Network Vision/LTE - Columbus Market

abrcrmdl23

Im just guessing on angles based on sunlight. Looks like an evening pic with the sun towards the back right. So the dish antenna must be the one pointed at basil western site. However I'm curious how kuch better you would be from that location to aim at the site to your south? I live 2 miles east of meijer and when the site to your south was fired up i could connect to it most of the time. The site by slate run park. Forgot the name of the road.

Gave up on editing my other response. Sir you are the nerd king of all nerds on this board! Congrats on the external antenna. Kick ass!!

The one reason I may keep my everything account and have just a mifi and cancel time warner. That thing is sexy.

xxxsprint_antenna1004.jpg

The dish is the LTE antenna? what's the other antenna used for? Just curious?

The second antenna is for something many of you have never heard of since it is a dying technology.  Not too different then CB radios that once flooded the country and which no truck driver would do without!

It is called different things in different parts of the country.  Here in Ohio, we call it "an over-the-air TV antenna."   It works like this - you point it towards the source of the signal and connect it with RG-6 cable to your TV and you see different channels in HD on your TV.  Mostly channels like NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX, CW, etc.  You may also pick of small, local channels that broadcast in analog still, but those are mostly crap stations.

Reason I had to go with Sprint Zing is we have no cable source out here for TV (and hence, no accompanying Internet Service).

Yes, it is true -- I only get about 10 channels of TV.  Most of you will only watch about 10 channels, but you will pay for 100+ up to 300+.

I explained what that antenna was in my link.  CLICK HERE and make sure you read the captions to the pictures.

LOL - sorry for joking with you!  How old are you?  Do you not know about broadcast TV signals?

The second antenna is for something many of you have never heard of since it is a dying technology.  Not too different then CB radios that once flooded the country and which no truck driver would do without!

It is called different things in different parts of the country.  Here in Ohio, we call it "an over-the-air TV antenna."   It works like this - you point it towards the source of the signal and connect it with RG-6 cable to your TV and you see different channels in HD on your TV.  Mostly channels like NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX, CW, etc.  You may also pick of small, local channels that broadcast in analog still, but those are mostly crap stations.

Reason I had to go with Sprint Zing is we have no cable source out here for TV (and hence, no accompanying Internet Service).

Yes, it is true -- I only get about 10 channels of TV.  Most of you will only watch about 10 channels, but you will pay for 100+ up to 300+.

I explained what that antenna was in my link.  CLICK HERE and make sure you read the captions to the pictures.

LOL - sorry for joking with you!  How old are you?  Do you not know about broadcast TV signals?

I'm 42 and use a cheap indoor antenna in place of exorbitant Time Warner. Works ok for me. I just don't recall either of those looking like a TV antenna. Seen plenty in my day. When I was a youngin and lived in Indianapolis, my dad put one in our attic and we could pick up WBNS from the east side of Indy. Big duh on the caption...

I'm 42 and use a cheap indoor antenna in place of exorbitant Time Warner. Works ok for me. I just don't recall either of those looking like a TV antenna. Seen plenty in my day. When I was a youngin and lived in Indianapolis, my dad put one in our attic and we could pick up WBNS from the east side of Indy. Big duh on the caption...

There are a lot of youngsters who have no idea what an outdoor (or even indoor antenna) is .... plus, you know I was joking with you right?  They have no idea what a CB radio is; vinyl records; cassette tapes; pay phones; answering machines; etc.

Did you see the YouTube video last week where they put a punch of tweenies in front a old-fashioned typewriter and asked them to operate it?  It was hilarious!

But back to another point you were making on here: It is 1.2 miles to the tower I am pointed at - so why would you believe the signal would be better pointed south possibly?

Here is another picture I posted showing my location relative to the Sprint towers in my area.  My home and the tower I am pointed at are in the read circle.

I am pointed at the one across from Kingy's Pizza.  It is next to Kessler's Heating and Cooling.

Should I be pointed somewhere else?

sprint_1.jpg
Edited by KnarfOH

As a newbie, I am confused about some of the references to signals and towers.  Right now I am getting B25 though several days ago I got B26 though that only lasted briefly.  Someone suggested they may have been running tests, etc. and that is why I only received the signal for such a short time.

I also see everyone talking about B41.  

Question - is there some reference to the towers in my area that I could consult that will give me towers and the signals they are transmitting on?  For example, if I knew a tower transmitting B41 in my area, I might point my omni-directional antenna in that direction to check the results.

Just curious!

Also, do I understand a group of enthusiasts from this board meet up regularly to discuss topics in person?  

Edited by KnarfOH

Question - is there some reference to the towers in my area that I could consult that will give me towers and the signals they are transmitting on? For example, if I knew a tower transmitting B41 in my area, I might point my omni-directional antenna in that direction to check the results.

Just curious!

Yes we have very detailed maps of Columbus for what's transmitting what. For B25 - LTE 1900 only requires being a standard sponsor of S4GRU. For B26 - LTE 800 and B41 - LTE 2600 it requires being a Premier Sponsor.

• Like 2

Yes we have very detailed maps of Columbus for what's transmitting what. For B25 - LTE 1900 only requires being a standard sponsor of S4GRU. For B26 - LTE 800 and B41 - LTE 2600 it requires being a Premier Sponsor.

But feel free to post any b26/b41 you find.... Scp shots are open season!

Speedtest on Tower located on 9793 Basil Western Rd, Canal Winchester, OH 43110.

IPAD AIR and Sprint Zing Hotspot utilized for test purposes.

Across from Kingy's Pizza.  TOOK TODAY - IF YOU ARE IN COLUMBUS AREA - YOU KNOW IT IS RAINING STEADILY!  August 31, 2014

Attachment%202sprnt.jpg

Attachment%201sprint.jpg

Edited by KnarfOH
  • Like 1

That is about the space I do tests from. 

I was suggesting you try the tower on Alspach Rd (official address is Cedar Hill Rd but the drive through the field to the tower is on Alspach). The north sector on that tower seems to bounce over the hills into this area real well. I live a finger width right of the tower by Kingy's (on your map) literally across the field next to Kingy's and when Basil Western was still legacy, I could pick up Alspach pretty well. They're using the north sector of Alspach to cover all of southern Canal Winchester to make up for sites that do not exist. Nextel used to be on the water tower on Gender Rd and they should have made that a Nextel conversion site and filled in a huge hole. From a capacity stand point, it is probably less busy than the one by Kingy's.

As for band 41, without getting into trouble (me), if you know what the clear sites look like or where they are, you should be able to hit the closest one with ease and pull 45+ mbit. I could see Ed Schleppi's tower flashing from your road. I think his name was Ed, he's definitely a Schleppi. That's his last name, I can't answer whether he's a schlep or not, playing on old words.

Scl?

What the crap, u cheap OL #@%^*+#

Lol. That's my Sprint G2 wiped so i can put my wife on it. I didnt want to sign in my google account and download all my apps to get a band 26 reading. You of all people got the nerve and the audacity to call me cheap?!?

• Like 7

What are our NV complete stats as of right now?

Excited to hear about the Note 4 tomorrow.... Anyone else thinking about getting it?

How about you uh..... Check those lovely stats pages we created for y'all. ;)

• Like 1

Not able to compete a call on campus but have full bar lte. I guess work is being done.

dfa9e5cd96048f3d7d0bd759a4582d6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not able to compete a call on campus but have full bar lte. I guess work is being done.

dfa9e5cd96048f3d7d0bd759a4582d6a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecsfb. The site you're getting LTE from needs the ecsfb update. A lot of sites that were recently updated to LTE need that.
  • Like 1