Network Vision/LTE - Upper Central Valley Market (Sacramento, Stockton, Redding, Eureka & Reno/Lake Tahoe)

iwalkthrowwalls

fCmeSnD.png

This one. Note the Samsung RRUs.

Ya that's what I thought. Well my brothers house should have LTE very soon. He lives right behind the softball fields.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Yep. Hopefully it'll show up on the acceptance reports soon and be integrated. Plenty of sites in the market appears to be finished and are just waiting inspection and integration in order to go live. 

• Like 1

Ya that's what I thought. Well my brothers house should have LTE very soon. He likes Les right behind the softball fields.

finally... Sprint needed upgrades in the area bad... My phone is basically useless in Lucilles

Thought this was kind of funny xD. Albeit I'm kinda excited this time around. Near night the service dies but at the day time it feels as if it can be pretty decent around my house in Eastern Davis. Hope it's worth the (super long) wait! :)

Thought this was kind of funny xD. Albeit I'm kinda excited this time around. Near night the service dies but at the day time it feels as if it can be pretty decent around my house in Eastern Davis. Hope it's worth the (super long) wait! :)

I wish I had dial up sometimes. Lol.

Any news on towers being built in Stockton?

Went to race Go-Karts yesterday morning in Livermore, I ran a speedtest and got results of 28.71 mbps and 6.25 mpbs. But I peaked at 32 during the speedtest. It was so easy uploading about 3 long videos on FB with 10 pics, and another couple of videos to instagram and Vine. Normally I'd have to wait until I'm home to upload really large files.  Ran another speed test on 680 south and got results of 16.43 mbps and 4.54 mpbs. 

Can't wait until LTE is all over the central valley!

• Like 1

Any news on towers being built in Stockton?

Went to race Go-Karts yesterday morning in Livermore, I ran a speedtest and got results of 28.71 mbps and 6.25 mpbs. But I peaked at 32 during the speedtest. It was so easy uploading about 3 long videos on FB with 10 pics, and another couple of videos to instagram and Vine. Normally I'd have to wait until I'm home to upload really large files.  Ran another speed test on 680 south and got results of 16.43 mbps and 4.54 mpbs. 

Can't wait until LTE is all over the central valley!

There are several Sprint applications for work on the north side of Stockton. Don't know if the permits are just being applied or issued. The stockton building department are not very descriptive...

• Like 1

The anticipation is killing me, I keep hearing end of July, end of august, I just can't wait to map out south Sacramento and stare at shiny new equipment. If I get this job at the fresh market, my eyes will be on a tri-band phone. And with august nearing, I hope sense 5 and JB(not justin beiber)4.2.2 come to meh phone. Oh the excitement..tis killin' me.

The anticipation is killing me, I keep hearing end of July, end of august, I just can't wait to map out south Sacramento and stare at shiny new equipment. If I get this job at the fresh market, my eyes will be on a tri-band phone. And with august nearing, I hope sense 5 and JB(not justin beiber)4.2.2 come to meh phone. Oh the excitement..tis killin' me.

South sacramento is part of unincorporated sacramento county and every cell site in south sac has been applied or issued. Just a matter of time before those start going live. Incorporated City of Sacramento are still weeks away from having LTE. 

Oh and good luck on getting that job! ;)

• Like 1

I was just in the bay area yesterday, around El Cerrito, and my speeds tested at:

49ms ping

21.72Mbps down

8.34 Up

They were a little sporadic as I traveled about the city, but stayed well above 6Mbps the times/locations I tested and had very low pings. I'm not sure if LTE is even finished here but it sure felt like it was. Playing HQ Pandora streams while uploading HD pics to facebook is something I've been aching to do with my cell since I got my S3!

I was just in the bay area yesterday, around El Cerrito, and my speeds tested at:

49ms ping

21.72Mbps down

8.34 Up

They were a little sporadic as I traveled about the city, but stayed well above 6Mbps the times/locations I tested and had very low pings. I'm not sure if LTE is even finished here but it sure felt like it was. Playing HQ Pandora streams while uploading HD pics to facebook is something I've been aching to do with my cell since I got my S3!

Wrong thread that is the Bay area market. Found here http://www.s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2225-Network-Vision/LTE---SF-Bay-Market

South sacramento is part of unincorporated sacramento county every cell site in south has been applied or issued. Just a matter of time before those start going live. Incorporated City of Sacramento are still weeks away from having LTE. 

Oh and good luck on getting that job! ;)

That is some music to my ears. Or .. pleasantries to my eyes. South Sac may be ghetto but it sure does deserve some love. And thanks! 

fCmeSnD.png

This one. Note the Samsung RRUs.  The other looks like T-mobile or metro gear. 

Interesting.  I've stood underneath that tower and got only 3G.  I wonder if my phone was pulling from another tower at the time (I only learned about the turning on airplane mode trick very recently).  It would explain how my neighborhood gets LTE now and why T-Mobile is the only other one that sometimes gets reception into my neighborhood.

Interesting. I've stood underneath that tower and got only 3G. I wonder if my phone was pulling from another tower at the time (I only learned about the turning on airplane mode trick very recently). It would explain how my neighborhood gets LTE now and why T-Mobile is the only other one that sometimes gets reception into my neighborhood.

It isn't active yet so you won't get LTE. They just did the physical work on the tower putting up the RRU panels and everything.

It isn't active yet so you won't get LTE. They just did the physical work on the tower putting up the RRU panels and everything.

Ahh, ok.  That explains it.  I wonder which tower is sending LTE to my neighborhood (NorthWest of the softball fields) then.

