Network Vision/LTE - Tucson/Yuma Market

jasper7821

Now I am really confused! We were all lead to believe that 4G would provide better penetration.

Actually, it's not that big of a deal to switch back and forth - I get full bars for phone calls in CDMA and 3-4 bars when using data in 4G (usually 7.5-15 Mbps). Bottom line is service has improved significantly.

P.S. Sensorly reflects a 4 bar signal is tops for 4G.

Whoever told you that told you wrong. LTE is more fragile than EVDO (3G), and therefore will have a *slightly* smaller footprint than EVDO. 

When 800 LTE is able to be turned on (it may be some time due to your proximity to the Mexican border) that will help tremendously with coverage. But as I said, it's not known when that will happen in your area.

Sensorly only shows 4 "bars," but that doesn't have any real world coloration with the number of "bars" you will see. It has to do with the signal strength, of which bars are arbitrarily assigned. 

-_- Its just extremely frustrating.. No LTE at home or work and when i do run into it it doesn't  function half the time anyway. The whole process feels pointless. 

What is an air link? I thought they were both 1900? 

Airlink is the connection from your phone to the tower. 

EVDO and LTE are both PCS (1900MHz range). However, because LTE requires a stronger signal to work, it's footprint is just a bit smaller than EVDO. 

• Like 1

Anybody else having horrible indoor coverage?  I work at the Quik Trip on 1st and Glenn, I can see an LTE tower about 100 yards away.  When I go indoors, my coverage significantly drops from full to 2-3 bars.  At other places I've noticed having 2-3 bars outside, then going inside and being at 3g half the time and a bar of LTE the other half.

Welcome to 1900MHz building penetration in an area of the country that utilizes Low-E windows and insulation (dramatically affect RF reception). Not to mention the fact that many buildings built now have metal frameworks and thus create a sort of hole-filled faraday cage inside them. 3G has similar signal loss, but LTE is a more fragile airlink and thus needs a cleaner and stronger signal to operate at the same performance level so you don't "see" the loss.

The 800MHz spectrum should fix that issue, however we won't see it for a while in Tucson due to the international border. The IBEZ ends somewhere near downtown Tucson, but because of that, the Tucson/Yuma Market in general isn't currently slated for 800 until the international issues can be negotiated properly.

Question, if an account is suspended, hotlined etc, would this message occur on all the phones in ones account or only on the main line?  

Edit: never mind, found the problem. and to answer my own question, yes, the other three lines were not suspended, only the main line on the account. Seems that I failed to correct my Banks' BillPay which had the previous credit card (that was hacked) number and didn't update with the new card. So my payment never went through lol opps.

Sprint ain't no joke, You have 10 days left to pay, but we want our money now. It isn't called the Now network for no reason. lol

TS

Hotlined accounts are different than suspended ones. Hotlined accounts happen with non-payment, suspension and such are different, but look the same on the phone end. It used to just be outgoing calls were blocked and redirected for billing; texting, incoming calls, and data all worked. Now that many people don't call anymore, they had to change that since many people didn't see any inconvenience, which is the entire purpose of it.

• 2 weeks later...

LTE Theoretical Range

When I was driving down the I-10 back to Tucson from Phoenix I was picking up 1-2 bars around a little North of Casa Grande.  I looked up the towers on the sponsor map, and GPS's the LAT and LONG, and the two towers I was bouncing between were about 5-6 miles away.  This area is pretty much all rural with no physical barriers, and my LTE data was unusable, as discussed by the previous posts.  Just interesting to see the theoretical maximum of LTE is around a little more than 5-6 miles, however the usable range which you can actually use data is much less.  Don't know if anyone else has tested or played with anything like this, just found it interesting and figured I would share.

LTE Theoretical Range

When I was driving down the I-10 back to Tucson from Phoenix I was picking up 1-2 bars around a little North of Casa Grande.  I looked up the towers on the sponsor map, and GPS's the LAT and LONG, and the two towers I was bouncing between were about 5-6 miles away.  This area is pretty much all rural with no physical barriers, and my LTE data was unusable, as discussed by the previous posts.  Just interesting to see the theoretical maximum of LTE is around a little more than 5-6 miles, however the usable range which you can actually use data is much less.  Don't know if anyone else has tested or played with anything like this, just found it interesting and figured I would share.

Theoretical maximum range with clear line of sight and perfect atmospheric conditions is something like 7-8 miles for PCS. 5-6 miles is more of the theoretical max range for BRS/EBS 2500mhz which again assumes the ideal conditions. 

So are they finished adding and tuning coverage ? Where I live i can occasionally get 4g, but it is very unstable (-113 RSRP and worse) and switches between 3g adn 4g so often, it makes it unusable.  trying to go anything that requires a constant connection (streaming, skype, etc) just fails every minute or so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess Sprint has the southern part of Arizona covered in total fast LTE service.... :-)

I say that because the posts here have almost stopped. (We used to be called complainers).

But, it is true the coverage has improved and LTE is better then the older 3G.

I am still wishing the coverage would improve in south Yuma county.

Are we going to see "Tri-band" in the next year?

My thoughts,

Lateck.

I guess Sprint has the southern part of Arizona covered in total fast LTE service.... :-)

I say that because the posts here have almost stopped. (We used to be called complainers).

My thoughts,

Lateck.

I can assure you that South Yuma County is getting some upgrades. The tower West of Somerton has all the hardware upgraded as of a couple of weeks. It will be soon that it will get accepted ✌. I haven't been further south so I couldn't tell you about Gasden or San Luis

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My thoughts,

Lateck.

If you look at the map on Sensorly most of Oro Valley, Marana, Continental Ranch is not even covered, Is this is a far is Sprint is going, I have been hanging on patiently for years for Wimax and LTE and I get nothing .

If you look at the map on Sensorly most of Oro Valley, Marana, Continental Ranch is not even covered, Is this is a far is Sprint is going, I have been hanging on patiently for years for Wimax and LTE and I get nothing .

Sprint is deploying LTE on all of its sites. Some of those sites are rather rural, and it may take some time to get the needed high speed backhaul in place in order to fire up LTE. If you get a decent 3G signal, you will eventually have LTE. However its very difficult to put a time frame on that.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I always thought this was funny because there is a Century Link building right off of cortaro by the I-10. Im not sure how they are laying down the lines but i thought they would be close to there own building. I get 4G most of the time on ina by my house but past the 10 where i work it drops. 

Im hoping by the end of the year they get most if not all the towers connected! I thought there was a pattern of how they were getting fiber to the tower but it feels so random now.  

Well, thank you all. It was so quite here the crickets even stopped. :-D

Hypeo; thanks for the Somerton up-date.

MTP85743; I hope the best for you. Sprint says it will be up-grading........ ?? :-)

Newgroundsguru; in my short time on this forum, there has never been a logical pattern to Sprints roll out. (There I go complaining again). :-)

But, I will admit, Sprint's coverage here in the area of Yuma that I roam, has Improved!

Keep in touch,

Lateck

• 1 month later...

This forum is about as active as my data connection.... any new towers come up with 4g in Tucson ? Is the project complete ?  Mine is still mostly unusable near River and Campbell.  

Most of the sites are up and running. All the sites around river and campbell have 4g.

There is one at limberlost and oracle that does not have 4g yet.

• 3 weeks later...

What has happened to 4G in Yuma?

For the last 3/4 days I have not had any in any part of the town.

Lateck,

4g has become very unusable in many parts of the city. My phone connects to 3g most of the time now. 4g speeds for me where I work are about. .03Mbps down and .01 up. No explanation from Sprint other than, "sorry that's the way it's going to be".

This is one of the better ones today..

uhupubu3.jpg

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk