Hesse to Speak at MWC

BenChase7

Didn't the last time Dan Hesse spoke at an event like this we got some phone or Network Vision news? :)

Either way, I think its interesting, Sprint doesn't usually say much at WMC, as its geared more towards GSM. Hopefully we'll hear something we don't already know.

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=BW&date=20120227&id=14832113

• Like 1

Ben, I think that we will hear more than normal. Remember, LTE is based off GSM, and Sprint is going the way of LTE, so it would be appropriate for them to start being more active in MWC. I am looking forward to hear what Hesse has to say. :)

• Like 1

Ben, I think that we will hear more than normal. Remember, LTE is based off GSM...

Josh, not to harp on your statement, but I always take issue with the idea that "LTE is based off GSM" or "LTE is GSM." Rather, LTE is the 3GPP evolutionary path for 4G that GSM/W-CDMA and CDMA1X carriers alike have almost universally embraced. But that does not mean that VZW and Sprint are "converting to GSM," as some have said, nor that LTE is GSM, since LTE is both a new airlink and core network that have almost no connection to the original GSM airlink and core network.

Now, the reason that I take issue with this is because the GSM Association acts a bit like a cult. Anything that it can connect to GSM, it brands as GSM. A la, GSM is everything that is good in wireless, and everything that is good in wireless is GSM.

To me, the insistence of the GSM Association evokes the South Park episode "Starvin' Marvin in Space," in which everything is Marklar:

AJ

• Like 1

Ben, I think that we will hear more than normal. Remember, LTE is based off GSM, and Sprint is going the way of LTE, so it would be appropriate for them to start being more active in MWC. I am looking forward to hear what Hesse has to say. :)

I agree, If Hesse is speaking at MWC he should have some important things to say. Mostly I think to keep Sprints name and LTE in the public view. Good move since none of the other U.S. carriers are making a big presence there. I'll be very curious to what he has to say, especially about the extra $2 Billion he's looking for and the MetroPCS deal. Should give us an idea of what the board thinks about his plans and actions.

Is Sprint a GSMA member already?

GSMA consortium has claimed LTE as their own in an equivalent to a dog marking its territory. :hee:

Posted via Forum Runner

As quoted from Sprintfeed.com:

Earlier today Dan Hesse took the stage in Barcelona for his very first Mobile World Congress keynote. For those of you hoping that he announced a stockpile of high-end LTE smartphones, keep on dreaming! Hesse’s spiel was mainly Network Vision stuff we’ve already heard. However, he did announce that Sprint will be the official wireless partner for Chrysler’s Unconnect service.

What this means to most of us isn't really much of anything. If anyone else finds more info, that would be great.

The article link is: http://www.sprintfee...onnect-program/

Edited by Macinjosh
  • Like 1