Network Vision/LTE - Albuquerque market (including El Paso, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, Roswell)

S4GRU

Just read the past couple of day's worth of posts. Now, I am not going to adopt some leap of faith and suggest I think Sprint is going to surprise us any time soon, but I hope I am wrong.

In the past couple of days, I have noticed an improvement in the horrible signal quality (both voice and data) that we all have been experiencing for the past few weeks. Just now I have run a series of speed tests and am impressed not by the speed but the CONSISTENCY. I am getting rock-steady results of just under 500 kbs down and almost 900 up. The upload speed has ALWAYS been almost double the down speed for me, with the exceptions of rare times when I have seen download speeds of 1-2+ mbs over the past year. But the upload speed has NEVER been as high as I am seeing CONSISTENTLY tonight.  My pings are also STEADY at right around 150ms. As far as I am concerned, that is way more important than max speed overall.  

As far as I am concerned....I don't even care about LTE. I see no need for that on a phone unless you are going out of your way to use it, which I am not. I WISH I could just tether my whole household internet usage......which I DID DO with ATT at one time for about a year....one month even using 117 GIGS of data through a NON-SMART phone and back fed into my router for our main internet connection at excellent 3G speeds.

But now, I am simply concerned about a DEPENDABLE and USABLE speed and coverage on my phone.....which I HAVEN'T had for the 18 months I have had Sprint.

I do assume that what I am seeing now is a result of getting closer to LTE, though.

• Like 1

I have come across a couple sites in southeast abq today putting out ping times less than 110 ms and downloads over 2mbps. Could they have activated the new panels with fiber remotely?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Well what I was thinking was they did said upgrades, and them hooked up several sites how they originally were. (Legacy?) because at one location after the weekend or so of bad service, unreliable connection, and then a period of ping less then 100, and down of more then 2.1, Sprint said is was upgraded, but ping and speeds were back to before the upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if I can post the screen shot, but got sub 100 ping and 2.5 downloads at San Mateo and south bound frontage road today.

That has been one of the worst spots historically.  Both the site behind Cliffs off San Mateo and the one off E. Osuna by the golf course have been very, very bad the past 2 years.  I hope the integration teams are coming in soon.

Even though I could not see the glorious day of LTE in New Mexico the four years I lived there, I hope it comes on soon for all of you!

Robert

It is very interesting to me that all these sites seem to be "flipped" on with fiber backhaul.  Does anyone know if LTE integration requires a site visit?  

Yes.  It does indeed.

Robert

So that means that the sites thought to have received backhaul by now are probably just waiting for an acceptance visit before they are turned on?

That's my theory.  It seems way too many sudden improvements across the metro with low ping times to be coincidence.  I think we are on the edge of some LTE acceptances.  It's hard to get excited though.  We have been let down before.

Robert

• Like 1

The tower at Yale and Cesar Chavez is fiber upgraded and whatever tower I was connected to near Kelly's on central. I didn't really check to see which one I was on. Also, the tower on eubank in between Comanche and Montgomery was running over 2.3 mbps and 91 ms ping today.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

That's my theory. It seems way too many sudden improvements across the metro with low ping times to be coincidence. I think we are on the edge of some LTE acceptances. It's hard to get excited though. We have been let down before.

Robert

Yeah that makes sense. I have a feeling when it happened it's going to be like someone releasing a flood. But that could be in a week, or in a year. Now hitting 2014 and still barely average 3G performance I'm hoping it comes soon.

CJ

Sent from my iPhone 5

Just got .2mbps near Central & Juan Tabo. In what part of SE Albuquerque are you guys finding high speeds?

Posted Image

Well I'm wondering what's up there, because I was at the tower on Juan Tabo on the south side of I-40 and got 1.91/0.96 with a ping of 104. I have noticed almost everywhere I'm at that hasn't been upgraded, I'm guessing, I have been getting upload speeds 2X as fast as download.

CJ

Sent from my iPhone 5

By Zio's near Cottonwood mall, I did two speed test, one inside and outside.

2.28 Download // .54 Upload // 116 Ping - Inside

1.51 Download // .40 Upload // 132 Ping - Outside

That's impressive for what was probably a pretty busy sector being that is serving the mall area.

These speeds remind me of when I got my first flip phone with sprint that had Sprint Tv. This awesome free service that you could stream news and music videos and stuff. So what happens next is 5 minutes of buffering for a 30 second video clip... Ironically, things haven't changed much.

Happy early new year to you all.

image.jpg

I remember like 3? weeks ago I was shopping around that area and my phone was unusable. It was on Sprint 1x the whole time and everything failed. Once I went to my car it started to roam, and everything I missed started to come through.

CJ

Sent from my iPhone 5

I wish those Cottonwood Mall speeds could be just a little more widespread. I live a stone's throw from there in the Ventana Ranch/CNM area and I've been roaming 50-65% for the last week. I've been on 1x 85% of the time. I'm fairly certain that I'm using the Paradise tower and they HAVE to be upgrading it now...it's just whatever they're doing the tower doesn't like it because it's taking quite a while haha.