Sprint rumored to counter bid for MetroPCS AGAIN!!!

ericdabbs

Looks like Sprint is looking to make a counter-bid for MetroPCS within the next month or so due to the depressed price of MetroPCS since the announced acquisition. If Sprint makes a counter-bid for Metro at $13/share, this would mean that if Tmobile were to pay that price in the joint company, they would have to give up 43 to 47 percent ownership of the new company to MetroPCS shareholders instead of the proposed 26 percent ownership to MetroPCS shareholders like Tmobile is claiming.

If Sprint is able to snatch up MetroPCS, their PCS holdings especially in Florida markets where they are all 20 MHz will be vastly improved as well as a bunch other major cities that only have 20 MHz. I hope this counter-bid for MetroPCS happens.

http://www.bloomberg...or-company.html

http://www.fiercewir...mors/2012-11-30

• Like 5

Wow I hope that happens as well. Would give is plenty of spectrum in the Tampa and Orlando markets. Could possibly giving us a 10x10 LTE channel.

That is what I am hoping for. I still wonder what Sprint would do with the AWS spectrum? I would hope Sprint would keep it for either deploying yet another LTE band in the distant future OR Sprint could keep it until AWS spectrum becomes more valuable and then sell it. I don't see how Sprint could swap with other carriers for more PCS spectrum since every other carrier is PCS spectrum strapped.

That is what I am hoping for. I still wonder what Sprint would do with the AWS spectrum? I would hope Sprint would keep it for either deploying yet another LTE band in the distant future OR Sprint could keep it until AWS spectrum becomes more valuable and then sell it.

I do not see Sprint doing either. And the FCC would likely put the kibosh on the latter.

I don't see how Sprint could swap with other carriers for more PCS spectrum since every other carrier is PCS spectrum strapped.

VZW is PCS 1900 MHz spectrum strapped? No, not really. In its Cellular 850 MHz markets, VZW's need for PCS is diminishing by the day.

AJ

• Like 1

VZW is PCS 1900 MHz spectrum strapped? No, not really. In its Cellular 850 MHz markets, VZW's need for PCS is diminishing by the day.

AJ

Well I guess the fact that Verizon is using AWS spectrum to bolster their LTE network means that PCS could be less meaningful. However since VoLTE is no where near deployable due to the ongoing issues, Verizon is still relying on PCS 1900 MHz until they can move people to VoLTE. Until Verizon can move their entire CDMA/EVDO network onto 850 MHz, they will need to keep their 1900 MHz.

As far as I know AT&T and Tmobile both need to keep their 1900 MHz spectrum so if Verizon is the only company that can part with their PCS 1900 MHz at least 10 MHz and in some cases and 20 MHz in most cases for each of the markets they would swap with Sprint then Sprint should do a spectrum swap with them.

I think Sprint is just trying to force Newco to sell Sprint some of their PCS spectrum in return for Sprint leaving the deal alone. I also think that would be the most beneficial out for Sprint (and consumers) - Sprint doesn't need that AWS spectrum, nor do they need another network to try and integrate into their own... T-Mobile REALLY needs the AWS Metro PCS' spectrum and some of their PCS spectrum, but not all of the PCS spectrum (If you look AJ's spreadsheet on how much PCS spectrum Newco would have should the deal go through, it's bordering on obscene in some markets).I think this would also be the best outcome for consumers: it would create a much stronger Sprint and a much stronger T-Mobile, and more competition is much better.

Tommy

• Like 1

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/03/metropcs-sprint-idUSL1E8N3GAK20121203?type=companyNews&feedType=RSS&feedName=companyNews&rpc=43

UPDATE 1-Sprint unlikely to make counter MetroPCS offer-sources

Mon Dec 3, 2012 6:48pm EST

By Nadia Damouni

Dec 3 (Reuters) - Sprint Nextel Corp is unlikely to make a counteroffer for MetroPCS Communications Inc <PCS.N, as it focuses on closing its $20.1 billion deal with Japan's Softbank Corp, three people familiar with the matter said on Monday.

Sprint, the third-largest U.S. wireless service provider, and Softbank, a mobile operator, announced in mid-October that the Japanese company would buy up to a 70 percent stake in Sprint.

Sprint thinks that making a bid for MetroPCS, which agreed to a takeover by Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile U.S.A., would complicate the ongoing regulatory review of its deal with Softbank, the people said.

Sprint, however, remains interested in U.S. consolidation and may revisit a potential deal after it secures approval for the proposed investment by Softbank, the people said. The people asked not to be named because the matter is not public.

Representatives for Softbank and Sprint declined to comment.

Shares of MetroPCS rose 6.2 percent in the past two trading sessions, with analysts and investors speculating that Sprint was preparing to make an offer for the smaller wireless service provider, before MetroPCS shareholders meet to vote on the deal with Deutsche Telekom.

That speculation was triggered by a three-week delay to Dec. 21 in the filing of Sprint's and Softbank's proxy statement on their proposed deal with the U.S. Securities and Exchanges Commission.

However, the delay in filing was not related to MetroPCS, the people familiar with the matter said. The delay came for two other reasons, the people said - negotiations between Sprint and Clearwire Corp over an interest payment, and accounting implications related to Sprint's $480 million deal in November to acquire some assets from U.S. Cellular.

Clearwire said on Monday that it has paid $255 million in debt interest due on Dec. 1. Sprint said it delayed the proxy statement because it needed more time given the complexity of the Softbank deal.

The deal between Sprint and Softbank is expected to close in mid-2013, subject to shareholder approval, U.S. antitrust and regulatory approval by the Federal Communications Commission, and Softbank's ability to secure financing.

"The problem is that at this point for them (Sprint) to put a bid would delay the closing with Softbank from a regulatory standpoint," said one of the people close to the situation.

Sprint does not want to make an offer for MetroPCS that would be conditioned upon their receiving approval for a tie-up with Softbank, a second source said.

Guest 503ducati

MetroPCS CEO sees more future consolidation including Sprint + T-Mobile USA.

Mr. Linquist acknowledged that further deals are likely, although it is unclear if the recent activity would bring pause or stimulate something larger. He said a "rollup of the industry," including the merger of T-Mobile and Sprint, is likely in coming years.

http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=478203&G=5&C=5&Page=0

Linquist didn’t comment on whether Sprint was working on a counterbid, though he said sooner or later the companies would probably come together.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-05/metropcs-chief-says-stock-undervalued-sees-more-mergers.html?cmpid=msnmoney