Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

When will LTE come to Scranton pa ?

I was just up there on Sunday. I had it all around the SteamTown Mall, just not in the mall. Also along the Scranton Express way. It was slow but it worked. Also Avoca has some fast LTE and so does Pittston.  Check out www.sensorly.com and under coverage map select Sprint 4g and anywhere that purple shows up, 4G LTE has been turned on, our area is mostly in testing so it might be on and might be off. One thing for sure is they are giving this area a well needed make over. Hope this helps.

Hey,

New to the forum and a recent Sprint convert (from the evil clutches of Verizon).  I switched to take advantage of the CDMA connections and future LTE speeds - and I just got a Nexus 5: 32GB Black.

I am using a Moto X for the time being and I am slowly noticing some more 4G signal closer to where I work near Lancaster City.  I am passively using Sensorly in my car and pray that the 4G signal starts creeping towards Upper Manheim Township area.

I can't wait for 4G in my home area!

• Like 2

Hey,

New to the forum and a recent Sprint convert (from the evil clutches of Verizon).  I switched to take advantage of the CDMA connections and future LTE speeds - and I just got a Nexus 5: 32GB Black.

I am using a Moto X for the time being and I am slowly noticing some more 4G signal closer to where I work near Lancaster City.  I am passively using Sensorly in my car and pray that the 4G signal starts creeping towards Upper Manheim Township area.

I can't wait for 4G in my home area!

Nice phone (I have the 32GB Black as well). I am not sure exactly where in Lancaster you are, but there are 5 or 6 sites in the area that are live with 4G.

The tower near Penn Cinema is currently broadcasting LTE along with the one off Geist Road behind the Worship Center off New Holland Pike is also live.  I noticed them when I was out on a bike ride today.  Those areas are not mapped on Sensorly if you feel so inclined.

I just mapped a couple speed tests. Both from the sample place/location in building. One was 3g and the other was 4g. I know it takes a bit for a phone to update its radios when switching from signal to signal but jeeze. It took like 5 mins...

• 2 weeks later...

Are the areas around Jim Thorpe over to Pottsville in this market? Seems anything above the mountain doesn't even have 3g. It's pretty ridiculous, but if LTE isn't coming, is at least something faster than 1xRTT? I spend a lot of time in Jim Thorpe, albrightsville, lehighton, nesquehoning, hometown, tamaqua, St Clair, pottsville, shamokin, and no 3g anywhere... Just curious and hoping that maybe sometime soon Sprint will get this whole part of the state improved. Thanks

Are the areas around Jim Thorpe over to Pottsville in this market? Seems anything above the mountain doesn't even have 3g. It's pretty ridiculous, but if LTE isn't coming, is at least something faster than 1xRTT? I spend a lot of time in Jim Thorpe, albrightsville, lehighton, nesquehoning, hometown, tamaqua, St Clair, pottsville, shamokin, and no 3g anywhere... Just curious and hoping that maybe sometime soon Sprint will get this whole part of the state improved. Thanks

They will all be getting 3G, and LTE.  That's what Network Vision is all about.

Those areas never even got 3G, so there's a lot more to be done.  It's funny how you cross the mountain into the Lehigh Valley and there is 3G aplenty and LTE increasing every day now!

Speed improvements according to Sprint's NV site can be a variety of items that may not be readily apparent when deployed to the end user.  The best place to track NV roll-outs would be in the sponsors map section on this site as it will indicate which towers have had NV deployed and in what stage (3G upgrades, 4G upgrades, 800 voice upgrade, etc.).  I wish I could provide you more information but that is one of the perks of becoming a member.  

All I can tell you is it varies and could be a week or two all the way to a few months.

• Like 1

Is there a "usual" timeframe for when infrastructure is placed and network results are seen? Network Vision website says North of Lancaster, PA area is getting speed improvements, but this area has not changed.

I live in East Petersburg which is approx 3-4 miles north of Lancaster. I have LTE in my living room currently. 2-3 bars at best. I mapped on Sensorly north on fruitville pike, West on Petersburg road and around that area. This was not the case yesterday so im assuming that they turned on the tower by State Road in Landisville today sometime. My Sprint account executive showed me very tower in the Lancaster County area and all are due to flipped on in the next 6 months. As far as 800 mhz goes, the dates said TBD.

Edited by stinkntoad1922

I live in East Petersburg which is approx 3-4 miles north of Lancaster. I have LTE in my living room currently. 2-3 bars at best. I mapped on Sensorly north on fruitville pike, West on Petersburg road and around that area. This was not the case yesterday so im assuming that they turned on the tower by State Road in Landisville today sometime. My Sprint account executive showed me very tower in the Lancaster County area and all are due to flipped on in the next 6 months. As far as 800 mhz goes, the dates said TBD.

Sounds about right after seeing most of the towers during various bike rides around the county.  A lot have the hardware installed and new fiber runs put in, but as you noted it is just a matter of bringing them online at once.  There is a good bit of mapping that can still be done on Sensorly about by the airport, east towards Ephrata and then circling back towards Lancaster on New Holland pike.

They have been testing a tower in Mt. Joy that just popped up yesterday on my phone. 

