Clearwire Releases 2012 Annual Report

4GHoward

Well start looking a clearwire sites for new panels??

Most/all panels can be reused. I suspect that is how Clearwire is able to get so many sites live with TD-LTE so quickly and economically.

AJ

Most/all panels can be reused. I suspect that is how Clearwire is able to get so many sites live with TD-LTE so quickly and economically.

AJ

Maybe they need some LTE panels ;) another pet peeve of mine.

Sent from my little Note2

I remember them saying they some sites could change to LTE with a software upgrade.

Sent from my little Note2

Some (all) of the Samsung basestations were dual Wimax/LTE. I don't think the Motorola ones could be repurposed.

Edited by bigsnake49

With zero devices to use them :(

Fussy, fussy, fussy!!! I suppose you want to make phone calls from that device, too . . . :P

Some (all) of the Samsung basestations were dual Wimax/LTE. I don't think the Motorola ones could be repurposed.

This is my understanding as well. The Samsung sites just need LTE carrier cards. The big thing for Clearwire is backhaul upgrades. Most of their sites could not offer anything remotely close to handling 60mbps speeds. This they are working on.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fussy, fussy, fussy!!! I suppose you want to make phone calls from that device, too . . . :P

Can he do "Fosse, Fosse, Fosse!" instead?

AJ

This is my understanding as well. The Samsung sites just need LTE carrier cards. The big thing for Clearwire is backhaul upgrades. Most of their sites could not offer anything remotely close to handling 60mbps speeds. This they are working on.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

You can't tell me they were running on bundled T1 too?.... Would think any/all backhaul upgrades are easily done as I'd expect them all to be fiber/.microwave/AAV...so should be as a phone call to the vendor to up the pipe size no?...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Would think any/all backhaul upgrades are easily done as I'd expect them all to be fiber/.microwave/AAV...so should be as a phone call to the vendor to up the pipe size no?...

My experience with Clearwire sites is that they rely heavily on microwave backhaul.

AJ

My experience with Clearwire sites is that they rely heavily on microwave backhaul.

AJ

I can see that being the case.... In which back then when deployed they might actually need a different vendor if the tech was old enough and would be a bottle neck...no?

I can see that being the case.... In which back then when deployed they might actually need a different vendor if the tech was old enough and would be a bottle neck...no?

I think that DragonWave which is what Clearwire used for microwave backhaul is .8Gbps/1.6Gbps, so the backhaul tech is not the bottleneck. The bottleneck is the bandwidth purchased, not the tech.

The microwave itself is not likely the bottleneck. It's the connection on the other side where the microwave gets terrestrial. That being said, Clearwire has a hodge podge of backhaul with varying performance. Most of their WiMax backhaul as-is is not up to snuff for the LTE performance. But Clearwire has been working on backhaul all year.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

Can someone remind me again who did Clearwire contract out to build out their Wimax base stations. From reading this thread it sounds like Samsung and Motorola did part of them and I thought I remember reading that Ericcson did some as well. I am glad to see that Samsung equipment is able to support WiMax and LTE just by adding new carrier cards. Companies like Samsung are always forward looking which is great unlike Motorola sites which always seem to be causing trouble. I am not surprised that Motorola had been struggling given the headache it gives to Sprint and Clearwire.

Wait, if Clearwire is replacing WiMax base stations with LTE, doesn't that mean WiMax is going to be slowly disappearing? If so, I suppose it just kinda sucks to be a new Galaxy SII owner.

Wait, if Clearwire is replacing WiMax base stations with LTE, doesn't that mean WiMax is going to be slowly disappearing? If so, I suppose it just kinda sucks to be a new Galaxy SII owner.

They are not replacing Wimax with LTE yet. They are deploying LTE in addition to WiMax.

Can someone remind me again who did Clearwire contract out to build out their Wimax base stations. From reading this thread it sounds like Samsung and Motorola did part of them and I thought I remember reading that Ericcson did some as well. I am glad to see that Samsung equipment is able to support WiMax and LTE just by adding new carrier cards. Companies like Samsung are always forward looking which is great unlike Motorola sites which always seem to be causing trouble. I am not surprised that Motorola had been struggling given the headache it gives to Sprint and Clearwire.

Clearwire has been gradually releasing the names of its vendors of choice for its 4G build-out. Along with Motorola and Samsung, Huawei will be Clearwire’s primary RAN vendor and will also provide the base stations and other key infrastructure.

Clearwire had previously tapped Cisco Systems

to build its IP core, Amdocs for billing, mediation and customer management services and

Mformation for its device management platform supplier

. Ciena provides base station switching for Clearwire, and DragonWave and Motorola supply the network’s microwave backhaul transport.

http://connectedplanetonline.com/3g4g/news/clearwire-4g-wimax-huawei-0811/

They are not replacing Wimax with LTE yet. They are deploying LTE in addition to WiMax.

Oh, so using the same panels, keeping WiMax running? I suppose Clearwire just has enough spectrum to do that, huh? Does anyone (*cough* AJ *cough*) have a breakdown of what spectrum

Oh, so using the same panels, keeping WiMax running? I suppose Clearwire just has enough spectrum to do that, huh? Does anyone (*cough* AJ *cough*) have a breakdown of what spectrum

I don't know if they are using the same panels or not. If the channels they use are separated by enough MHz, they could. They could also add another panel in each sector just as long as it is separated by enough distance from the other panel.

I don't know if they are using the same panels or not. If the channels they use are separated by enough MHz, they could. They could also add another panel in each sector just as long as it is separated by enough distance from the other panel.

WiMAX carriers and TD-LTE carriers can be run from the same panels. They may need to be separated in frequency, however, because both are TDD airlinks. Unless their TDD rotations are perfectly synchronized, they do require some frequency separation because one TDD airlink may be transmitting on the downlink while the other is receiving on the uplink (and vice versa). If that were to happen and a WiMAX carrier were adjacent in frequency to a TD-LTE carrier, catastrophic interference would be the likely result.

AJ

• Like 2

WiMAX carriers and TD-LTE carriers can be run from the same panels. They may need to be separated in frequency, however, because both are TDD airlinks. Unless their TDD rotations are perfectly synchronized, they do require some frequency separation because one TDD airlink may be transmitting on the downlink while the other is receiving on the uplink (and vice versa). If that were to happen and a WiMAX carrier were adjacent in frequency to a TD-LTE carrier, catastrophic interference would be the likely result.

AJ

If I recall correctly, clear wire said they could do some things to save spectrum. I'll see if I can find the transcript from Dr Saw.

I think the expected waste from the overlay was rather insignificant.

If I recall correctly, clear wire said they could do some things to save spectrum. I'll see if I can find the transcript from Dr Saw.

I think the expected waste from the overlay was rather insignificant.

They just have to space the spectrum allocations for TDLTE and Wimax far enough apart not to interfere with each other. With some decent frequency planning you can even reuse that spectrum.

Really, that "old saw"?

;)

AJ

• Like 1