How about an Airport section?

akaHuddy

This would be a sub-section (or at minimum, thread) strictly dedicated to airports.  Users could contribute the airport code and associated LTE experiences, e.g. whether there was an LTE signal, in what terminal(s), concourse(s), etc.

The thread could eventually be organized with an index where one can jump to the right thread or page by clicking the shortcut for that airport name or code.  This could be Public or an additional incentive for the Sponsor section.

We generally don't care much about one another's market updates on a day-to-day basis, right, but as free airport WiFi is generally crap in my experience, I bet a lot of us are interested in other markets' buildouts just in terms of what to expect from our data experience while passing through -- evaluating and preparing for flight layovers/connections, and the like.  Thoughts?

The thread could eventually be organized with an index where one can jump to the right thread or page by clicking the shortcut for that airport name or code.

I am not sure that this idea will work.  Robert knows absolutely nothing of IATA codes.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

The other thing that would be pretty cool would be to share the various Airport WiFi hotspot passwords. That we we don't congest network traffic. :)

• Like 1

I am not sure that this idea will work.  Robert knows absolutely nothing of IATA codes.

;)

AJ

I can help with that..

Sipping Jack Daniels in Cabo (sjd)

MiCkey mOuse (mco) orlando

Listening to Banjos in NAshville (bna)

Ya just gotta remember smurf for Sacramento (smf)

12 years in the industry I got a million of these lol

• Like 4

I'll start. I'll be in LIT, DAL and AUS the day after tomorrow, but for now...

AUS (as of early July) - LTE available in some areas, but spotty service overall, dropping to roaming on VZW in many areas. At bag claim you're lucky to get service at all.

;)

I can help with that..

Oh, I am just baiting Robert.  He will chime in sooner or later -- during his layover, once he gets off the plane.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

I can help with that..

Not that I think my local airport will be visited by any S4GRU users anytime soon, but KalamaAZOo (where do you think I got my screen name from?) has had LTE for a couple of months.  Of the three towers that will cover it, two have LTE live.  I mapped the LTE coverage with Sensorly two months ago and per Sensorly's bar color it has 3 bars in front of the terminal.  I didn't have to go inside the terminal as I was dropping off and picking up so I can't speak of the inside coverage.

I'll start. I'll be in LIT, DAL and AUS the day after tomorrow, but for now...

AUS (as of early July) - LTE available in some areas, but spotty service overall, dropping to roaming on VZW in many areas. At bag claim you're lucky to get service at all.

im always at the phx airport T4 guess which airline lol (current bid tues-sat in case someone wants to say hi or strangle me) depending on the how many people are in the terminal 3g is ok.. ~450-650 kbps during the middle of a bank sometimes down to 300kbps and at night sometimes well over 1mbps its alot better than just a few months ago when i couldnt get anything over 25kbps and large portion of the time single digit kbps(yes bits not bytes imagine my frustration)

airport has not been upgraded yet...there are several across the river and one or two across the runway that have been upgraded and taking up the slack.  when they get turned on 4g will be hit and miss until they upgrade the airport..  on airport grounds near t4 they have two panels one pointed east one west going down skyharbor blvd  and a couple out at west cargo.  they need major upgrades.  im not suer how they are going to do it, will probably be a GMO hopefully the fact that they havent updated it yet they are going to move the panels to a new location where they will be more hopefully higher and hopefully facing towards the terminals 

Oh, I am just baiting Robert.  He will chime in sooner or later -- during his layover, once he gets off the plane.

AJ

its better than a 6 hour lay over at the cleveland greyhound bus station  :twitch:

just so everyone knows robert cant get lost trying to go to LTE... there is no airport code LTE lol there is a PCS its picos airport in brazil

SMR = Simon Bolivar (SMR) Colombia - http://www.world-airport-codes.com/colombia/simon-bolivar-6649.html

Not finding an AWS....but why would a Sprint user care about that airport?

(Time for me to go to bed....getting a little slap happy.)

• Like 1

SMR = Simon Bolivar (SMR) Colombia - http://www.world-airport-codes.com/colombia/simon-bolivar-6649.html

Not finding an AWS....but why would a Sprint user care about that airport?

(Time for me to go to bed....getting a little slap happy.)

lol we could send AJ to Port oceanic Alaska so he can wander the streets ranting about PRLs while in PRL  lol 

• Like 2

Getting back on-topic, I'm sitting in...

LIT (Little Rock, AR) - 3G is almost unusable at security (sub 200/100) but improves to 1000/400 at the end of the concourse. No LTE...the nearest 4G site is too far away.

Better to use the free WiFi, which was hitting 3M down, 4M up when I tested it. As opposed to about that much on VZW LTE (everyone seems to use Verizon here),

By way of comparison, TMo has weak LTE (2-4M down, 5M up inside the airport. H+ is significantly stronger: 10M down, 3M up was the fastest test I saw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

As opposed to about that much on VZW LTE (everyone seems to use Verizon here),

For a long time, Little Rock had no VZW native service.  Then, if I recall correctly, VZW did construct a modest PCS network.  But around the same time, VZW acquired Alltel, and Little Rock is former Alltel headquarters.  So, everyone uses VZW because they used Alltel and were devoured.

AJ

For a long time, Little Rock had no VZW native service. Then, if I recall correctly, VZW did construct a modest PCS network. But around the same time, VZW acquired Alltel, and Little Rock is former Alltel headquarters. So, everyone uses VZW because they used Alltel and were devoured.

AJ

Yep. And now it's Windstream HQ.

sent via my SIII on Tapatalk 4 beta

DAL - inconsistent is the word. I'm almost under the shadow of a couple LTE sites here (gate 9 on the plane) and can't get decent service. No signal, not overloaded. TMo has low signal in the terminal, but is better a little outside. VZW drops to 3G in the terminal, but has (overcrowded, 4/4M) LTE outside. Everyone needs DASes here...

WiFi is 3M in each direction, low-latency and free for the first 30 minutes. Use it if you can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

As of two weeks ago, BWI (Baltimore) had strong 800 SMR on 22429 (test SID), and decent eHRPD.  The free airport wi-fi ("BWIFI") was fast.  No password, you just had to go to their portal site and pretend you were going to install one of their promoted apps.. and then just click the link at the bottom that says "No thanks".  Sensorly shows light purple blanketing the entire airport property, but I never connected to LTE.

DTW (Detroit) had no SMR, decent eHRPD, some LTE off and on.  Sensorly shows light purple for the entire area.  I did not look for wi-fi, but their website says they are partnered with Boingo.

MHT (Manchester NH) has no 800 SMR yet, decent eHRPD, no LTE.  Free wi-fi throughout the entire terminal ("FlyManchester").  Great airport to travel through!

-Mike

A personal favorite airport code of mine is Fukuoka, Japan.   :ninja:

Tomorrow, I am going to FUK.

Who gives a flying FUK?

AJ

Tomorrow, I am going to FUK.

Who gives a flying FUK?

AJ

ANA and JAL both give a flying FUK.

Robert

ANA and JAL both give a flying FUK.

What happens when someone named Fuchs is going to FUK?

AJ

Or baseball player Kosuke Fukudome? My name usually gets truncated on baggage tags. If he were flying to FUK, his baggage tag would probably read FUK FUK FUKITY FUK.

AJ

Well, that escalated quickly.

AUS - Didn't have much time in the airport this time around; my rotation of signal/speedtests was interrupted pretty quickly by SuperShuttle being ready to pick me up. As a result, I only got to test Verizon, which I'm pretty sure has the best service in the airport. 40 Mbps or better down. Either they have a DAS or they've got a tower very nearby.

The next time I set foot in an airport will probably be late-ish September. I'll have info for AUS, ATL and PBI then, including experiences on a tri-band device (MiFi 500). If I figure out how to lock the thing to a single band I'll give individual reports on all three bands.