2 months behind, catch up mode or stay the course?

What I woke up wondering about today is what Sprint plans to do about being a little behind schedule. Only a couple months behind on a project this big isn't bad really but there is 3 ways they can handle it going forward

1) We're doing what we can. It could slip more.

2) We're not going to let it slip more and will finish up a couple months behind schedule.

3) We're going to kick it up a notch and make up those 2 months and finish as planed.

Anyone have and ideas on if they will kick it up and make up the 2 months?

What I woke up wondering about today is what Sprint plans to do about being a little behind schedule. Only a couple months behind on a project this big isn't bad really but there is 3 ways they can handle it going forward

1) We're doing what we can. It could slip more.

2) We're not going to let it slip more and will finish up a couple months behind schedule.

3) We're going to kick it up a notch and make up those 2 months and finish as planed.

Anyone have and ideas on if they will kick it up and make up the 2 months?

I can't imagine they'll kick it up any more than they already have. They are already mobilizing in markets all over the country, some ahead schedule. I think delays at this point are due to backhaul issues or contractors/birds/other issues out of their control. I don't think they are like, holding back at 80% of what they could be doing, I think they are already at 100%.

Hint: they're going to announce they are "our LTE network has touched all markets" in the same time frame which they've always planned it. Now whether that's at the percentage originally planned or it requires longer for them to fill in than originally planned....only s4gru.com will know. Sprint is bent on LTE being a marketing darling.

All you can do is stay the course given the funding secured. Now once SoftBank is calling the shots officially? Who knows

Based on a Samsung source, Sprint has started coming down hard on the OEM's the past month or two. He says there have been logistics issues and equipment problems that have caused delays (with all the OEMs, but mostly Ericsson). He says Sprint was very understanding and patient until recently. But now they are starting to point to the contract schedule requirements and threatening to impose penalties. The backhaul is now ahead in most markets.

Sprint standing up is a good and bad thing. It's a good thing from the stand point that it could help motivate the OEM's and get things moving faster. It could backfire though if the OEM's get mad, because basically Sprint is the cause of some of the front end delays of deployment. So the OEM's would fight back and it would become a mired argument that could cause NV to slow down.

Given my role in the industry, the best line to tow as Owner in this situation is to stand firm with your contractors, remind them of the obligations, challenge all excuses and help them resolve their problems as soon as possible. Good and accurate recovery schedules are important to help manage revised short term, mid term and long term goals and milestones. You want to appear firm, competent and paying attention to their details but you cannot be so argumentative to actually create a combative relationship with your Contractors.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 21

Based on a Samsung source, Sprint has started coming down hard on the OEM's the past month or two. He says there have been logistics issues and equipment problems that have caused delays (with all the OEMs, but mostly Ericsson). He says Sprint was very understanding and patient until recently. But now they are starting to point to the contract schedule requirements and threatening to impose penalties. The backhaul is now ahead in most markets.

Sprint standing up is a good and bad thing. It's a good thing from the stand point that it could help motivate the OEM's and get things moving faster. It could backfire though if the OEM's get mad, because basically Sprint is the cause of some of the front end delays of deployment. So the OEM's would fight back and it would become a mired argument that could cause NV to slow down.

Given my role in the industry, the best line to tow as Owner in this situation is to stand firm with your contractors, remind them of the obligations, challenge all excuses and help them resolve their problems as soon as possible. Good and accurate recovery schedules are important to help manage revised short term, mid term and long term goals and milestones. You want to appear firm, competent and paying attention to their details but you cannot be so argumentative to actually create a combative relationship with your Contractors.

Great post.

Do you think some of the logistical issues caused sprint to move up other markets since existing markets are progressing slower than anticipated?

At this point, have most of the hardware shortages been resolved or will this continue to hinder progress?

Glad to hear that backhaul is catching up. I am still waiting for one site right outside my work to turn on LTE (site has been upgraded to NV for over six months).

Great post.

Do you think some of the logistical issues caused sprint to move up other markets since existing markets are progressing slower than anticipated?

This could have been a factor. But the markets that have started early were just opportunities that weren't passed up. In some ways, it may have caused some equipment to be spread even thinner. Especially with Ericsson.

At this point, have most of the hardware shortages been resolved or will this continue to hinder progress?

It's my understanding that they all have been solved. But there will likely still be some hiccups in the supply chain for a little while before things really start to pick up. But things should pick up this month.

Glad to hear that backhaul is catching up. I am still waiting for one site right outside my work to turn on LTE (site has been upgraded to NV for over six months).

There are a lot of In Progress sites out there too. Lots more than we know about.

• Like 2

Imagine doing this project:

Then they came to the US and had to learn things all over again...lazy contractors, delivery drivers not caring and damaging the equipment or losing it altogether, green soccer mom yuppies who hate cell towers but love their iphones protesting the sites, old people still using a land line/bag phone on the zoning boards, local phone companies with monopolies on the local broadband who also own their own wireless division continuously dragging their feet, crazy freaks wearing aluminum foil hats leaving crazy rocks at the base of the towers to "soak" up the poisonous cell signal, permitting that requires you to define how many grains of sand are used for the concrete foundation, other groups requiring a JSA from the tower climber defining the hazards and how he should safely go across the street to McDonalds to take leak!

