About Clearwire LTE equipment

Does anyone know if Clearwire will install new antennas and RRU equipment on its towers for its deployment of TD-LTE? I don't know how robust and future proof Clearwire's current tower infrastructure for its WiMAX network. I expect Clearwire's TD-LTE equipment to be put to heavy use in the future for capacity once Sprint starts kicking 2.5 GHz deployment into high gear. I would be curious to see if Sprint will deploy Clearwire LTE on some of its own Sprint NV towers.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if Clearwire will install new antennas and RRU equipment on its towers for its deployment of TD-LTE? I don't know how robust and future proof Clearwire's current tower infrastructure for its WiMAX network. I expect Clearwire's TD-LTE equipment to be put to heavy use in the future for capacity once Sprint starts kicking 2.5 GHz deployment into high gear. I would be curious to see if Sprint will deploy Clearwire LTE on some of its own Sprint NV towers.

It's my understanding that sites deployed since the beginning of 2010, they do not need to do any work with panels. They are ready to receive LTE upgrades. However, older sites prior to 2010 need to have everything replaced or run an new overlay. They will need to install side by side base stations, radios and panels on older sites, where WiMax and LTE are completely separate. Otherwise, they can replace the old WiMax equipment with new equipment that will run both. As a result, the oldest Clearwire markets would likely be the last upgraded to LTE.

However, I think Clearwire's deployment strategy could completely change now with the Sprint buyout. And may even be on hold. If the deal with Sprint/Softbanks closes without issue, it makes more sense for Sprint to deploy TD-LTE 2600 on Network Vision sites, and not on Clearwire sites at all. Then Sprint can work on mothballing WiMax as soon as feasible and just completely decommissioning all those Clearwire WiMax sites and save a lot of money.

Robert

• Like 4

It's my understanding that sites deployed since the beginning of 2010, they do not need to do any work with panels. They are ready to receive LTE upgrades. However, older sites prior to 2010 need to have everything replaced or run an new overlay. They will need to install side by side base stations, radios and panels on older sites, where WiMax and LTE are completely separate. Otherwise, they can replace the old WiMax equipment with new equipment that will run both. As a result, the oldest Clearwire markets would likely be the last upgraded to LTE.

However, I think Clearwire's deployment strategy could completely change now with the Sprint buyout. And may even be on hold. If the deal with Sprint/Softbanks closes without issue, it makes more sense for Sprint to deploy TD-LTE 2600 on Network Vision sites, and not on Clearwire sites at all. Then Sprint can work on mothballing WiMax as soon as feasible and just completely decommissioning all those Clearwire WiMax sites and save a lot of money.

Robert

Whatever Sprint plans to do with Clearwire LTE, I just really hope that Sprint comes out with LTE devices in 2013 that support 1900 and 2500 MHz LTE. If 800 MHz LTE support were also added to 2013 LTE devices it would be icing on the cake.

If the deal with Sprint/Softbanks closes without issue, it makes more sense for Sprint to deploy TD-LTE 2600 on Network Vision sites, and not on Clearwire sites at all.

Robert

Could that mean that Sprint will greatly increase the coverage of TD-LTE 2600 compared to Clearwire's plans?

Could that mean that Sprint will greatly increase the coverage of TD-LTE 2600 compared to Clearwire's plans?

I'm pretty certain that Sprint's plans for extra capacity is much larger than what the Clearwire network can currently support. But to what extent Sprint will end up deploying LTE 2600 is still unknown.

Robert

I'm pretty certain that Sprint's plans for extra capacity is much larger than what the Clearwire network can currently support. But to what extent Sprint will end up deploying LTE 2600 is still unknown.

Robert

Hopefully we will know when the Sprint/Clearwire deal goes thru.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

I wondered the same thing. A while ago, I looked at downtown Boston (a 2010 deployment city) and noticed that all but one of clearwire's sites were located on top of existing Sprint sites (the one that wasn't was across the street). It makes it seem like integrating the two sites would be simple, given all of the basestation equipment is located at the same spot. Granted, this is an extremely small sample size, but I am guessing in a lot of newer markets, the overlay is pretty significant.

Dan Hesse said this about number of sites:

...we'll have sites, roughly 38,000 as part of Network Vision. Cleariwre has roughly 15,000 sites. So the - when we're - when the two companies come together and when we optimize the network, the number of sites will be somewhere between those two numbers, if you will, and we're going to choose what we believe are the best sites between what Clearwire currently has and the ones that Sprint currently has.

So do not assume that this means that the Clearwire sites are going to be redundant. Some - we're going to figure out what the optimal number of sites are, what's the optimal design for a signal network and a number of the sites that Clearwire is currently using, especially because their frequencies are different than ours, would be maintained. But that is work that we'll - that we will do together over time.

So the billion dollar question is, how many clearwire sites will the keep? And even a bigger question is, why?

• Like 1

I know I should be excited by the Clearwire deployment but can someone tell me why?

Capacity. It will greatly improve Sprint's capacity for the number of customers each tower can accommodate. It would help keep the network from slowing down for a long time.

• Like 1

If the WiMAX Site is currently using Samsung or Huawei Equipment, it will be updated via software and the core network equipment will be provided by Cisco and Ciena.

SingleRAN-LTE-TDD-WiMAX.jpg

Any plan to replace Huawei equipment as well? I know sprint was essentially told by federal gov't not to use Huawei with network vision.

Also, if they are replacing BBU, why not just add LTE control board and card to sprint NV cabinet and reroute fiber cables from tower to NV cabinet?

Use the new backhaul already provided by sprint?

Any plan to replace Huawei equipment as well? I know sprint was essentially told by federal gov't not to use Huawei with network vision.

Also, if they are replacing BBU, why not just add LTE control board and card to sprint NV cabinet and reroute fiber cables from tower to NV cabinet?

There are no plans to replace existing Huawei Equipment, but there are plans to update its existing software to TD-LTE. Deployment has already began in several markets.

• Like 1

Also in some markets, customers may be experiencing faster than usual WiMAX Speed from backhaul enhancements for LTE Upgrade.

• Like 1

There are no plans to replace existing Huawei Equipment, but there are plans to update its existing software to TD-LTE. Deployment has already began in several markets.

I wonder if Clearwire is going to display a coverage map of where the TD-LTE hotspots are going to be. Some color coded map that displays WiMAX and TD-LTE coverage would be a nice addition. Although I don't really expect to see much coverage for only 2,000 sites spread out among 31 markets initially.

I wonder if Clearwire is going to display a coverage map of where the TD-LTE hotspots are going to be. Some color coded map that displays WiMAX and TD-LTE coverage would be a nice addition. Although I don't really expect to see much coverage for only 2,000 sites spread out among 31 markets initially.

I think the whole deployment plan for TD-LTE is up in the air.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Clearwire will probably won't have the LTE Coverage Map until they officially launch LTE for the customers which is still months away from a launch date.

I think the whole deployment plan for TD-LTE is up in the air.

But wouldn't Sprint and Clearwire have to start deploying now in order to meet the 2,000 TD-LTE sites in 31 markets by June 2013? I know this was based on the assumption back then when Sprint and Clearwire were separate. Obviously the Sprint buyout of Clearwire changes things but I am hoping that Sprint is planning to deploy TD-LTE some time this year and have its high end LTE devices (HTC M7, SGS4, LG Optimus G2, SGN3, Moto X) that support Band 41.

Another big question I have is if Sprint does deploy TD-LTE on its Network Vision sites wouldn't Sprint have to modify build permit plans for a ton of towers in the targeted markets to add the TD-LTE antennas and RRUs. I agree that Sprint should try to leverage adding TD-LTE to its own Sprint Network Vision towers as much as it can so it save costs on paying for unnecessary tower leases from Clearwire. This whole Clearwire debacle still has a long way of sorting itself out.

But wouldn't Sprint and Clearwire have to start deploying now in order to meet the 2,000 TD-LTE sites in 31 markets by June 2013? I know this was based on the assumption back then when Sprint and Clearwire were separate. Obviously the Sprint buyout of Clearwire changes things but I am hoping that Sprint is planning to deploy TD-LTE some time this year and have its high end LTE devices (HTC M7, SGS4, LG Optimus G2, SGN3, Moto X) that support Band 41.

Another big question I have is if Sprint does deploy TD-LTE on its Network Vision sites wouldn't Sprint have to modify build permit plans for a ton of towers in the targeted markets to add the TD-LTE antennas and RRUs. I agree that Sprint should try to leverage adding TD-LTE to its own Sprint Network Vision towers as much as it can so it save costs on paying for unnecessary tower leases from Clearwire. This whole Clearwire debacle still has a long way of sorting itself out.

They are getting bought out. They don't have to have it out by June. It would be stupid to spend a lot of money trying to hurry up and deploy on Clearwire's dead end network which will just have to be decommissioned again in a couple.

It makes more sense to scrap that plan and incorporate the TD-LTE on Sprint Network Vision sites. Even if it means a 2-3 month delay on the start. Because deploying on existing NV sites will be cheaper and likely faster and the work done will not be on a dead end network but rather one designed for the next 10-20 years.

Sprint needs to do the smart thing here. Not the fastest one.

• Like 4

Clearwire has already started LTE Deployment in some markets. They are almost on the same LTE Deployment Timeline like T-Mobile except T-Mobile is supposedly doing a more widespread deployment.

Clearwire is trying to use as much existing equipment as possible because it is more efficient and effective for them.

• Like 1

They are getting bought out. They don't have to have it out by June. It would be stupid to spend a lot of money trying to hurry up and deploy on Clearwire's dead end network which will just have to be decommissioned again in a couple.

It makes more sense to scrap that plan and incorporate the TD-LTE on Sprint Network Vision sites. Even if it means a 2-3 month delay on the start. Because deploying on existing NV sites will be cheaper and likely faster and the work done will not be on a dead end network but rather one designed for the next 10-20 years.

Sprint needs to do the smart thing here. Not the fastest one.

Let me also point out that Clearwire employs a team of Independent Regional LTE Consultants after site selection is done by the Engineering Team.

• Like 1

Also regarding clearwire deployment plans;

In my understanding and experience in corporate/network takeovers, all pre-existing plans have to remain in play until the deal is actually completed.

In other words, they can 'make plans', but they can't start with the actual 'implementation'.

Now maybe the fact that there is already a lot of sprint/clear collaboration, past, present and future, plans and implementations may be more fluid, but there is no doubt that until the deal is done, that clear must still be run as an independent entity.

The same also applies between softbank and sprint.

Sprint employees will continue to receive sprint paychecks (and not softbank), and same with clearwire.

Edited by dedub

Clearwire has already started LTE Deployment in some markets. They are almost on the same LTE Deployment Timeline like T-Mobile except T-Mobile is supposedly doing a more widespread deployment.

Not sure what exactly do you mean by this, but T-Mobile is suppose to cover 100+ mil pops by mid year and 200Mil by the end of 2013.

Did you mean Timeline for the first market to launch? If not how could they possibly share the same timeline?

Rumors are that T-Mobile might be soft launching Vegas during CES.