Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Not sure... Maybe the app showed wrong signal or they testing... No clue. Haven't connected to 800 since.

Went to a Newark tower this morning, is this a generator from sprint?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Maybe Robert or thenight84 can chime in, but in addition to the other guesses, maybe it's some type of diagnostic equipment that Sprint will use for testing the tower. Maybe it's an old cabinet that they're hauling away?

Or maybe it's there to keep service going through the recent storm damage

No real storm damage in the Newark area and no power outages...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That totally makes no sense but good for them. Might as well have been Ostrander. I'm sure there will be Columbus sites coming up soon since they've slapped up some NV gear. I took some pics with my SLR and shared them in my Dropbox here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ydtlynkzobhva7k/fOe6SYAJuu/Towers

I'll place my bet on the last region to get it and that's far southeast Columbus because I am certain Sprint wants to extend my agony. :)

The tower on 104 is the one that I'm on at home. Can anyone tell by looking at his Dropbox photos if those two smaller cabinets are the new ones for NV? I'm hoping so cause service sucks over here.

I was perusing the "mark sites in progress" thread and it appears that generators are in quite a few of the pictures of the base stations... It would make sense to use them to power the legacy / new equipment while the other equipment is still being installed.  I wonder if that is in fact what they are doing.

As an aside, I was travelling back from OU Wednesday on a work trip and noticed clear as day a Sprint site with new panels being installed.  Does anyone on here live down there?I'd say it was within 5-10 miles of Nelsonville area.

That totally makes no sense but good for them. Might as well have been Ostrander. I'm sure there will be Columbus sites coming up soon since they've slapped up some NV gear. I took some pics with my SLR and shared them in my Dropbox here:

I'll place my bet on the last region to get it and that's far southeast Columbus because I am certain Sprint wants to extend my agony. :)

The tower on 104 is the one that I'm on at home. Can anyone tell by looking at his Dropbox photos if those two smaller cabinets are the new ones for NV? I'm hoping so cause service sucks over here.

Yes, the left two cabinets are the new Samsung cabinets.

Damn, I'm just now seeing these pictures. I had no clue those two sites were that ready.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Damn, I'm just now seeing these pictures. I had no clue those two sites were that ready.

There's several sites that way and have been for at least two weeks. I've not gone hunting for them, these I just see every day. They just jump out at you because of the way they stacked the RRU's and I said to myself, "what is that horrible looking thing dangling off that tower?" All the site's I've seen between Goodale/315 south to 71/270 south look like that. There's work been performed on other Sprint sites that don't look the same but you can tell the new white antenna panel from the dingy old gray ones. Someone posted a pic a few pages back of one of those and said it doesn't appear to be an LTE site. I've seen that kind of work done along 270 from Morse Rd down to site at Main/Brice and also a couple sites along 71 near the fairgrounds.

I'll have to take my SLR and snap some pics of those sites.

AFAIK, you really shouldn't be able to connect to 800 because the PRL doesn't show it available to connect to for this market, unless the latest PRL allows it.

I am almost positive the 2 new prls will work on 8001xa that they recieved

I was in the Dublin-161 area today. Seen a few towers with new Panels and RRH/RRU's. Getting excited for the future. Couldn't see base of tower for new cabinets and speedtest didn't result in increased speeds.

• Like 1

There was a work crew at the Barks Rd. tower in Marion for a couple of days last week. I am not sure what they were doing since they already had the new Samsung boxes installed on the ground and it looked like the rru's were already installed. But they had guys on the tower and the ropes going up to the top like they were installing more rru's. I hope the 800 band gets turned on soon as I am tired of getting yelled at for poor service.

I really think that something is wrong. That's why we have seen all the strange behavior lately. And that's also why all these towers are upgraded hardware-wise, but no speed increases data-wise.

I just hope they figure something out soon.

I really think that something is wrong. That's why we have seen all the strange behavior lately. And that's also why all these towers are upgraded hardware-wise, but no speed increases data-wise.

I just hope they figure something out soon.

When the backhaul comes so will the increase in speed. There are zero sites with the ethernet backhaul to date in the Columbus market. There are sites live with the equipment up and running however but again with the same pipe to push data to and from the tower, speed will be relatively unaffected

When the backhaul comes so will the increase in speed. There are zero sites with the ethernet backhaul to date in the Columbus market. There are sites live with the equipment up and running however but again with the same pipe to push data to and from the tower, speed will be relatively unaffected

I wonder why all the telecoms around here are so behind on their infrastructure.

I wonder why all the telecoms around here are so behind on their infrastructure.

Im not sure. I am fairly certain that of the big 4 carriers sprint is pretty far behind on their backhaul. We need fiber and lots more of it. Some 370 of the 398 towers in columbus need fiber ran to them. The rest will be microwave type backhauls.

so if 370 of 398 need upgraded, that means they are 7% complete right?

Ill have to double check but to my knowledge there has been zero ethernet run to any of the columbus sites. The difference is roughly 30 sites will have a microwave backhaul and not a direct connection. There is a good image in a thread on backhaul that shows conduit run to the cabinents marked fiber, and conduit coming from the ground with a pull string just waiting for the fiber to come and be pulled thru. 

• Like 1

so if 370 of 398 need upgraded, that means they are 7% complete right?

Ill have to double check but to my knowledge there has been zero ethernet run to any of the columbus sites. The difference is roughly 30 sites will have a microwave backhaul and not a direct connection. There is a good image in a thread on backhaul that shows conduit run to the cabinents marked fiber, and conduit coming from the ground with a pull string just waiting for the fiber to come and be pulled thru.
like this in Toledo ? Posted Image

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Im not sure. I am fairly certain that of the big 4 carriers sprint is pretty far behind on their backhaul. We need fiber and lots more of it. Some 370 of the 398 towers in columbus need fiber ran to them. The rest will be microwave type backhauls.

I was talking more about the local companies handling the fiber like AT&T and Time Warner. Some of these that I've seen, they haven't even run fiber down the road yet and they're starting several blocks away before they can run from the driveway to the tower. But that's just the one I've seen in Gahanna.

I wonder if the one on Lancaster Ave is done yet. I saw them run fiber close to the cabinets but don't know if they ran from the junction box type thing to the cabinets yet. Don't even know if new cabinets are there, but I know the antennas haven't been changed.