At least they have been releasing press releases. In the past they did nothing of the sort.

And the press releases are more informative than what Verizon did. First Verizon said, we are working on these 30+ NFL cities. And then it said, these are the cities that will get LTE in the next year. That was it. Then they would announce each city in a press release after the work was done.

• Like 1

We have several in Baton Rouge that are coming up on almost 100 days delayed with no work going on at the site today.

You're not the only one. Jax, FL was originally scheduled to launch nearly 2 months ago and we've got 5-6 live sites at the moment.

Although I do like Robert's post of this thread. Glad Sprint is stepping in finally. I wish I knew more of the details behind the delays.

I am very glad that Sprint has stood up and started harping down on all the OEMs for being behind schedule. In all of 2012, only 9 markets have been announced and the top 2 population markets in NYC and LA have yet to show anywhere near launch ready

(LA = 28% complete and NYC = 19% complete). This is not good at all. Its going to take another 3 months before I anticipate NYC and LA will be officially announced as launch ready unless Sprint announces only certain NYC and LA counties as Network Vision ready. I just hope bird nests are still not holding up progress for Network Vision.

Sprint has major catching up to do and Sprint needs to launch between 500-600 sites per week to stay on track to be mostly complete by end of 2013 even though they have stated that they are one quarter behind but still remained firm of the "mostly complete by end of 2013" schedule. Who knows how Sprint is going to factor in adding 800 MHz LTE to their deployment plans post June 2013. I hope that cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc that have already launched with LTE have the 800 MHz LTE equipment installed on the tower already and are just a flip switch away from turning on or else there will have to be a lot of rework to do.

I am very glad that Sprint has stood up and started harping down on all the OEMs for being behind schedule. In all of 2012, only 9 markets have been announced and the top 2 population markets in NYC and LA have yet to show anywhere near launch ready

(LA = 28% complete and NYC = 19% complete). This is not good at all. Its going to take another 3 months before I anticipate NYC and LA will be officially announced as launch ready unless Sprint announces only certain NYC and LA counties as Network Vision ready. I just hope bird nests are still not holding up progress for Network Vision.

Sprint has major catching up to do and Sprint needs to launch between 500-600 sites per week to stay on track to be mostly complete by end of 2013 even though they have stated that they are one quarter behind but still remained firm of the "mostly complete by end of 2013" schedule. Who knows how Sprint is going to factor in adding 800 MHz LTE to their deployment plans post June 2013. I hope that cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc that have already launched with LTE have the 800 MHz LTE equipment installed on the tower already and are just a flip switch away from turning on or else there will have to be a lot of rework to do.

I had the understanding that only a network card needed to be added to enable 800LTE

I had the understanding that only a network card needed to be added to enable 800LTE

Same plus I also thought the main obstacle to just deploying 800 with 1900 is the fact they need to boot off all the iDen subscribers first and refarm the freq from iden. That's why they're starting in the summer of 2013 because that's when iDen is officially shut down.

Are they starting LTE 800 in June or CDMA 800 with LTE to come later? I thought they were just doing the 3G and voice first and 800 LTE sometime down the line. I'll go look it up again and edit this if I am wrong.

Looks like I did remember it wrong. They have room for some CDMA 800 now in some markets and the LTE is after the full shut down.

From the FAQ in the General Topics Forum: (I don't think its obvious where its at for new people ...)

When will CDMA over 800 SMR be rolled out?

Once there is sufficient spectrum cleared from iDEN use, CDMA 1xA will be rolled out with the Network Vision upgrades. There already is some CDMA deployment in Chicago, and expected in Dallas/Ft.Worth soon.

What about 800 SMR LTE?

That will be turned on later, with the death of iDEN sometime after June 2013. Field testing will begin late 2012.

Anyone know if the LTE 800 field testing got stated yet?

Edited by DaQue

Anyone know if the LTE 800 field testing got stated yet? [/font][/color]

I haven't heard yet. I assume so. I'd love details.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

Maybe that's why I saw all the people on the ground and on the tower at a site today that already had RRUs done a month and a half ago. ;) yeah.. I can keep dreaming.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

• Like 1

Maybe that's why I saw all the people on the ground and on the tower at a site today that already had RRUs done a month and a half ago. ;) yeah.. I can keep dreaming.

Don't all the NOLA market NV sites have four RRU's? Maybe LTE 800 FIT? ;)

Don't all the NOLA market NV sites have four RRU's? Maybe LTE 800 FIT? ;)

Dumb question time.....

Antenna panels have 6 RF connectors, 3 bands +/- 45 degree phase each.

How do you hook up more than 3 RRUs? they daisy chain or something?

Dumb question time.....

Antenna panels have 6 RF connectors, 3 bands +/- 45 degree phase each.

How do you hook up more than 3 RRUs? they daisy chain or something?

Combines are used. In some pics you can see the smaller box wedged in between two RRUs.

• Like 2