Network Vision/LTE - Hawaii Market (including Honolulu, Oahu and all Hawaiian Islands)

markjcc

Most of Waikiki has LTE coverage now. There are a couple of dead spots that I need to call Sprint about. At Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center near the intersection of Don Ho Lane and Royal Hawaiian Ave, I haven't been able to get service of any kind. The phone shows a full LTE signal, but text messages won't send and calls won't go through. There are a couple of other places that do that as well, but that's the only one in Waikiki.

If you have a single band LTE phone, the LTE symbol and voice signal is separate. I have LTE in Waipahu but roaming 1x voice. Could be that the voice tower you've connected to is having issues

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Unless you're torrenting something, would it even be noticeable? Normal web browsing/youtube/social networking, I can't tell the difference between regulat Sprint LTE and any other network.

My question was directed at the statement of Sprint will blow away the competitors. I am assuming he meant speed of download? Because as far as coverage is concerned? At&t and Verizon has the edge here on Oahu in that regard.

My question was directed at the statement of Sprint will blow away the competitors. I am assuming he meant speed of download? Because as far as coverage is concerned? At&t and Verizon has the edge here on Oahu in that regard.

Spark theoretically can reach speeds into the gbps when optimized. Current markets with Spark have real world speeds of 80+mbps right now. However with Spark being on 2.5ghz, building penetration won't be strong.

Spark theoretically can reach speeds into the gbps when optimized. Current markets with Spark have real world speeds of 80+mbps right now. However with Spark being on 2.5ghz, building penetration won't be strong.

T-mobile speed in my house. In Hawaii Kai, Honolulu

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eky0tjidnz4sdry/Screenshot_2014-10-30-17-06-30.png?dl=0

Edited by HawaiiD

T-mobile speed in my house. In Hawaii Kai, Honolulu

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eky0tjidnz4sdry/Screenshot_2014-10-30-17-06-30.png?dl=0

Its like that in a lot of places. Tmobile used 10x10 for most of its AWS spectrum and some markets have since gotten 15x15 or 20x20 I believe. Sprint used only 5x5 for SMR and G Block bands. Haven't looked into what theyre using for their 2.5GHz.

But like I said, Spark can theoretically reach into the gbps. If it gets that fast, who knows. Sprint also owns a lot of LTE spectrum. Whether they use it or not, who knows.

Its like that in a lot of places. Tmobile used 10x10 for most of its AWS spectrum and some markets have since gotten 15x15 or 20x20 I believe. Sprint used only 5x5 for SMR and G Block bands. Haven't looked into what theyre using for their 2.5GHz.

But like I said, Spark can theoretically reach into the gbps. If it gets that fast, who knows. Sprint also owns a lot of LTE spectrum. Whether they use it or not, who knows.

Sprint runs 20 mhz TDD carriers in a 6:3 ratio (101/14.7 theoretical) which in real world is superior to a 10x10 on the downlink and slightly inferior on the uplink. 

Sprint has the spectrum today to put 4-6 20 mhz carrier in each market at this very moment. They already have 2 20mhz carriers live in many markets with more ready to come along as they prepare for the release of carrier aggregation devices. 

Once 800 LTE is fully launched, coverage will be better. Then once the fire up the 8t8r's, then capacity will not be an issue.

I looked at the building permits, and there is no mention of 8t8r's. So you will have to look at the antennas.

Grapplefu,

Last night there was another bump in speed on Oahu.I was averaging about 103MB Down in Hawaii Kai real world.

Once 800 LTE is fully launched, coverage will be better. Then once the fire up the 8t8r's, then capacity will not be an issue.

I looked at the building permits, and there is no mention of 8t8r's. So you will have to look at the antennas.

Can't wait to see those speeds.Hopefully,they pass at&t and Verizon here

What is the current setup now on Oahu?

5x5mhz

• 2 weeks later...

Caught seven such permit applications on Oahu.  Possibly more.  Too lazy to look any further.

SPRINT - ARCADE BLDG // Lyum Enterprises -- Remove and replace (3) existing antenna's with (3) new 2500MHz pane antenna's. Install (3) 2500 MHz RRH's and (1) Hybiflex cable. [THIRD PARTY REVIEW]

As someone from Cincinnati who visits Maui every year, I will say Ohio has been a horrid place for the upgrade because all of Ohio had Motorola equipment and they found out in Chicago which also had Motorola as well, they had to do a TON of prep work that took almost a year before anything could be turned on. If they didnt, service dropped too much between upgraded and non upgraded towers. So I think you guys dont have to go through that because Alcatel/Lucent is also 4G and you already have that equipment from what I read. Sprint gave me a free Microcell for most of the conversion the service was so bad at the beginning and I am glad they saw fit to do that. Sprint reps know very little about the conversion so dont depend on the reps. We had local members in Cincinnati at almost every tower off and on during the day scoping them out so we knew about what was being done well before anyone in the Sprint NOC did. Someone said earlier that you start seeing 3G upgrades, and you will see tons of them before you get any 4G. It will seem like the prep work will never end, then one by one sometimes 3 a day, Sprint will turn them on and it is just a beautiful thing. Find the local contractors doing the work and you will know a lot!

Edited by swohiom4m

Capacity is having data during a nfl game and not timing out.

My interpretation of capacity would be like... The capacity to provide up to 400 data connections per tower without slowing down.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 via the Coconut Wireless