Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

3 are currently live. All will be upgraded though. This is just what is complete now.

So If I become a sponsor, would I be able to see which towers are currently active?  And how long does it usually take to be able to view the sponsor privelages?

So If I become a sponsor, would I be able to see which towers are currently active?  And how long does it usually take to be able to view the sponsor privelages?

Yes, you will get to see a map that shows all (nationwide) Sprint towers that have received various NV upgrades. In addition you will be able to see maps of all the different markets and all Sprint towers in those market as of the start of the NV project.

As soon as Robert process your donation he will give you Sponsor privelages, that may be within a couple of hours to a day or two. He is in the process of moving and is fairly busy because of it, I would prepare for a couple of day wait.

DSC04284.JPG

DSC04286.JPG

DSC04288.jpg

DSC04289.jpg

DSC04290.jpg

These pictures are from the tower on the campus of Lancaster Bible College just of Rt. 222.  

As you can see the radios and RRUs have been installed but are awaiting final connection the the cabinets.  

I didn't take picture of it but the ground leading up to the tower had been recently dug up for what I'm assuming is the new fiber run as there was a new buried cable box near the site labeled as "Sprint".

Other then the 2 towers that are currently on, are there any plans for others in the Lancaster area?  I am seeing that Western Lancaster is getting mapped pretty decent.

No worries whenever it starts to go live, this will be the first place to know about it. My girlfriend recently moved from Oregon Pike & 30 area to the Old Philadelphia Pike area so I'll keep an eye out over on the East side.

I took a bike ride around Lancaster yesterday and rerouted a few times based on Sprint's tower locations.  Noticed the tower off of Geist Road (behind The Worship Center in Leola, PA) had new radios and RRUs installed.  It wasn't broadcasting, but like the tower off rt 222 behind the Lancaster Bible College, everything appeared to be installed but the cabling was not connected to the cabinets.

Lot's of progress in Lancaster as of recently.  Wish I could map it on Sensorly.

I had a decent 4g connection at Penn Cinemas earlier tonight. This is the northern most spot I have seen it in Lancaster.

Wow really? Did you map it on Sensorly? I was at Penn Cinema on Saturday night to see Gravity but I couldn't check my phone for 4G (the lady hates when I even look at my phone while driving  :( )

• Like 1

Wow really? Did you map it on Sensorly? I was at Penn Cinema on Saturday night to see Gravity but I couldn't check my phone for 4G (the lady hates when I even look at my phone while driving  :( )

LOL...we seem to have a lot of common interests.  I too was seeing Gravity (915pm showing).  I was waiting outside for friends and noticed it.  When I launched Sensorly, my wife reminded me that our friends were here and could not map it.

• Like 1

I'm positive of it, had to troubleshoot one of them yesterday. DO isn't available just yet, still waiting on additional backhaul, but it should be here shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Well, I am at my folks place in Fairview and still no EVDO.  'Shortly' must be taking longer than expected.  Erie County needs some Sprint love bad.

• Like 1

Well, I am at my folks place in Fairview and still no EVDO. 'Shortly' must be taking longer than expected. Erie County needs some Sprint love bad.

Many of the sites in Erie county are slated to be on fiber or MW by the 2nd week of January. I've been running into the utility contractors trenching the fiber to the sites and the tower crews installing the MW dishes.

There's a site on 98 and canal road that just had fiber pulled to it and the site by 98 and 20 already has fiber, and it's on the schedule to migrate to it at the end of this month.

• Like 2

So I have been watching my phone a little closer like a good phone geek should.  It does keep 'trying' to make an EVDO connection so I must be on the fringe of an enabled site.  I am nearest the 98/canal site so its not that one.  Perhaps the 98/20 site is already broadcasting?  I'll be able to check when I make it into Fairview later today.

Sprint store in State College went bust because almost nobody here uses Sprint. I have not seen a single person on campus that has Sprint. AT&T and Verizon dominate the campus, I see few people with T-Mobile, Sprint is like 0. Probably because the HUB, Osmond, The Library(important parts of campus) are basically dead zones. You don't get any bars.

Just waitin' for LTE.....

Edited by NoRegrets

Emailed Sprint headquarters and was told State College still see 4g and perhaps some 800 mhz service in about 6 months. Anyone have any news of sites or towers in development?

It wouldn't suprise me if that area is a priority for converting GMO sites to full builds. Its got to be frustrating if you are traveling up there as the boundary with Shentel (and its great 800 & 4G deployment) is only a short distance away. 

Emailed Sprint headquarters and was told State College still see 4g and perhaps some 800 mhz service in about 6 months. Anyone have any news of sites or towers in development?

Sprint's 3G here is decent, as I said before. Generally speaking, I can pull 1 mpbs at peak times. 4G would come in handy during the football games. The 800 MHz service would drastically improve coverage around campus and in building downtown. 

LTE should be underway here, I also doubt that backhaul will be an issue for Sprint in the State College area. I am sure Penn State will give out their fiber backhaul at the site on campus. The other sites are on apartment complexes which have advanced backhaul readily available regardless. 

Sprint has the following towers in the State College area (These are from personal experience where signal is the strongest, the panels are visible, and Signal Check Pro displays the locations): 

1: The Meridian Apartment complex

2: Near East Halls close to the stadium and Agricultural areas (this is the primary tower for the four carriers for the stadium, it is heavily upgraded and pulls peak speeds at all times except during football weekends). This tower is visible from Park Ave if you look North. 

3: Somewhere near W College Ave and Burrowes. 

While there are other sites in the area, I only know of them from the Sponsor's section, and cannot post them here. 

Does anyone know if that huge pole tower next to the WalMart out North Atherton in State College has Sprint on it?  I noted yesterday there were cranes pulled up to the tower and they were installing or upgrading something.  Since AT&T and Verizon already have their LTE up and running I was hoping this means Sprint is working on that pole?