Network editing and diagnostic tools(Advanced Users)

Okay, so this thread is for anyone who wants more specific info and or control over their phone. Disclaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk. Everything I list on here has been tested by me and does no harm to your device if done correctly.*

Debug mode- This mode gives you advanced network properties. It provides details on the 1X network, EVDO network, eHRPD Engineering as well as LTE Engineering/info.(MSL Code is not required for this) First, open up the dialer on your phone, then type ##DEBUG#. After that, a network engineering menu should appear. Note that nothing can be changed in this menu, only viewed.

Data Edit Mode- This is where these following instructions should be followed very closely, just to ensure nothing goes wrong.

For this method, you will need to have a service code (MSL) to enter this menu. This can be found by downloading aLogcat off of google play. Follow the rest of these instructions: *Courtesy of XDA Developers*

So step 1 is to go to your dialer and enter ##DATA# or ##3282# which will bring up the EPST menu Once the menu pops up just select "View Mode" At this point you will see a screen with 3 selections. From here either press and hold the Home Key and select aLogcat if you ran it before, go to your tray and run Logcat. After opening Logcat it will update, once it finishes press "Menu" and "Pause" the log. Then scroll until you see a group of entries labeled "I/EpstBroadcastReciever" which should be green Locate the line that has "MSL Code=" at the end of it Edit: Or press Menu and Filter "MSL" (thanks wjason). *

Okay so that being said, you now have the access code to enter the menu, so following that, enter ##DATA# into the dialer again, which will bring up the menu, then if you would like to edit something, tap edit. When prompted for a service code, enter the 6-digit code that you got from your logcat, then whalaaa, you now have access to your network settings like you've never seen before. Again, I stress that this is for advanced users ONLY. Enjoy the exploration guys :D any questions, comment on here and I will be glad to help!

Edited by rwhittaker13

I've never found much in these menus to be very helpful...

The CDMA tool won't map eHRPD properly if you try to map the base station...I don't know if eHRPD doesn't give out it's coordinates, or if it just doesn't pick it up properly...but the other day it was showing me base stations in the middle of the highway...in the middle of the river...etc..and places where I KNEW there was no tower.

• Like 1

The CDMA tool won't map eHRPD properly if you try to map the base station...I don't know if eHRPD doesn't give out it's coordinates, or if it just doesn't pick it up properly...but the other day it was showing me base stations in the middle of the highway...in the middle of the river...etc..and places where I KNEW there was no tower.

Um yeah if there was a tower in the middle of the river, we would have a problem lol.

I've never seen any app or debug screen give out the correct coordinates for towers.

Thanks for the additional method of obtaining the MSL.

On the ##DEBUG# screen, the Samsung devices have dial the code of SPRINT after they dial ##DEBUG#, it's described in the thread explaining how the bars lie for LTE strength.

And even for non-typical user like myself, the only thing I would be changing in the ##DATA# menu would be the LTE/CDMA/HDR modes.

Thats what i have done as well and not a problem! Usually, i change the network priority settings in the ##DATA# menu, just because of my location being between a further away tower that serves EVDO Rev.A, and a closer tower that serves 1xRTT, and i get about 2-3 bars with 1X and zero bars with the EVDO tower.

Ive never tried mapping coordinates with the service menu yet, how did you do that by chance?

It is certainly possible to isolate towers from the CDMA coordinates shown on devices (either on field test screens or via specialized apps.) But it is not simple, and you might have to do some field work with the S4GRU maps as an additional resource. See my comment in the FAQ thread.

Ive never tried mapping coordinates with the service menu yet, how did you do that by chance?

Depending on the OEM screen for CDMA properties, there might be a latitude and longitude shown. But often the value is a raw integer for each one. (And on my GS3, for example, the Longitude value on the 1X Engineering screen is wrong -- simply a bug on the part of Samsung. Other utilities show the raw Longitude correctly as a signed integer.)

Assuming the integers are correctly shown for Latitutude and Longitude, to convert them to decimal degrees convert the values to float and divide each one by 14400 . This is an artifact of the obscure definition of the raw integer values within the CDMA standard. It is the raw-integer format that is squawked by the towers. (Each integer increment represents 1/4 of an arc second.)

Once these values are properly converted to decimal degrees, you have just done the math that most utility apps do for you. Then you still have to deal with the problems described in this FAQ comment to map the actual towers.

• Like 2

Depending on the OEM screen for CDMA properties, there might be a latitude and longitude shown. But often the value is a raw integer for each one. (And on my GS3, for example, the Longitude value on the 1X Engineering screen is wrong -- simply a bug on the part of Samsung. Other utilities show the raw Longitude correctly as a signed integer.)

Assuming the integers are correctly shown for Latitutude and Longitude, to convert them to decimal degrees convert the values to float and divide each one by 14400 . This is an artifact of the obscure definition of the raw integer values within the CDMA standard. It is the raw-integer format that is squawked by the towers. (Each integer increment represents 1/4 of an arc second.)

Once these values are properly converted to decimal degrees, you have just done the math that most utility apps do for you. Then you still have to deal with the problems described in this FAQ comment to map the actual towers.

Thanks for the info :D when i get out of school, i will give this a shot

What do you change about these modes, and what's their effect??

edited..wasn't paying attention here.

To make your LTE work on the EVO LTE, people would toggle it to CDMA LTE only otherwise the phone kept dropping to EVDO.

To make your LTE work on the EVO LTE, people would toggle it to CDMA LTE only otherwise the phone kept dropping to EVDO.

Do you know by chance what was causing the EVO to constantly drop back to 3G, even when it had a 4G signal?

• 1 month later...
Just to let y'all know, I will no longer be posting on these forums.

Okeedokee. Thanks for stopping by.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I found coordinates by downloading an app called "LTE Setting" off of google play. It opens up a secret phone menu actually. After that, tap phone settings and scroll down. It will show you coordinates with many other details about the connected cell tower. ( This is seperate from the Qpst screen)

Is there equevelent ## codes for the iPhone 5? If so any one know what they are? I have only ever found *300#12345#*, but that one gives only certain info. Thanks.

As far as I have ever known, that is the only code for the iPhone. If I find anymore, I will let you know. But the key things needed for searching for LTE site ID's and signal are all found right there in the Field Test app.