PRLs and LTE

Apparently I am wrong and I will admit it. From everything I saw and read it looked like the PRL did not have anything to do with LTE or the PCS G block.

Driving through Houston or should I say riding through Houston, with an EVO LTE and Galaxy 3. The Sammy is fully stock. EVO LTE is not of course. It has the latest firmware and base with a 12124 based prl. I couldn't get a 4G connection on the evo. I tried everything until the last thing I tried, PRL update to 25xxx. Boom.. 4g.

It makes total sense now. It's based on the MCC MNC records in these prls. Although it has nothing to do with the acquisition records themselves. Maybe it is just hard coded to g block. And later if another carrier is added it would get pushed or hashed to the other carrier like evdo does.

I want to confirm.. Has anyone been able to pickup LTE with a non 24xxx or 25xxx prl?

On another note.. The scanning is fixed on the EVO. I found I had a 4G indicator more on the evo than the galaxy 3. Shocker there. Would have thought it was the other way around.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 2

Apparently I am wrong and I will admit it. From everything I saw and read it looked like the PRL did not have anything to do with LTE or the PCS G block.

Driving through Houston or should I say riding through Houston, with an EVO LTE and Galaxy 3. The Sammy is fully stock. EVO LTE is not of course. It has the latest firmware and base with a 12124 based prl. I couldn't get a 4G connection on the evo. I tried everything until the last thing I tried, PRL update to 25xxx. Boom.. 4g.

It makes total sense now. It's based on the MCC MNC records in these prls. Although it has nothing to do with the acquisition records themselves. Maybe it is just hard coded to g block. And later if another carrier is added it would get pushed or hashed to the other carrier like evdo does.

I want to confirm.. Has anyone been able to pickup LTE with a non 24xxx or 25xxx prl?

On another note.. The scanning is fixed on the EVO. I found I had a 4G indicator more on the evo than the galaxy 3. Shocker there. Would have thought it was the other way around.

I've connected to lte while on a vow prl. Galaxy nexus

It makes total sense now. It's based on the MCC MNC records in these prls.

I have MCC-MNC 310-120 for Sprint LTE. Do you have anything different, any variation?

AJ

Each record has a sid with it too and a subnet FF'd. Which I assume is a wildcard like the 65535 full word value in most NIDs and the subnets on EVDO so you pick up every tower and panel.

The sid is the adjoining sid record for the cdma side of things.

Now I am curious which MCC records are in the prl. I never had the chance to add that comparison part into my PRL app yet.

So who has qpst and the 25xxx prl and wants to look it up? :)

Vow?

I think he meant VZW

After the VZ-Cable/VZW-SpectrumCo transaction, I have taken a *vow* to avoid VZW.

AJ

• Like 2

Now I am curious which MCC records are in the prl. I never had the chance to add that comparison part into my PRL app yet.

So who has qpst and the 25xxx prl and wants to look it up? :)

I used to have the qualcomm PRL editor extension to Excel. I wanted to make the one PRL to rule them all but I got bored and lost interest (I'm a lazy mofo).

Sooo... Add this to your list in Waco, Robert. Once you find LTE, load the 12124 prl and see if you can connect. Patiently awaiting confirmation... Tick tock tick tock... Tap tap tap... Jeopardy song starts playing.

I used to have the qualcomm PRL editor extension to Excel. I wanted to make the one PRL to rule them all but I got bored and lost interest (I'm a lazy mofo).

You just need the prl editor that comes with qpst.. And of course the file.

So if understand this correctly, you cannot modify your PRL to get EvDo roaming if you have an LTE phone at this time?

Not necessarily. You can modify the 25xxx prl to add evdo roaming.

I am not 100% sure on this either, but about 95%. I am waiting on further confirmation from people in a LTE area that know how to load PRL files.

There is another piece to this puzzle that I have never understood, which might be relevant. Those with EVO 4G LTEs report that there is a screen under the hidden LTE menu labeled CDMA List, which is a dynamic table of CDMA SIDs and BSIDs . (This screen is absent on the GS3.)

The relationship of these CDMA records to LTE, I think, has been a mystery. It is not as if anyone has shown that LTE node base stations broadcast the CDMA IDs of the towers where they are colocated. I have surmised that this "CDMA list" is a list of the CDMA sites the phone detects while it has an LTE connection. But of course I really don't know.

