solar panel back plate?

ajr0203

So, I've had this idea for a while and I was wondering if this is possible and/or in the works if anyone knows. I'm not really afraid to post my idea here because quite honestly I would never have the resources to build a prototype, so here it goes. Wouldn't it be awesome if they could build a cell phone with the back plate being a solar panel? I know the technology is there because we use it in other areas, such as on top of roofs to cut down on electricity usage. I have a key chain that is a solar panel charger. It comes with a mini cable for connecting it to a variety of different devices, and it just charges while I'm outside or under very bright indoor lights. So I just think with all of us with needing better batteries, especially those of us who use our smartphones heavily throughout the day, why not just have a solar panel built onto the back plate? I don't think it would harm the battery considering we use li-ion batteries. Also, it wouldn't necessarily make us never need to use standard charging methods, especially in the winter months when there isn't nearly as much sunshine. I don't know, just an idea I've had for quite some years. What do you guys think? Frivolous idea? good idea? possible? not possible? not probable?

So, I've had this idea for a while and I was wondering if this is possible and/or in the works if anyone knows. I'm not really afraid to post my idea here because quite honestly I would never have the resources to build a prototype, so here it goes. Wouldn't it be awesome if they could build a cell phone with the back plate being a solar panel? I know the technology is there because we use it in other areas, such as on top of roofs to cut down on electricity usage. I have a key chain that is a solar panel charger. It comes with a mini cable for connecting it to a variety of different devices, and it just charges while I'm outside or under very bright indoor lights. So I just think with all of us with needing better batteries, especially those of us who use our smartphones heavily throughout the day, why not just have a solar panel built onto the back plate? I don't think it would harm the battery considering we use li-ion batteries. Also, it wouldn't necessarily make us never need to use standard charging methods, especially in the winter months when there isn't nearly as much sunshine. I don't know, just an idea I've had for quite some years. What do you guys think? Frivolous idea? good idea? possible? not possible? not probable?

the amount of time to recharge a phone with solar panel of that size you would never be using the phone... face down all the time...

seems to me that qi charging would be better off at least with that i can see my screen..

I think you could get a solar panel charger for the back cover of the Samsung Replenish. Not sure how well it would work, though.

That phone is the saddest excuse for a smartphone ever. Yet my mother used one for an entire upgrade cycle. My aunt and stepdad still use theirs, but neither are heavy phone users aside from calling, texting, and GPS.

the amount of time to recharge a phone with solar panel of that size you would never be using the phone... face down all the time...

seems to me that qi charging would be better off at least with that i can see my screen..

hmmm..the key chain solar charger I have(which is approximately the size of a large key fob) if left out in the light for only about a half hour usually gives my s4 about a 6% increase in battery. It isn't much, and I wasn't thinking much out of my idea, but enough to keep you going throughout the day. Maybe an overall increase of 20% at the end of the day.

hmmm..the key chain solar charger I have(which is approximately the size of a large key fob) if left out in the light for only about a half hour usually gives my s4 about a 6% increase in battery. It isn't much, and I wasn't thinking much out of my idea, but enough to keep you going throughout the day. Maybe an overall increase of 20% at the end of the day.

true but at the end of the day cell companies want you to be using your phone not having it face down charging... also the added weight and thickness to the phone are both counter to what they consider big selling points...

though i wonder if they could pull it off through the glass.. my casio watch is solar powered... (granted way lower voltages) its through the glass... i remember reading someplace about transparent solar panels  now this was 2011 they were at 60% transparent, which would seriously screw with an hd screen if they can get that dowwn more.. id say that would be even more likely... then adding it to the back panel would be probably a big sell to them...that way you could be charging while using and while not...  all the time the back panel would be just additional charge.. that would make it a definate selling point

• Like 1

true but at the end of the day cell companies want you to be using your phone not having it face down charging... also the added weight and thickness to the phone are both counter to what they consider big selling points...

though i wonder if they could pull it off through the glass.. my casio watch is solar powered... (granted way lower voltages) its through the glass... i remember reading someplace about transparent solar panels  now this was 2011 they were at 60% transparent, which would seriously screw with an hd screen if they can get that dowwn more.. id say that would be even more likely... then adding it to the back panel would be probably a big sell to them...that way you could be charging while using and while not...  all the time the back panel would be just additional charge.. that would make it a definate selling point

Now there's a good idea. If they could figure a way to put it through the glass without ruining the HD quality. All solar panels I've seen, including the one I own, has that bluish-black tint to it and in the sunlight it almost looks green. If they could figure out a way to not disturb the color quality of your screen that would be awesome. I suppose the added weight would be bothersome to a group of people. In my opinion, when a phone has a little more weight to it it almost feels as if it has been built better. Even though not everyone likes this(added weight) perhaps they would jump on board with having a phone that "charges itself". Plus, you could also get the vote from all of the eco-friendly activists :D

• Like 1

Lets think about this. You have to identify your most likely user. In my opinion that would be the person who does not have ready access to a outlet. That is is usually a person who works outside. Those folk usually have their phone in a two piece case that hangs from their belt. Place the solar cells one the outside portion of the case. The next issue is how to protect the cells. 

P.S.- My going rate is 10% of the profit :)

• Like 1

Every time I leave my smartphone in direct sunlight, it gets too hot. Also, I seem to remember in the last year an unfoldable solar panel accessory that you could plug into your phone to recharge. It was pretty dang large and took more than 24 hours to recharge. And then on top of all that, it was expensive.

With the amount of power/large battery sizes the cellphones consume these days, solar charging does not seem practical. Especially when you consider the size of panels really needed to do a full job.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

that solar panel may save your life one day...

Every time I leave my smartphone in direct sunlight, it gets too hot. Also, I seem to remember in the last year an unfoldable solar panel accessory that you could plug into your phone to recharge. It was pretty dang large and took more than 24 hours to recharge. And then on top of all that, it was expensive. With the amount of power/large battery sizes the cellphones consume these days, solar charging does not seem practical. Especially when you consider the size of panels really needed to do a full job. Robert via Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The problem with solar energy is its inefficiency.  Most of that is still only 18-24% light to energy.  We're not talking plants here, which are photo efficient to almost 100%.  There is work being done on organic solar panels with the use of photosynthesis.  Again, it is in a lab and well, not feasible yet.

• Like 1

Now this one I find intriguing. To be able to put it under my display without any detection by me is great. Even if it didn't charge it very much, but at least rapidly reduced the rate of discharge while in use in a lighted area would be a big bonus. This seems practical to me. Extending my battery life by 30% - 50% in a day would be a huge feat.

My former co-worker had a small solar charging pad just a bit bigger than my Note 2.  I've emailed him for the specs/make/model info.  He seemed to like it, saved his butt camping once.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 15 January 2011

Let us know if you come across a WiMax signal. I think you'll get LTE first, though.

With the black bear problems we have had in New Mexico the last 3 years, it's going to take a lot more than a solar charger to save me when camping. I prefer my .38 or 12 ga.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-BP-SC4000-Powered-Capacity-4000mAh/dp/B005ZSVZRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376935552&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+cell+phone+charger

Opteka BP-SC4000 Ultra Thin Solar Powered High Capacity (4000mAh) Backup Battery and Charger for Cell Phones

He says it takes all day to charge the panel, but only an hour to charge his phone fully.  He gets 2x charges for his Viper.  He has actively charged from the panel while the panel is charging.