Sprint Deployment vs. AT&T Deployment

I agree lol I looked at the map yesterday sprint lte is twice what att has here in Chicago

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

The potential fallacy here is that there are areas in which ATT or Sprint may have coverage but no one has logged sensorly yet.

Or the fact that Sprint users seem to be unnaturally attached to Sensorly.... lol

Sprint is the only carrier mapped in my zip code. Hardly anyone else has napped here (had my cousin map a little bit of att.) But it just goes to show you can map all you want on sprint without worrying about your precious data limit. I think that's what hinders Vzw and att users the most. Data limits.

So you can't really trust Sensorly for actual map coverage, because there's a lot of spots that hasn't been mapped by users. I a impressed with Samsung markets deploying lte for Sprint.

gagymezu.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Sprint is the only carrier mapped in my zip code. Hardly anyone else has napped here (had my cousin map a little bit of att.) But it just goes to show you can map all you want on sprint without worrying about your precious data limit. I think that's what hinders Vzw and att users the most. Data limits.

So you can't really trust Sensorly for actual map coverage' date=' because there's a lot of spots that hasn't been mapped by users. I a impressed with Samsung markets deploying lte for Sprint.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2[/quote']

The funny thing is that mapping sensorly takes very little data usage.

• Like 1

The average Joe doesn't know that. ;)

Very true... it is quite concerning what the average Joe doesn't know.

I am very tempted to create another account with the username TheAverageJoe, then post, "Hey, I resent those remarks."

AJ

• Like 1

I am very tempted to create another account with the username TheAverageJoe' date=' then post, "Hey, I resent those remarks."

AJ[/quote']

I was going to post a disclaimer that I have nothing against someone with the name "Joe" but decided not to.

We use the term "Joe Sh--bag" sometimes at work. Then, during a meeting, a guy who is named Joe said something like "I resent that"...... he now has a new nickname

• Like 1

It automatically capitalized Joe. Lol and AJ' date=' that'd be entertaining reading your posts from that alias.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

[/quote']

I'll go out on a limb and say it's entertaining to read AJ's posts from any alias... ;-)

We use the term "Joe Sh--bag" sometimes at work. Then, during a meeting, a guy who is named Joe said something like "I resent that"...... he now has a new nickname

Yeah, resentment over a nickname often does not turn out well...

AJ

• Like 2

So back to topic, with AT&T actively deploying on whatever 700mhz they have, how much of the country will they have lit up?

PhoneScoop did a nice job of putting together license maps after both the AWS-1 and 700 MHz auctions. The latter is over four years in the rearview mirror now, so consider the AT&T map as a starting point, since AT&T has acquired some Lower 700 MHz spectrum in the intervening years.

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=187&p=231

AJ

PhoneScoop did a nice job of putting together license maps after both the AWS-1 and 700 MHz auctions. The latter is over four years in the rearview mirror now, so consider the AT&T map as a starting point, since AT&T has acquired some Lower 700 MHz spectrum in the intervening years.

http://www.phonescoo...php?a=187&p=231

AJ

Going along with that, AJ, where's your link for the spectrum holdings breakdown for all the carriers? Had an interesting debate today with an RF Engineer, and I referenced your data.

Apparently at&t has a plan for lte advanced middle of next year..... those 100 mbps speeds may be hard to pass up.

Unless everyone else has them too....

DId you check the license maps for AT&T? They can barely cover major metro's with 700 and wont have access to any other type of spectrum to use for years (WCS).

Major metros could have ClearWire TDD LTE Advanced too, 20 Mhz TDD carriers could give better than 100mbps speeds.

Sprint will cover 100% of their footprint in 5x5 LTE Advanced with 4x4 MIMO meaning speeds that are up there, maybe not 100mbps up there but likely 20-30 under normal conditions and 50-60 with a good signal, this isn't even counting the 800 spectrum which will have an even greater 50-60mbps coverage area.

When it comes to LTE coverage, Sprint will be second only to Verizon (at least for the next few years).

Edit: I feel like more and more I'm starting to resemble the south park version of Al Gore or Napoleon Dynamite and for that I appologize vryan44.

• Like 2

At 100Mbps, you could burn through a 2GB AT&T tier of data in 2 minutes and 40 seconds. You could also burn through a fully charged battery in a couple hours.

LTE advanced is not ready for prime time, and AT&T will not have it next year.

• Like 5

At 100Mbps, you could burn through a 2GB AT&T tier of data in 2 minutes and 40 seconds. You could also burn through a fully charged battery in a couple hours.