So Robert confirmed it with the S3 as well. Sounds like it does depend on the MCC/MNC records. If there are any other S3 or EVO LTE owners in an LTE area, I'd like a confirmation from you as well with 12124 if you can. Just to make sure this is 100%...I'm about 98% now ;)

I'm thinking this has to do with the no SIM card on the Sprint phones. So they snuck it into the PRLs to control the LTE. The record doesn't control the band/channels at all as it has nothing to do with G block from what I can tell.

So... what MCC MNC records are in 25006? Let's take a look:

4162 - New York

4170 - Phoenix

4121 - Denver

4120 - Dallas

4181 - San Antonio

4812 - Memphis TN

4103 - Birmingham AL

4124 - Des Moines IA

4654 - Jacksonville FL

4982 - Richmond VA

4384 - Chicago IL

4148 - Louisville KY

4274 - Atlanta GA

Sooo... weird ones in the list right? Where's Houston? Where's Baltimore? How are they working right now? Are those towers assigned wrong SIDs right now on the LTE side? Nope. It looks like they only need to assign one MCC/MNC record to each Geographic section of the PRL, just like how EVDO Assn records are done. They FFF the record and it covers all the SIDs in the geo record. That takes care of the weird list. So I looked at things a bit further. Which geo areas don't have a "LTE" record? AK, NE, HI, & VI/PR

Hmm...the plot thickens. I need a guniea pig that knows how to load PRLs on their phone in an LTE area as I'd like to test a few ideas.

So... what MCC MNC records are in 25006? Let's take a look: 4162 - New York 4170 - Phoenix 4121 - Denver 4120 - Dallas 4181 - San Antonio 4812 - Memphis TN 4103 - Birmingham AL 4124 - Des Moines IA 4654 - Jacksonville FL 4982 - Richmond VA 4384 - Chicago IL 4148 - Louisville KY 4274 - Atlanta GA

My question is: how are those MCC-MNC records? Those are SIDs, which are an IS-41 (AMPS, TDMA, CDMA) construct. MCC-MNC should be 310-120 (310 for the US, 120 for Sprint).

AJ

There is one sid associated with each MCC record. And actually Sprint has their code FF'd.

Still doing my research on this whole MCC MNC thing and what they are really supposed to be used for.

Indeed I was correct, each GEO requires a MCC record.

I did some digging and found a 683-E PRL in the NV on the phone. Actually has the proper LTE records and full MCC MNC for Sprint. I wasn't able to find the MSPL and MLPL files though.

The MLPL defines systems in terms of MCC only. Although existing PRLs can encode MCC information (see CDG Reference Document #86), in many cases the MCC broadcast by 1X / DO networks is not reliable. Instead, MMSS makes use of a new PRL record structure added to revision E of IS-683 to “tag” a 1X or DO system with an MCC (and possibly MNC).

This IS-683-E PRL creates an alias MCC for a 1X / DO system that is internally defined in the MS/UE, and is not dependent on the broadcast MCC value from the system. This MCC value is then used to find a match in the MLPL, so the correct technology priorities can be applied.

The new system record may be provisioned as follows:

 Only a single “tagged” record is required in each GEO. All untagged systems will be assumed to have the same MCC value. It is recommended to apply the tag to the first record in the GEO for clarity.

 Use of a wildcard MNC is recommended, to match the MCC-level granularity in the MLPL.

 The tagged record can be either a 1X or DO system record (both use the same new System Record Type value).

 Rather than adding a tag to an existing record, it is recommended to duplicate the record and then tag it. This can assist non-IS-683-E capable devices to skip the new record and access the remaining PRL records without missing a high-priority system.

In initial LTE deployments, there may be regions (represented by GEOs in the PRL) where no LTE service is available. There may or may not be home 1X / DO coverage in these regions (refer Figure 2-1 above). To avoid unnecessarily scanning for Home LTE service in these regions, implementations may support an optimization such that a device that acquires a 3GPP2 system in a PRL GEO where no system is tagged with an MCC will not attempt to start MMSS. Operators can leave their non-LTE GEOs unmodified from the standard IS-683-C format to prevent scanning for LTE in these regions.

I can confirm on the galaxy nexus, I am able to use a hacked Verizon-only prl (00001) to be on Verizon Evdo and Sprint LTE simultaneously. I can also be a dummy and try any other prl if needed.

Thanks, saved me some time.

When I first found Sprint LTE, I was on 00001, so I was confused. I stopped roaming anyways, but now I'm gonna start again.