HTC rumoured to release a 5" phone with 1080p screen

themuffinman

http://www.digitimes...20806PD210.html

I came across this article a few minutes ago while I had some down time at the office. If this is true, I really hope that HTC doesn't find some magical way to screw this up and lose even more ground to samsung. I was really hoping for a 1080p galaxy note 2 but it looks like htc may fill my personal void. I can deal with it not having a replaceable battery but it better have an sd card slot.

Looks like engadget just reported something similar but more specifically for verizon.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/06/rumored-htc-verizon-phablet-may-land-soon/

That would be cool. Perfect size. I think anything bigger than 5 inch screen wouldn't fit in my pocket with case with ease.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

With the same thinness of the evo/one x and more surface area I am sure they could cram at least a 2400mah to 2800mah battery in there. I think this phablet is going to a be a beast. I really hope they step it up with features because the note is one hell of a smartphone.

If a phone with a 5" screen is a phablet, then my Nexus 7 with GrooVe IP and Google Voice integration must be an absolutely phabulet.

AJ

5 inches is still a phone in my book. It's only .3 bigger than the EVO and isn't the S3 a 4.8?

Yes, the S3 is 4.8

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

I doubt that would be the case. There are already a few different 5in phablets out there. Plus if any company were suing for size it would have started long ago, as almost all companies follow same form factor in size at any given time.

And I don't thing Samsung would even want to get into a legal spat with another company in the same ecosystem being Android.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

5 inches is still a phone in my book. It's only .3 bigger than the EVO and isn't the S3 a 4.8?

The note(which is considered a phablet) is 5.3" which is only .3 inches more than this so at what point do you consider a phone to be a phablet?

If a phone with a 5" screen is a phablet, then my Nexus 7 with GrooVe IP and Google Voice integration must be an absolutely phabulet.

AJ

AARRRGGGHHHH that word.

The day that BGR started using that phrase i cringed. Now everyone is using it. They was the first to use that term and they also questioned as to why anyone would want such a beast. I guess the millions sold told them why. The way i see it, the evolution of the mobile phone has jumped from just being a small talking device to being a mini computer, allowing one to do so many things that a regular mobile phone ever wish it could do. naturally one wants to do and see more on their device thus bigger screen sizes throughout the years. Even Apple is starting to see the light of bigger screens. But call it what it is a hybrid a mini tablet, but phablet. yuck But alas, that word will eventually end up in Websters dictionary.

As for the sizes in general, the Galaxy S3 is 4.8, (pretty big compared to phones a few years back) the Note is 5.3, just about right for a mini tablet and the new Note will be 5.8 (getting close to being too big, but isn't fatter, so still okay), But regardless of those three, a Nexus 7, or any of the other 7" tablets are just that mini tablets themselves. Anything over 7 is a tablet.

maybe one day Apple will make a 10"+ tablet and call it a maxiPad and patent that name as well.

I can see myself walking around with 5" mini tablet/hybrid and still be able to use one hand and one that doubles as a phone. Walking with a 7-8 inch tablet is pushing it but need two hands and 9" and above simply is too distracting to walk with as well as being too big. They are good while stationary but I'm too mobile.

TS

• Like 1