I think a lot of the AT&T and Verizon users have gotten used to a data cap, so they don't worry about that.

DId you check the license maps for AT&T? They can barely cover major metro's with 700 and wont have access to any other type of spectrum to use for years (WCS).

Edit: I feel like more and more I'm starting to resemble the south park version of Al Gore...

Oh...my...god, it all makes sense now. Randall Stephenson is ManBearPig.

AJ

• Like 2

Apparently at&t has a plan for lte advanced middle of next year..... those 100 mbps speeds may be hard to pass up.

Definitely not. AT&T is barely starting to pick up speed on their LTE deployment now.

• Like 1

Sounds like Cox and their caps. Even with the highest tier you could burn through the cap in about 12 hours.

Sent from a little old Note 2

• Like 1

I wanted to talk about a few topics covered here, but instead of responding to each person individually, I will address them in aggregate.

The idea that sprint needs to add new areas to their coverage map is ridiculous. They need to deploy the 800Mhz spectrum in the areas they already serve first to improve the perception of their coverage. It is not the people that want to travel outside sprint's network that sprint should be targeting, but those that are already inside their network coverage that see sprints network as inferior to the coverage of AT&T or VZW. People often see fewer bars or more dropped calls in my area, and think of it as an inferior network, and not worth the $10 average savings per line. If sprint can prove that they can serve areas where they currently have coverage, they will start to eat away at the customers of the big 2. Once they start to take some of the customers from the other carriers, they will have more revenue and a will have the ability to start adding towers. But I would not see it as likely to expand into new areas, rather just continuing to add towers to the outskirts of existing areas and areas where they pay high roaming fees. Now if they buy some of the smaller regional carriers, that is different then the "if you build it, they will come" mentality some people have posted here.

I am hopeful that this will be the plan that sprint will follow, and that they will only improve for those current customers and future perspective customers.

Now to the point of this thread, AT&T's deployment is theoretically flawed when compared to sprint's plan. Even after At&t completes the purchase of additional spectrum in the 700MHz band, it still will not be a contiguous coverage across the country, and will still be limited to one 5X5 carrier in some major cities.

On the contrary, Sprint has a nationwide license for the PCS-G block that allows a nationwide 5X5 LTE carrier without taking away from their current PCS holdings. They will also have another nearly nationwide 5X5 LTE carrier in the 800MHz band as well as a voice carrier, which will match the current amount of spectrum that Verizon has deployed for their LTE network.

Now this should be sufficient for most low usage areas, such as the areas around the centers of population, but once LTE becomes adopted on all the smartphones, cities will need extra spectrum... Enter Clearwire (in case anyone forgot, they do own a TON of spectrum that is perfectly suited for city deployment) who can not only take some of the pressure off sprint's LTE network, but could redefine a high speed mobile AND home internet! I know it will take more than just softbank's money to make this happen, it will take a full turn around of the entire business, but given the momentum in this direction I am optimistic.

Overall, Sprint's deployment plan is much more advanced than At&t's is currently, even though At&t has more cities deployed so far. This is not to say that sprint's network experience will be better though, they still have to execute on their plan, and At&t could always make a move to increase their position. Only time will tell.

• Like 6

The key next step is while their NV deployment remains on track, get more 800mhz up, even with 1x voice. I for one would gladly take the trade off of slow or nonexistent data on 1x, because the majority of those locations are inbuilding, where WIFI is available.

I look at areas such as Queens and Brooklyn, where tower density is trumped by brick pre-war buildings. Having 1x even on voice would help a bunch of Sprint customers I know, because they have service issues at their house.

Sounds like Cox and their caps. Even with the highest tier you could burn through the cap in about 12 hours.

Sent from a little old Note 2

I really wish they would do away with their (COX) caps or at least advertise them better and not have them hidden in an obscure part of the terms and conditions page. The highest residential tier they offer in my area is 50mbps up / 15 down for a fee of $99/month. The cap for said tier is 400GB/month. Initially it sounds like a lot, until you factor in cell offloading, media streaming, cloud computing/cloud connected services, regular web surfing/emailing/chatting and gaming from a variety of devices including but not limited to VOIP/Telephony services, connected TV's, game consoles, desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphones and probably the kitchen sink in some hi-tech homes.

END: SOAPBOX

not really a complaint other than 1. There are not any viable/other/higher options available (cable monopolies still exist) other than commercial fiber and 2. the data "caps" are UNadvertised