Verizon Edge, AT&T Next, Tmobile Jump. What is Sprint going to do to compete?

NYC126

So what's up with the other 3 carriers all announcing these upgrade once a year, or 6 months even. I know sprint has upgrade now but that doesn't apply to everyone. Just trying to get your guys thoughts and opinions about these upgrade programs, also see if sprints going to get something similar.

VZW Edge

T-Mobile jump

At&t next

I remember that.  Then you got a notice in the mail saying sorry were cancelling it

Time for Sprint to update the program and make a quick buck off of the Technologically impatient and math-challenged. I'm only half joking...

• Like 1

Im waiting and wondering if the entire "new" stock of phones will be eligible for these programs, or if the access for early upgrade program customers will be limited to certain devices, a certain time after release, or perhaps even a certain stock. The first thing tmobile's plan made me think of is "theyre going to start re-selling refurb devices in mass....perhaps even pushing refurbs on this program?"

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

sprint used to have their premiere program, which was something similar

Was that the "pay a fee and upgrade early" program?  My sister did that with her old LG Optimus S.  She wasn't due for an upgrade for like a year or something and she paid I think $100 to upgrade early and got an S2. (this was last year)

Was that the "pay a fee and upgrade early" program? My sister did that with her old LG Optimus S. She wasn't due for an upgrade for like a year or something and she paid I think $100 to upgrade early and got an S2. (this was last year)

Iirc, Sprint allowed for the main lone on your plan to get an annual upgrade. This was discontinued around the same time Sprint got the iPhone. Right now you have the option to buy out your contract but in most cases the cost to push the upgrade isn't worth it. (Mine was $100 to push it two weeks, so I held off.)

Was that the "pay a fee and upgrade early" program?  My sister did that with her old LG Optimus S.  She wasn't due for an upgrade for like a year or something and she paid I think $100 to upgrade early and got an S2. (this was last year)

Don't recall the details. I think you had to have a certain minimum plan pricing to qualify. I don't recall their being an option to pay a monthly fee to get yearly phone upgrades though.

Ahhh, ok.  We are talking about two different programs.  We used to have Sprint Premier and you would be either silver or gold and get early upgrades.  Then they came out with the Upgrade Now program which seemed to be pretty short lived.

Ahhh, ok.  We are talking about two different programs.  We used to have Sprint Premier and you would be either silver or gold and get early upgrades.  Then they came out with the Upgrade Now program which seemed to be pretty short lived.

I remember the premier program!  For some reason we never got any upgrades during that time though.  But I remember getting random $5 bill credits.

None of these are really a good deal, since you have to return the device.  Sell your device through Craiglist, and buy whatever you want without the extra fees.

That's not always a good idea. My HTC EVO LTE only goes for $200-230 on craigslist meaning I would still have to pay $400 or so to get a new phone that way. If Sprint had something like Tmobile where I could trade in my evo and get new customer price for my new phone I would save a lot more money

That's not always a good idea. My HTC EVO LTE only goes for $200-230 on craigslist meaning I would still have to pay $400 or so to get a new phone that way. If Sprint had something like Tmobile where I could trade in my evo and get new customer price for my new phone I would save a lot more money

The T-mobile EPP still resets your payments to a new 24 month term, and you have to pay upfront the down payment 100-200$.  Doesn't make sense to keep doing that 4 times in 2 years, technology is getting to the point of diminishing returns.

At least if you sell back your phone, you can buy used or decide if you want to pay retail and not extend your contract. It could be a better deal for those who don't plan on leaving their carrier though.

Just 1 little problem, with TMobile, you are already paying full msrp plus markup on a phone and then paying them more just to upgrade on a device you own and don't get to keep. And then kick in another $175 dollars to boot. On AT&T's plan of you are on contract instead of pay as you go. Not only are you paying for subsidizing your phone on contract. You are also kicking in another 10 to 50 dollars a month to upgrade to another phone. Taking about getting reemed.

I know all of these are just scams and they make it look like a amazing deal but I'm saying it helps in a way with people that have phones that does not hold good value like my EVO LTE. HTC phones are notorious for not holding there value so for me it would be damned if I did do the upgrade plan or damned if I just sold my phone and paid the $400. I don't do used phones or refurbished because I have had way to many problems with them in the past.

After Tmobile announced the "Jump" program last week, Verizon and AT&T have quickly reacted to the Tmobile Jump program by offering its own programs to allow customers to trade in their current smartphone for a new one on an annual basis.  All 3 of these programs involve tacking on an additional monthly fee to take advantage of this service.

Do you guys think Sprint will come out with a program to compete with this?

Verizon Edge

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/15/verizon-vz-edge-phone-upgrade-program/

ATT Next

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/16/att-next-upgrade-program/

Tmobile Jump

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/10/t-mobile-jump/