Network Vision/LTE - Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands Market

Gab2012

It had a outage yesterday when it started raining, I was kind of hoping.

Yeah me too, but man that was a hell of a lot of rain that fell yesterday.

im roamin on 1x now

I am getting the feeling that you live on the edge of a cell site. You post about having 1 bar and switching between 1x and roaming and such a lot. I don't know if 800Mhz will be deployed in the VI but you will only have a slight improvement in performance and coverage if you are so far away from the tower.

That is unless at one point you had full bars before that.

I am getting the feeling that you live on the edge of a cell site. You post about having 1 bar and switching between 1x and roaming and such a lot. I don't know if 800Mhz will be deployed in the VI but you will only have a slight improvement in performance and coverage if you are so far away from the tower.

That's not the issue, the problem in the VI is that due to strict building codes most homes are concrete fortresses since there will always be a constant threat of hurricanes.  You could be standing outside and have full bars but as soon as you go inside your signal strength gets cut in half at the minimum.  800mhz would work wonders in the VI for sprint customers but I don't think that will happen anytime soon if ever.

• Like 1

That's not the issue, the problem in the VI is that due to strict building codes most homes are concrete fortresses since there will always be a constant threat of hurricanes.  You could be standing outside and have full bars but as soon as you go inside your signal strength gets cut in half at the minimum.  800mhz would work wonders in the VI for sprint customers but I don't think that will happen anytime soon if ever.

Oh, I see. I am not familiar with building codes there. I do visit each year for vacation though!

That's not the issue, the problem in the VI is that due to strict building codes most homes are concrete fortresses since there will always be a constant threat of hurricanes.

FYI: Historically our building codes have been all the opposite; quite lenient. For example, only after Hurricane Marilyn (1995) when the codes were reformed did it become a requirement to use screws instead of nails to secure galvanized roofing. At the same time it became required to use appropriate anchors to secure the roof to the home. That was part of the reason you saw so many whole roofs blown off during Marilyn!

Regardless of the building codes, masonry is an obvious and excellent material for the tropical, high humidity and hurricane prone part of the world we live in.

Thankfully they were quick to mandate the building codes and most homes that got new roofs (since most masonry structures remained, albeit roofless) after Marilyn were mandated to follow them.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

FYI: Historically our building codes have been all the opposite; quite lenient. For example, only after Hurricane Marilyn (1995) when the codes were reformed did it become a requirement to use screws instead of nails to secure galvanized roofing. At the same time it became required to use appropriate anchors to secure the roof to the home. That was part of the reason you saw so many whole roofs blown off during Marilyn!

Regardless of the building codes, masonry is an obvious and excellent material for the tropical, high humidity and hurricane prone part of the world we live in.

Thankfully they were quick to mandate the building codes and most homes that got new roofs (since most masonry structures remained, albeit roofless) after Marilyn were mandated to follow them.

Yes I am familiar with our history and how things changed after hurricane marilyn, I was still living on the island and experienced it first hand(damn those clueless weather people) on the night of Sept.14 into sept. 15th.  My point was simply due to how buildings are constructed, it will lead to significant signal loss regardless of location to the tower.

Yes I am familiar with our history and how things changed after hurricane marilyn, I was still living on the island and experienced it first hand(damn those clueless weather people) on the night of Sept.14 into sept. 15th.  My point was simply due to how buildings are constructed, it will lead to significant signal loss regardless of location to the tower.

Reminds me of NYC. I live in a brownstone in a landmarked area of Brooklyn, NYC. My home is made of brick but then the entire facade is limestone. When I am in the middle of my home I get 1 bar but I have giant windows so if I stand within view of a window, I will get 4 bars or so. 

Well my experience in my home in Puerto Rico before we got LTE, the signal would be all crazy it would vary from 1 bar to full bars in a couple of seconds leaving the phone in the same spot. It would also go to 1x and back to 3g then back to 1x and it would keep doing that the whole day. Also voice calls would often drop and data was just crap. I was like that for almost 2 months. Then one day I wake up, check my phone and ta-daa there was the 4g icon. Now I get solid 4 bars and good 4g speeds in my house.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Since we are all pretty quiet lately I thought I'd share some pics of a tower in the Smith Bay area. I presume it is an AT&T tower...

post-17925-13752357303305_thumb.jpg

How does every one find the coverage around there? Sprint's nearest tower is located at the top of Cassi Hill.

OK!..FROM WHAT I HEAR! LAUNCH IS NEARING!!!...customer service is claiming "we have lte on st thomas"...it shows on their end..so i dunno how soon..usually V I is backwards..lolol...states would say something the shortly after u see what they talkin about

I'll take that, at least it's some type of news

Im checking network.sprint.com for the area code 00802, and it shows 9 data upgrades; I believe it was 8 the last time. Maybe they recently finished NV in St.John.

Its always said 9 upgrades, St. John's 3g nv upgrade was completed the exact same time as St. Thomas back in march.

Its always said 9 upgrades, St. John's 3g nv upgrade was completed the exact same time as St. Thomas back in march.

I thought it was 8, you're probably right; I can't always trust my own memory with small things like this.