Kansas market NID/MSC change (was "MSC Boundary Change")

I am a big debug screen geek and I have noticed here lately that my NID has changed to a new number(308). Typically my home is in the NID 43 area and on my drive to work it changes to 42. In the last week both home and work now fall under the 308 NID. So my question is; does anyone know if something has changed in regards to Sprints MSC layout?

Thank You

I am a big debug screen geek and I have noticed here lately that my NID has changed to a new number(308). Typically my home is in the NID 43 area and on my drive to work it changes to 42. In the last week both home and work now fall under the 308 NID. So my question is; does anyone know if something has changed in regards to Sprints MSC layout?

Thank You

How interesting that this is first noticed in Master AJ-WWAN's home market  ;)

• Like 1

I have not noticed any NID changes in my neck of the woods.  And our site info, as I recall, does not indicate any MSC assignment changes in the Kansas market.

Have you checked to see if NID 308 is on CDMA1X 800?

AJ

Maybe NV is finally combining some of the former affiliate purchases with old corp networks into a single MSC.

That was done years ago in the Kansas market.  The Alamosa NIDs are long gone.

AJ

• Like 1

I still show CDMA PCS and the SID is still 4139. What is interesting is all of the BSID's that I am accustomed to seeing have all changed to a consistent 5 digit primarily starting with 52xxx.

What band class is listed on the debug screen?  Band 1 is 1900 and 10 is 800SMR

The EVO LTE only shows Band# as "CDMA PCS" or "CDMA Cellular". I know its not 800SMR because the SID is still 4139 and it says CDMA PCS. I did some driving around and found that this 308 NID goes from at least Excelsior Springs to 119th and Renner in Olathe. That would typically be NID 42 in Olathe and NID 43 in Excelsior Springs.

BSID and NID will change when the 1x portion of the tower your connecting to gets a network vision upgrade. Are you in an area they are upgrading?

Sent from my EVO LTE

They all changed in Chicago when the 1x and EVDO work was done on a tower. I'm not sure if they are changing in other areas.

Sent from my EVO LTE

Nothing has changed in Lawrence, still NID 43.  But I will be in Leawood and at UMKC today, so I will watch NIDs more closely than I have in several years.

Between Lawrence and KC, the NID 43/41 boundary is De Soto.  Then, in the city, the NID 41/42 boundary is around 75th St.  Other than the NID 43/41 transition along K-10 shifting one site west, those boundaries have remained static for many years, and I started tracking them over 10 years ago.

Also, FYI, NID 41 has been Lenexa-MSC_1.  NID 42 has been Lenexa-MSC_2.  And NID 43 has been Independence-MSC_1.  With potentially greater capacity new Ericsson MSCs and declining voice traffic, perhaps we will see a consolidation down to only one or two MSCs in the Kansas market.

AJ

• Like 2

AJ-

Were you able to see anything different when you were downtown yesterday?

NID 308 seems to have consolidated both NID 41 and NID 42.

Along I-70, the NID 43/42 boundary near Bonner Springs is now the NID 43/308 boundary.  And along K-10, the NID 43/41 boundary near De Soto is also now the NID 43/308 boundary.  So, those boundaries have not changed, but the eastern side NIDs have switched over to NID 308.

Otherwise, downtown, The Plaza, Leawood, and Lenexa -- seemingly, the entire core metro area -- is now on NID 308.  The previous NID 41/42 boundary approximately at 75th St is no longer.

This could be good news for people who live or work near NID boundaries that cause them to miss incoming calls and burn battery life due to incessant registrations between two NIDs.  If Kansas City is any indication, many of those boundaries may be going away.

AJ

• Like 2

They all changed in Chicago when the 1x and EVDO work was done on a tower. I'm not sure if they are changing in other areas.

Sent from my EVO LTE

As we all know... Chicago has been a unique case compared to just about everywhere else in the country. Legacy and Network Vision boundaries have caused all sorts of issues that were unexpected.

NID 308 seems to have consolidated both NID 41 and NID 42.

Along I-70, the NID 43/42 boundary near Bonner Springs is now the NID 43/308 boundary.  And along K-10, the NID 43/41 boundary near De Soto is also now the NID 43/308 boundary.  So, those boundaries have not changed, but the eastern side NIDs have switched over to NID 308.

Otherwise, downtown, The Plaza, Leawood, and Lenexa -- seemingly, the entire core metro area -- is now on NID 308.  The previous NID 41/42 boundary approximately at 75th St is no longer.

This could be good news for people who live or work near NID boundaries that cause them to miss incoming calls and burn battery life due to incessant registrations between two NIDs.  If Kansas City is any indication, many of those boundaries may be going away.

AJ

That's good to hear. Thanks for the information.

NID 308 is spreading like wildfire.  Along K-10, the former NID 43/41 transition has leaped an additional two sites west -- from De Soto/Kill Creek past De Soto/Sunflower to Eudora.  So, the NID 43/308 effective boundary is now in the Wakarusa River floodplain just east of Lawrence.  We will have to wait and see if that is where it remains or if Lawrence is also assimilated.

I-70 has experienced a similar shift.  NID 308 has expanded from the Bonner Springs/K-7 site to include at least the Reno site.  I was not looking for any further NID 308 expansion, so I did not notice the change until I was right underneath the Reno site.  Thus, I missed the Lawrence Service Area site.  I will do a bit of drive testing today or tomorrow to clear up that discrepancy.

AJ

• Like 4

Well

NID 308 is spreading like wildfire.  Along K-10, the former NID 43/41 transition has leaped an additional two sites west -- from De Soto/Kill Creek past De Soto/Sunflower to Eudora.  So, the NID 43/308 effective boundary is now in the Wakarusa River floodplain just east of Lawrence.  We will have to wait and see if that is where it remains or if Lawrence is also assimilated.

I-70 has experienced a similar shift.  NID 308 has expanded from the Bonner Springs/K-7 site to include at least the Reno site.  I was not looking for any further NID 308 expansion, so I did not notice the change until I was right underneath the Reno site.  Thus, I missed the Lawrence Service Area site.  I will do a bit of drive testing today or tomorrow to clear up that discrepancy.

AJ

Well here's some more news on this for you, now my site in Gravois Mills, MO right on the lake is NID 308 from 41 and this is one of the few fully installed sites here in the ozarks. going to see what the rest have on my drive to work.

• Like 1

I just returned from my drive testing. Both Lawrence Service Area and Tonganoxie sites are still NID 43.

AJ

• Like 1

Well

Well here's some more news on this for you, now my site in Gravois Mills, MO right on the lake is NID 308 from 41 and this is one of the few fully installed sites here in the ozarks. going to see what the rest have on my drive to work.

The family and I went to the Shatto dairy farm tour yesterday in Osborn Mo and I noticed Osborn and Cameron Mo had NID 308 as well.

• Like 1

The family and I went to the Shatto dairy farm tour yesterday in Osborn Mo and I noticed Osborn and Cameron Mo had NID 308 as well.

Now, that is one honestly named dairy farm.  The cows were milked.  They ate.  And, of course, they shat.

:P

AJ

• Like 1

And, overnight, Lawrence has been absorbed into NID 308, too.  We are now one with the Borg.

AJ

• Like 2

And, overnight, Lawrence has been absorbed into NID 308, too. We are now one with the Borg.

AJ

I wonder if they are going to do this all over the country in the end.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

I wonder if they are going to do this all over the country in the end.

Indeed, Josh, that is the widespread relevance of this thread.

AJ