Thanks for the info.

Yeah. I just noticed I had LTE. I had my phone set to WiFi when I am at or near the signal so I didn't catch it until this morning.

I tried to map at the movie theater the other day. I could get a good LTE signal for some reason.

Now I need LTE along 741 and I will be as Phil Robertson would say, "happy, happy."

• 2 weeks later...

This thread's been somewhat quiet for a while now.  I am very curious if anyone has heard any news or has any type of update at all concerning State College, PA.  It was last January when we were told that updates with new Ground Mount Antennas was in the works and here we are almost a year later with no LTE and no real indoor signal improvement of any kind at all.  I can quote many places in town (both inside and outside) where I have little to no signal at all.  I'm looking to be patient for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow but it would still be nice if there were some kind of news to speak of.  Its especially frustrating to drive 10 mins outside of State College in almost any direction and have LTE when the town itself does not.  What's the latest?

Just wanted to give everyone an update on some findings I had this weekend.

1. Wilkes Barre near Target, Best Buy and Lowes inside I had 1x800 but no EHRPD when connected to the 1x800. Also majorly improved EHRPD speeds.

Kmart area on the other hand has only been 1xrtt and no EHRPD.

2. Mountain Top, The top of the mountain near the Woodlawn Ave (437) and 309 intersections. The tower looks as if they painted black or put a whole new tower up. Not really sure as I have not been in that area for awhile. The tower might even look taller by quite a bit.

3. The other end of Mountain Top going into Drums. EHRPD finally no more 1xrtt and it is fast 1.5-2 mpbs. Also in this area along 309 towards Hazleton and in Hazleton just past Sheetz 1x800.

My question on all of this is, For EHRPD in areas that were only 1xrtt sites, would they have ran the backhaul for LTE or a temporary backhaul just to get better data service for the customers in these areas?

I believe that backhaul has been a major hold up in this market and hoping that this is a steady deployment of backhaul.

• Like 1

Just wanted to give everyone an update on some findings I had this weekend.

1. Wilkes Barre near Target, Best Buy and Lowes inside I had 1x800 but no EHRPD when connected to the 1x800. Also majorly improved EHRPD speeds.

Kmart area on the other hand has only been 1xrtt and no EHRPD.

2. Mountain Top, The top of the mountain near the Woodlawn Ave (437) and 309 intersections. The tower looks as if they painted black or put a whole new tower up. Not really sure as I have not been in that area for awhile. The tower might even look taller by quite a bit.

3. The other end of Mountain Top going into Drums. EHRPD finally no more 1xrtt and it is fast 1.5-2 mpbs. Also in this area along 309 towards Hazleton and in Hazleton just past Sheetz 1x800.

My question on all of this is, For EHRPD in areas that were only 1xrtt sites, would they have ran the backhaul for LTE or a temporary backhaul just to get better data service for the customers in these areas?

I believe that backhaul has been a major hold up in this market and hoping that this is a steady deployment of backhaul.

When the new NV equipment is set up, the T1's for data and voice are combined together.  So, it could be that that's what's happening, and not yet on the new backhaul.

I can't believe NEPA was so far behind that they didn't even have EVDO before now!

When the new NV equipment is set up, the T1's for data and voice are combined together.  So, it could be that that's what's happening, and not yet on the new backhaul.

I can't believe NEPA was so far behind that they didn't even have EVDO before now!

WIth 1xrtt sites are there T1 connections for voice and data. Even if so, would it be fast enough to give decent EHRPD speeds. It is a high traffic area and speed were awesome.

This thread's been somewhat quiet for a while now. I am very curious if anyone has heard any news or has any type of update at all concerning State College, PA. It was last January when we were told that updates with new Ground Mount Antennas was in the works and here we are almost a year later with no LTE and no real indoor signal improvement of any kind at all. I can quote many places in town (both inside and outside) where I have little to no signal at all. I'm looking to be patient for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow but it would still be nice if there were some kind of news to speak of. Its especially frustrating to drive 10 mins outside of State College in almost any direction and have LTE when the town itself does not. What's the latest?

Since State College is a GMO area, it will likely be one of the last places for LTE in all of the Sprint network. I don't expect for Sprint to even begin converting GMO's on any large scale until Mid 2014.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Hey everyone, I think Sprint flick a switch for the Mountain Top and Drums area south towards Lehighton. After a long phone call to Sprint on Monday with unusable service. I found EHRPD and 1x800 service around where I traveled on my way to work today (This has been 1xrtt for a long time). Along 476 from the Pocono exit all the way down to the Lehigh tunnel also has been turned on. I did map on sensorly, just has not updated yet. I will try to map this weekend everywhere I go.

• Like 3

Hey everyone, I think Sprint flick a switch for the Mountain Top and Drums area south towards Lehighton. After a long phone call to Sprint on Monday with unusable service. I found EHRPD and 1x800 service around where I traveled on my way to work today (This has been 1xrtt for a long time). Along 476 from the Pocono exit all the way down to the Lehigh tunnel also has been turned on. I did map on sensorly, just has not updated yet. I will try to map this weekend everywhere I go.

Thanks for the update!

• 4 weeks later...