Ahh, ok. That explains it. I wonder which tower is sending LTE to my neighborhood (NorthWest of the softball fields) then.

Become a sponsor and you shall see, lol. Its by 65.

There are several Sprint applications for work on the north side of Stockton. Don't know if the permits are just being applied or issued. The stockton building department are not very descriptive...

oh alright thanks. How about the Lathrop/Manteca/Modesto/ and Tracy area?

For several weeks I had LTE over near the Old Spaghetti Factor on Sunrise Ave near I80/Douglas Blvd in Roseville.  Now, this week, nothing.  I've updated my PRL and profile, pulled the battery, left the building and went walking around to see if I could get a signal.   Any idea on what's going on?

Sounds like they are probably doing additional testing. They may have had to turn off the 4G LTE signal on some towers in preparation for surrounding towers that could be going through an upgrade. It will probably come back on eventually. Hopefully when it does come back on we will hear that more towers got activated. They could be getting ready to do a cluster launch for 3G NV on all the recent Roseville NV 4G LTE Accepted towers as well since 3G has not been flipped over to the new network on the towers that have received the new Samsung Equipment already.

A little reading material for you all http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/162029-sprint-turns-on-lte-tdd-allowing-it-to-compete-with-att-and-verizons-coverage-and-performance

Honestly, that article kind of scared me.  I mean, there's a lot of talk about potential in the future, but Sprint has a long history of underperforming on promises.  Then, you've got Verizon exiting CDMA/LTE (how does that work? Is it cuz they're going to pure LTE with VoLTE instead of falling back on CDMA for voice?) meaning Sprint is on a tiny little island in terms of phones.  Should up cost and drop variety.  Meanwhile, T-Mobile looks in excellent position for the future.  They're already set up for urban areas and just need to expand into suburban.  I mean, the article talks about 30Mbps for Sprint, but haven't a bunch of people said that the goal is 8-9Mbps consistently?  That's a huge difference.  I've only seen the 30Mbps for Sprint in a few select spots, and after just a short while, some of those areas dropped down to 2-4.

There was a CNET article (I think out today also) that also made things seem a bit bad for Sprint.

Edited by codex57

Honestly, that article kind of scared me.  I mean, there's a lot of talk about potential in the future, but Sprint has a long history of underperforming on promises.  Then, you've got Verizon exiting CDMA/LTE (how does that work? Is it cuz they're going to pure LTE with VoLTE instead of falling back on CDMA for voice?) meaning Sprint is on a tiny little island in terms of phones.  Should up cost and drop variety.  Meanwhile, T-Mobile looks in excellent position for the future.  They're already set up for urban areas and just need to expand into suburban.  I mean, the article talks about 30Mbps for Sprint, but haven't a bunch of people said that the goal is 8-9Mbps consistently?  That's a huge difference.  I've only seen the 30Mbps for Sprint in a few select spots, and after just a short while, some of those areas dropped down to 2-4.

There was a CNET article (I think out today also) that also made things seem a bit bad for Sprint.

You have several false premises in your post that I'll address...

1. Verizon is not exiting CDMA anytime soon. VoLTE is nowhere near ready for mass deployment as the technology, as deployed, suffers from the problem inherent with LTE in that the effective usable range of the signal is vastly inferior to existing 2G/3G voice implementations. Verizons cell sites are typically spaced for CDMA2000 1x on GSM 850 or 750. Abandoning CDMA 1x and going all out VoLTE effectively reduces their overall voice coverage which is something the FCC will never allow.

2. The buying power of Sprint is now #3 thanks to it's marriage into the Softbank portfolio. It will become the #3 in terms of purchasing power thanks to Softbank and Sprint ordering goods together. In addition, TD-LTE on band 41 (and its subsets) will be the main LTE international roaming band in the future, Softbank already operates a TD-LTE network in Japan. China Mobile and its competitors have massive TD-LTE networks in deployment on a subset of Band 41. This should drive up the demand for TD-LTE capable chipsets where it will be much cheaper than ever before for Sprint to purchase devices.

3. T-mobile suffers the same thing that Sprint sufers in the suburban / exurban areas. Lack of backhaul. ATT is the local ilec in the Sacramento region and is in no rush to provide fiber or microwave backhaul to T-mobile or Sprint especially in rural areas. Furthermore, T-mobile will not touch non HSPA+ areas until at least the end of their deployment of AWS LTE over their existing foot print which will take them to at least 2014/2015 time frame. In that space of time, Sprint will have a vastly superior SMR 800 network which can broadcast farther and more effectively compared to AWS. 

4. All carriers advocate for average speeds in the 4-12 mbps range. This is the speeds they expect under a fully loaded network. No carrier can guarantee 30+ mbps speeds ever. Just have to take a look at Verizon to verify that statement. What Sprint has though is the portfolio of Clearwire and it's vast BRS/EBS assets. Where T-mobile, ATT, or Verizon can deploy a single 10mhz or 20mhz carrier, Sprint can effectively do up to 4x 20mhz carriers (after they shut wimax down) each with theoretical maxes of ~90/~25. The game plan for next year is to carrier aggregate said 20mhz carriers into 20mhz+20mhz setups which would be nearly equal to a single 40mhz FDD carrier. 

Yes Verizon is moving to voice over LTE. By the end of next year along with lte-a. But not sure when CDMA will be completely removed for them. Sprint is playing catch up and if wasn't for SoftBank buying them they would have bankrupt or selling there remaining network spectrum.