About Clearwire LTE equipment

I heard from somewhere that T-Mobiles towers just require a software upgrade for lte.. I also heard those launch rumors for CES as well.

I don't believe it's just a simple software upgrade. I was under the impression that the equipment T-mobile uses is compatible with LTE but doesn't mean you don't need to visit it and do some physical work.

Either way, T-mobile still needs to refarm 3g to PCS and kick off people from their 1700/2100 before doing LTE. Funny thing... in my area (sacramento), they've begun refarming PCS to 3g and it's on average faster than ATT HSPA+ by quite a bit but still plenty of holes where edge is still the norm for unlocked phones.

I don't believe it's just a simple software upgrade. I was under the impression that the equipment T-mobile uses is compatible with LTE but doesn't mean you don't need to visit it and do some physical work.

Either way, T-mobile still needs to refarm 3g to PCS and kick off people from their 1700/2100 before doing LTE. Funny thing... in my area (sacramento), they've begun refarming PCS to 3g and it's on average faster than ATT HSPA+ by quite a bit but still plenty of holes where edge is still the norm for unlocked phones.

Yeah in NYC the experience is just about the same. T-Mobile's 1900 HSPA+21 is less loaded, it's running circles around AT&T's HSPA 14.4. But the coverage isn't 100%.

Also, as they're refarming their PCS, they're upgrading cell sites, which are now Rel 10 with RRU. They're not moving users away from DC-HSPA+ on AWS, they're simply deploying to the remaining AWS blocks (for now) until the MetroPCS merger goes through and they start refarming MPCS AWS spectrum. So initially, T-Mobile LTE will be 2x10Mhz with some markets only 2x5Mhz. After the merger in 2014-15 timeframe it's mostly gonna be 2x20Mhz.

Either way' date=' T-mobile still needs to refarm 3g to PCS and kick off people from their 1700/2100 before doing LTE. Funny thing... in my area (sacramento), they've begun refarming PCS to 3g and it's on average faster than ATT HSPA+ by quite a bit but still plenty of holes where edge is still the norm for unlocked phones.[/quote']

They have been refarming 3G in Vegas all summer long, plus according to my research, they have pulled a lot of permits for antenna work this year. They may very well have a chance to pull off a soft launch of LTE at CES this year. We will know for sure by the end of the week.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 1

In CT T-Mobile has been getting permits for the last 6 months to change out equipment for new multi mode antennas for LTE

Yeah whatever they're doing, they're doing it right. They appear to be pretty serious about their deployment.

Not sure what exactly do you mean by this, but T-Mobile is suppose to cover 100+ mil pops by mid year and 200Mil by the end of 2013.

Did you mean Timeline for the first market to launch? If not how could they possibly share the same timeline?

Rumors are that T-Mobile might be soft launching Vegas during CES.

Clearwire is planning to upgrade at least 2,000 WiMAX Sites to TD-LTE by June 2013. I am betting that T-Mobile will have more LTE Sites than Clearwire by June 2013 because they were originally planning to convert at least 5,000 WiMAX Sites.

Clearwire is planning to upgrade at least 2,000 WiMAX Sites to TD-LTE by June 2013. I am betting that T-Mobile will have more LTE Sites than Clearwire by June 2013 because they were originally planning to convert at least 5,000 WiMAX Sites.

The thing that confuses me now is that since Sprint bought out Clearwire. I am not sure if the plans changed for TD-LTE deployment strategy for 2013. I would think that Sprint would ideally want to deploy TD-LTE on any of its 38,000 Network Vision sites they plan to keep plus a X number of sites that Sprint will keep from Clearwire for simplicity. I think deploying TD-LTE on Network Vision sites is best for the long term strategy and be future proof since Sprint can save costs on tower leases, power, waiting for build permits for Clearwire towers, etc.

I don't mind if Sprint delays for the time being and doesn't meet its 2,000 cell sites by June 2013 if it means the TD-LTE deployment planning is for Network Vision sites only. Sprint will have to add all new antennas and RRUs for TD-LTE anyways so most of the WiMAX equipment is useless.

The thing that confuses me now is that since Sprint bought out Clearwire. I am not sure if the plans changed for TD-LTE deployment strategy for 2013. I would think that Sprint would ideally want to deploy TD-LTE on any of its 38,000 Network Vision sites they plan to keep plus a X number of sites that Sprint will keep from Clearwire for simplicity. I think deploying TD-LTE on Network Vision sites is best for the long term strategy and be future proof since Sprint can save costs on tower leases, power, waiting for build permits for Clearwire towers, etc.

I don't mind if Sprint delays for the time being and doesn't meet its 2,000 cell sites by June 2013 if it means the TD-LTE deployment planning is for Network Vision sites only. Sprint will have to add all new antennas and RRUs for TD-LTE anyways so most of the WiMAX equipment is useless.

Remember that Sprint doesn't fully own Clearwire yet. It still needs regulatory approval.

Remember that Sprint doesn't fully own Clearwire yet. It still needs regulatory approval.

As long as the only objections are about money, the deal is in the bag. Leased spectrum isn't truly owned, and therefore really not of value or long term threat to competition. I don't really see this deal failing.

As long as the only objections are about money, the deal is in the bag. Leased spectrum isn't truly owned, and therefore really not of value or long term threat to competition. I don't really see this deal failing.

I also encourage this merger to happen especially for some improve Global LTE Roaming Agreements and Developments.

Its not a big deal waiting either, its not like the extra capacity is needed yet anyway.

Actually there are many towers in multiple markets in need of backhaul and capacity enhancements.

Extra LTE capacity isn't needed yet... that was the meaning of the post I believe.

Extra LTE capacity isn't needed yet... that was the meaning of the post I believe.

This is exactly what I meant. Sorry for not being more clear. The legacy network on the other hand as we all know is a different story.

Clearwire is basically in limbo just like T-Mobile was during the AT&T merger months. They are waiting for the regulatory approval, and not sure if they should be deploying, on what scale, or just simply wait.

Sadly, looking at their track record they'll most likely chill and wait for the approval.

Clearwire is a capacity play for Sprint. I don't see Sprint hurting on LTE capacity on 1900 this year. A fast deployment for 2500 doesn't' seem that important other than to help Clearwire's wholesale financials.

Well remember Clearwire is also considering supporting their own customers and their current and future wholesale partners other than Sprint.

Both. We're talking about LTE here. What LTE network there is doesn't need extra capacity. The legacy networks, for both companies, we all know have (many) places that need work.

Why? There is no point on waiting to upgrade a network when it becomes way too unusable, and I don't believe Clearwire has an agreement to utilize Sprint LTE Network like how Sprint has an agreement to utilize Clearwire WiMAX/LTE Network.

• Like 1

Another point I want to mention and don't want to get to involve on hearing is class action lawsuits. If customers do not see the consistent and seamless service, they would probably start getting frustrated and start threatening class action lawsuits, and the company ends up with this on their sleeve:

http://www.denningssettlement.com/

Enough said on saying to wait on capacity enhancements!

Clearwire doesn't even have any devices out yet to run on their upcoming LTE network. Until devices are imminent, there is no advantage to having a deployed Clearwire LTE network.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 2