Sprint Marketing Updates 4G LTE City List where work is under way and adds 28 more communities including Michigan and Arizona!

Hi there. Anyone have information on Pittsfield MA? It was on the list but service here has only gotten worse over time...

I was on Sprint here 2 years back and it was bad, but at least it was 3G.

Now I'm back on the network and I'm getting horrible speeds - It claims it's 3G but I'm getting anywhere from 1.7 kB/s - 30 kB/s. It also keeps dropping. The last few days it kept saying I was roaming over and over while I was right here in my house. I connected twice to wimax even though we supposedly don't even have wimax here, and the speed was amazing! 600+ kB/s at one point, and typically around 300-400 kB/s.

It's sad that those speeds are exciting...but compared to the average speed I'm getting of about 11 kB/s that's lightning fast. LOL

Please tell me there's hope...

Hi there. Anyone have information on Pittsfield MA? It was on the list but service here has only gotten worse over time...

Now I'm back on the network and I'm getting horrible speeds - It claims it's 3G but I'm getting anywhere from 1.7 kB/s - 30 kB/s. It also keeps dropping. The last few days it kept saying I was roaming over and over while I was right here in my house. I connected twice to wimax even though we supposedly don't even have wimax here, and the speed was amazing! 600+ kB/s at one point, and typically around 300-400 kB/s.

It's sad that those speeds are exciting...but compared to the average speed I'm getting of about 11 kB/s that's lightning fast. LOL

There's hope young S4GRUwalker. There's hope.

• Like 1

Pittsfield's sites were upgraded over 12 months ago with LTE capable equipment. For some reason, either Sprint has not been able to get new high speed backhaul to their sites, or decided Pittsfield is a lower priority.

According to the Sprint update database, all the sites in the Pittsfield/Lanesborough area are supposed to have Band 25 LTE active in less than 90 days. The only exception being the site on top of the hill by the ski area/airport.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Pittsfield's sites were upgraded over 12 months ago with LTE capable equipment. For some reason, either Sprint has not been able to get new high speed backhaul to their sites, or decided Pittsfield is a lower priority. According to the Sprint update database, all the sites in the Pittsfield/Lanesborough area are supposed to have Band 25 LTE active in less than 90 days. The only exception being the site on top of the hill by the ski area/airport. Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

That's very hopeful news...do you think this will have any impact on the 3G speeds I've been getting?

When I've tested the speed in a small town that is just about 5 miles from where I am now I pull speeds over 3G in the 150 kB/s range and that would be wonderful. I think they are getting service from the towers that serve the MassPike (I-90) highway and those are already upgraded to LTE from what I understand.

Also, is there anything you suggest I read to get me up to speed on this technology so I can understand it better. I'm always curious and like to understand things in greater depth.

Thanks!!

That's very hopeful news...do you think this will have any impact on the 3G speeds I've been getting?

When I've tested the speed in a small town that is just about 5 miles from where I am now I pull speeds over 3G in the 150 kB/s range and that would be wonderful. I think they are getting service from the towers that serve the MassPike (I-90) highway and those are already upgraded to LTE from what I understand.

Also, is there anything you suggest I read to get me up to speed on this technology so I can understand it better. I'm always curious and like to understand things in greater depth.

Thanks!!

In most instances, 3G speeds go up when LTE goes live too.  The primary reason why Sprint 3G speeds are so slow is that they are connected to antiquated and overburdened T1's for backhaul.  When new high speed backhaul is brought to a site for LTE, they also will connect the 3G services to that new, much faster backhaul.  If there is another 3G problem, like the airlink is over saturated, then it may not shoot up to normal speeds.  But it will allow them to diagnose that problem and add more capacity.

As for a good suggestion of where to read up, I can't think of any resource than S4GRU.  I'm probably too close to what's going on that I cannot even begin to think of how to wrap my mind from the outside looking in.

Robert

In most instances, 3G speeds go up when LTE goes live too.  The primary reason why Sprint 3G speeds are so slow is that they are connected to antiquated and overburdened T1's for backhaul.  When new high speed backhaul is brought to a site for LTE, they also will connect the 3G services to that new, much faster backhaul.  If there is another 3G problem, like the airlink is over saturated, then it may not shoot up to normal speeds.  But it will allow them to diagnose that problem and add more capacity.

As for a good suggestion of where to read up, I can't think of any resource than S4GRU.  I'm probably too close to what's going on that I cannot even begin to think of how to wrap my mind from the outside looking in.

Robert

Thanks so much for the explaination! That makes a lot of sense, and although I didn't understand exactly how it worked that was my guess...that the towers were somehow overburdened. I'd bet that's exactly the case.

I have a general idea of what a backhaul is let me see if I've got this right - backhaul connects to the wired infrastructure. Does that mean that Sprint (and other carriers) has a wired network that they use somehow to help with routing of calls? They connect that to the internet. Right? So if they are connecting via a T1 connection...well that's not very fast at all even for home use, so it would be especially burdened with a large volume of traffic caused by multiple calls/data transmitting?

I don't quite understand what the "airlink" is however...I'll try to look it up, but if you could just give me a high level overview?

Thanks so much for the explaination! That makes a lot of sense, and although I didn't understand exactly how it worked that was my guess...that the towers were somehow overburdened. I'd bet that's exactly the case.

I have a general idea of what a backhaul is let me see if I've got this right - backhaul connects to the wired infrastructure. Does that mean that Sprint (and other carriers) has a wired network that they use somehow to help with routing of calls? They connect that to the internet. Right? So if they are connecting via a T1 connection...well that's not very fast at all even for home use, so it would be especially burdened with a large volume of traffic caused by multiple calls/data transmitting?

I don't quite understand what the "airlink" is however...I'll try to look it up, but if you could just give me a high level overview?

Airlink is the connection between the device and the antennas at the site.  The site and your device uplink/downlink back and forth through a channel.  Once a channel exceeds capacity, performance starts to degrade.  Sprint EVDO carriers (channels) can be added for more capacity.  Up to the point where Sprint has used up all the available PCS spectrum they have licensed in that market.

However, if a site has backhaul problems, the airlinks will not likely be saturated because people stop using the site.  The airlinks will likely be well under capacity.  But when the backhaul does get upgraded and the 3G EVDO is connected to it, usage may go up to the point that capacity will need to be added to.  So they will have to monitor the situation after backhaul.

Robert

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone, when i was in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, the largest City in Berkshire County in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts for lunch at the Pizza House Restaurant on Tyler Street on September, 20, 2013 I was getting Extremely Slow 3G EV-DO Rev. A Data Speeds of about 79Kbps Download Speed/ 645Kbps Upload Speed and a high latency of around 750 Milleseconds. I could barely even Load google.com on my Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE.

- Jack Dunk

• Like 1

Hey Everyone, when i was in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, the largest City in Berkshire County in the Berkshires of Western Massachusetts for lunch at the Pizza House Restaurant on Tyler Street on September, 20, 2013 I was getting Extremely Slow 3G EV-DO Rev. A Data Speeds of about 79Kbps Download Speed/ 645Kbps Upload Speed and a high latency of around 750 Milleseconds. I could barely even Load google.com on my Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE.

- Jack Dunk

Thanks for pulling up a year old thread. You should post this in the respective Market thread. Not here.

Thanks for pulling up a year old thread. You should post this in the respective Market thread. Not here.

Hes kinda just running around spamming. Not sure he is aware of the structure of the forums. Also looking for free sponsor map access as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk