Does Sprint have LTE repeaters in stores?

One of the things that's always bugged me as being borderline dishonest (maybe not even borderline) is to have repeaters in the store that present a completely false impression of what the network is like in a given area. I think all the carriers do it, but with the real state of Sprint's network in many places (like St. Louis), it bothers me in particular. I do realize that it's a somewhat higher concentration of handsets on the network in the store, and I also realize that even without repeaters the network can drop off from one point to another 100 feet away. But it still paints a false picture of the network to potential customers, especially in areas where nowhere within 10 miles of the store has a usable network.

Anyway, I'm going to be up in the Chicago burbs later this week (Wilmette, Glenview, and the area), and I was thinking I'd stop by a Sprint store to see what the LTE network is looking like so far. Does anyone know if Sprint's already putting LTE repeaters in the store yet though? Or will I actually be on the real network if I get LTE in the store?

There is supposed to be only a small percentage of corporate stores with repeaters or LTE repeaters I read in a thread around here. The corporate store by me had an LTE repeater but they hadn't turned it on yet, I could tell, the phones had LTE coming and going constantly.

Repeaters are usually only installed in stores that have weak RF signals. For example, my store has a repeater in the back because we are equidistant from 4 different towers and are in a zone where phones hop around all the time. The network 500 feet in any direction is usable and doesn't have this issue. But the particular location of the store, combined with the building's materials means a poor experience in the store compared to the surrounding area, obviously Sprint can't let that happen.

That being said, we have a single T1 coming into the store to provide backhaul to this repeater (from what I can tell based on the maze of wires for the server rack), and while that may have worked when most phones were 1xRTT only, it sure doesn't cut it now in the age of EvDO devices.

• Like 1

In Network Vision documents, only approximately 10%-25% of corporate stores will get LTE repeaters. It seems highly variable by market.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• Like 1

No repeaters around here. Sprint picks the worst locations for their stores, I always have bad signal at them.

Interestingly, Shentel does pretty much the opposite and places most of their stores directly next to a tower from what I've seen.

No repeaters around here. Sprint picks the worst locations for their stores, I always have bad signal at them.

Well, they certainly did a good job here.

*opens back door*

*takes a photo*

25i9r2t.jpg

• Like 6

The Sprint store i go to in Fresno doesn't have a repeater, and you can tell with signals ranging from -85 to -90. The Visalia store is close to a site and does have a repeater, so its hit or miss in some areas.

Sent from my LG-LS840 Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I don't think a repeater will work in a area without LTE to begin with. You must have some kind of LTE signal for a repeater to work, I think that is how it goes. I have a signal booster at my house and it was the best investment I ever made. All bars all the time.

The local Sprint store I bought my iPhone5 in had a great signal in the store but it was not an LTE repeater. I've yet to see LTE anything in the Twin Cities with regards to Sprint.

We have our first LTE sites in Minnesota in the update this week. Stay tuned.

Robert via Nexus 7 on Tapatalk

• Like 2

Today was in my local Sprint store (ran by wireless lifestyle) and checked my LTE reception and was getting it like I was right next to a tower. Looked around and found the antenna pointed right into the sales floor area. Not great speed so might be using the backhaul from the store's connection. But there is real LTE in the area.

Screenshot_2012-11-26-13-05-45.pngScreenshot_2012-11-26-13-09-09.pngIMAG0344-1.jpg