones with unlimited data. The new plans, however, will end up being more expensive because of the higher cost per line even after receiving your discount on 3+ phones. Make sense?

That makes sense and I appreciate you posting this.  In talking with Sprint chat, she mentioned specifically that the discount would no longer apply and that is why my bill would actually increase making it a bad move.  I'm currently on a 1500 minute family plan and wanted to move to an unlimited my way plan.  I'm not complaining about how much I pay, (Sprint's rates are simply good, especially with a 20% discount) I just really wanted to make the switch for the guarantee of unlimited data forever.  I'm nervous, scratch that paranoid, that I will wake up one day and no longer have unlimited data.  Quite honestly that is the major reason why I'm still with Sprint.  Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

My contract ended today (happy contract ending day to me!). Just checked a New York zip code to compare my shared Everything Data plan to the new ones to see if it was worth making the switch on my three lines. I was shocked to see the Everything plans are completely gone. The My Way plans are all that are available, and they are more expensive in my case. It's a real shame as it was one of the few things Sprint had going for it over the others.

What's the consensus on how long it'll be before you can't even renew the Everything plans? I have my fingers tightly crossed I'll be able to upgrade to the Nexus 5 under the old contract. If I have to switch, other carriers will be a whole lot more attractive.

What's the consensus on how long it'll be before you can't even renew the Everything plans? I have my fingers tightly crossed I'll be able to upgrade to the Nexus 5 under the old contract. If I have to switch, other carriers will be a whole lot more attractive.

Doesn't Sprint always allow existing customers to renew the plan they're already on? There are still people on SERO plans. New customers, however, won't be able to get the old "Everything" plans after October 11.

• Like 1

My contract ended today (happy contract ending day to me!). Just checked a New York zip code to compare my shared Everything Data plan to the new ones to see if it was worth making the switch on my three lines. I was shocked to see the Everything plans are completely gone. The My Way plans are all that are available, and they are more expensive in my case. It's a real shame as it was one of the few things Sprint had going for it over the others.

You can renew the plan you're on.  If you order the device, and activate it on the line, the same plan will be used.  If you open a new account, you may not be able to in some areas, supposedly.

Robert

• Like 1

You can renew the plan you're on.  If you order the device, and activate it on the line, the same plan will be used.  If you open a new account, you may not be able to in some areas, supposedly.

Robert

That would be great. I know other carriers haven't used the same policy.

Is this also true if I want to remain off-contract for the long term and bring my own device?

Is this also true if I want to remain off-contract for the long term and bring my own device?

Yes and no.  Sprint does not allow BYOD off contract for new lines.  If you bring a BYOD device for a new line, you will be required to sign a 2 year agreement.  But you will keep your upgrade and can use that any time during the two years.

However, Sprint does allow you to switch devices on your account any time on an existing line, whether in or out of your contract.  I change devices all the time.  Several times a week.  My line is currently off contract.  I own about a dozen phones that I'm constantly switching out and testing.  You can even swap phones online.  No problems there.

Robert

• Like 1

Yes and no.  Sprint does not allow BYOD off contract for new lines.  If you bring a BYOD device for a new line, you will be required to sign a 2 year agreement.  But you will keep your upgrade and can use that any time during the two years.

However, Sprint does allow you to switch devices on your account any time on an existing line, whether in or out of your contract.  I change devices all the time.  Several times a week.  My line is currently off contract.  I own about a dozen phones that I'm constantly switching out and testing.  You can even swap phones online.  No problems there.

Robert

Cool. I'm off contract but I've been with Sprint for four years, so I would imagine they should let me and the other three lines on my account do a BYOD. So it sounds like they won't force me to change plans down the road no matter what - whether I remain off contract and do BYOD or renew and get a device through them. Pretty cool - it's the ideal situation to be in.

Verizon killed the unlimited, but all the old plans are still active, just with the 2GB cap.

No one was/is forced on the share everything.

Plenty of people still have Altel plans as well, but those are being ended.