Network Vision/LTE - Western & Central Pennsylvania Markets (Lancaster, Scranton, Erie, State College, Williamsport)

jeremyandrew

I just looked at sensorly.com. According to the map there should be weak LTE coverage at that intersection. I see on network.sprint.com and a tower close to there has 2 data speed upgrades and another that is closer has 1. Usually when I see 2 data speed upgraded in our area this is the same area I get LTE. This might be why there is weak LTE the tower is probably around a mile or two away but there are old tall concrete buildings. Also have you confirmed that LTE is enabled on your phone. My 2 recent phone purchases it was disabled?

The tower with 1 upgrade is the one taking over my phone and I checked sensorly also-that light purple is 3g-at least here it is-I've been trying to learn this stuff-it's really sad-thank you for your help-I appreciate it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry-yes 4g is enabled on my phone

No problem. I know that they have been working in the Scranton area quite a bit recently. Hopefully soon you will see LTE every up there.

Is there another way to sponsor besides PayPal-don't use it-in the time being does anyone know the status of csfb upgrades in Scranton-still going around on the s4T upgrade-been hearing about lots of problems for lg g2-thanks

I hate to keep asking the same questions but I was wondering what the latest is on the State College, PA market?  I know many here have said that LTE is quite a way off but a few weeks ago I got a text from Sprint saying that they are in the final phases of upgrades in my area which should result in substantial improvements within the next month (assuming they meant end of February).  They link they attached took me to a page which goes on about the benefits of LTE so I took that as meaning LTE is coming.  I've also had local linesmen tell me that they've done upgrades and enhancements for Sprint on a few local towers.  Just what is this upgrade I was told about and does it mean LTE sooner rather than later?  Anyone have any news at all?

I'm travelling for work in Western PA as I often do and I'm glad to say that EVDO along the I80 corridor is alive and well. Very snappy too! I have't been out this way since ~November. JeremyAndrew, if you don't mind me asking, what are they using for backhaul in these parts given how remote it is? Bonded T1s? Either way, my phone is finally usable for data in these areas!

I'm travelling for work in Western PA as I often do and I'm glad to say that EVDO along the I80 corridor is alive and well. Very snappy too! I have't been out this way since ~November. JeremyAndrew, if you don't mind me asking, what are they using for backhaul in these parts given how remote it is? Bonded T1s? Either way, my phone is finally usable for data in these areas!

I believe for now all they did is connect the current bonded T1's that are there for voice to the future 4g LTE equitment so data and voice run off the same connection. No new data has been installed at the site yet.

I am not 100% so someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

I believe for now all they did is connect the current bonded T1's that are there for voice to the future 4g LTE equitment so data and voice run off the same connection. No new data has been installed at the site yet.

I am not 100% so someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

I did notice Robert mention that the new cabinets can split the T1's for voice / data when it's not all required for voice traffic. Either way, it's a welcome addition!

Also, if that is true, I'm curious as to why there is still a small blip along I80 in/around Bloomsburg where there is still no EVDO. It appears all of those sites have new cabinets.

I just pulled up sensorly and don't see the area you are talking about. I have not been through there recently so I can't say for sure but it looks covered.

I just pulled up sensorly and don't see the area you are talking about. I have not been through there recently so I can't say for sure but it looks covered.

I'm only going by Sprint's coverage maps. They were updated for the other areas along I80 that were upgraded.

I'm only going by Sprint's coverage maps. They were updated for the other areas along I80 that were upgraded.

I don't think they got to this side of PA, the map is not to accurate. Coverage is a lot better then Sprint says it is.

Do any of you knowledgeable folks have any feedback about the pics I posted a few back? As always, thank you in advance

What about it? It's a samsung high capacity site.

Sent from my Nexus 5

It's only 3g-does it look ready for lte-tower wise?

The antenna/RRU/base stations are capable of transmitting LTE, yes. Backhaul may not be available to the site yet which is why it is 3G only.

• 2 weeks later...

nice!! Now when I go to see my friend in Oil City, PA theres 800 Voice, I was shocked to see that today in the map updates because I saw that was just a GMO no 800, change of plans must be, unless that no 800 means no LTE, lol....  I remember back when I visited him in June last year it was 1XRTT, he has VM and he was so happy to see an improvement to data! 

Been hoping my main tower would get 4g soon but recently maps show 3g complete-before this I would have 1x800 voice, now I'm on 1xrtt constantly-does this sound correct?

You may have had 800 voice recently and just traveled out of your local area where you lost 800 voice.  When this happens, you fall back on the 1900 1xrtt.   Your phone will stay on the 1xrtt even if you go into the area with 800 voice.  You will not transfer back to 800 voice until you get in a situation where you actually need it.

When they do the 3G upgrades, the 1900 1xrtt gets a significant boost. This means it it much better than in the past and quite often, you do not need the 800 voice.  But the 800 voice is there if you or anybody else really needs it. 

if you walk into a basement or other "difficult" place, you might see your phone struggle with the 1900 and then you will suddenly connect to the 800 voice.  If this happens, you will probably retain this 800 voice connection for awhile but sooner or later, you may go back to 1900 as they try to keep the 800 voice available for those that actually need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sprint announced scr/w-b today-I can't tell-still spotty all over

Launches occur at 40% POP coverage.  Which it has now.  Deployment continues.

Robert