Network Vision/LTE - Philadelphia Metro Market (including Lehigh Valley/Reading)

HappyHappy

I live right near that homedepot on Baltimore pike a d I though I saw a guy working on the tower on Thursday and it looked like he was installing some fiber so maybe that's what most of these towers in my area need but I had my lte off on my phone so ill confirm the lte there today

So I took a screen shot but don't know how to upload it. But, 4G CAME ON! First time I've seen it. It was in Southwest Center City around 10am. I drove a few miles and it went back to 3G but it was still up for a bit! It seemed like the network didn't know how to react at first. It was loading web pages but eventually kicked in and moved faster.

So I took a screen shot but don't know how to upload it. But, 4G CAME ON! First time I've seen it. It was in Southwest Center City around 10am. I drove a few miles and it went back to 3G but it was still up for a bit! It seemed like the network didn't know how to react at first. It was loading web pages but eventually kicked in and moved faster.

You may be picking up the tower atop the building at 17th and JFK with LTE . I live at 16th and Fitzwater and have been getting a weak LTE signal in and out for the past few days only if I'm in direct sight of that building. Like on my roof.

My speed tests for LTE have been good in spots, other areas not so good at all. Am I correct in assuming that the speeds will be much faster as coverage gets better?

Maybe, but not necessarily. LTE is not a particularly robust airlink; speeds are heavily dependent upon signal strength and quality. So, speeds will be variable from place to place.

Regardless, please do not run too many speed tests. Each one consumes several dozen MBs and just adds to network congestion. Once Network Vision is complete, you will have 5-10 Mbps LTE, and where LTE falls off, you will have 1-2 Mbps eHRPD/EV-DO, both of which are fast enough for anything that you legitimately need to do on a handset.

AJ

In Drexel Hill next to Garret Rd. Last night when I got in bed, I looked at my phone and saw 4G LTE on, I was shocked and excited, I thought it had actually been active but until this morning it went back to 3G and the speeds have slightly improved. I think it was a testing phrase last night because sometimes the network was up and down. I was playing a video on YouTube and it was smooth and all on HD but was flickering a bit. Then I couldn't play another YouTube video after that because there was a network error. I tested the speeds and it had ups and downs from 8mbps - 13mbps but I saw it reach up to 30mbps but it didn't stop there. Here is last night's screenshot on my GS3.

Edited by Kurosaki

I live right near that homedepot on Baltimore pike a d I though I saw a guy working on the tower on Thursday and it looked like he was installing some fiber so maybe that's what most of these towers in my area need but I had my lte off on my phone so ill confirm the lte there today

I saw some Verizon trucks that day. It was like 5 of them or so all over from Garrett rd, Baltimore pike and Springfield .

Since HappyHappy ignored previous warnings, he has been banned. He will no longer be annoying this thread. It has already come to pass just in the past 30-45 days that his doomsday predictions about LTE not coming to Philly were proven wrong. It happened just as S4GRU said in response to his comments.

Additionally, members who direct their comments at other members and find people to single out and argue with personally will be banned. No one wants to read that garbage. We are happy to grab our torches and chase the trolls back under their bridges around here. It is one of the advantages of running a non commercial site.

Robert via Nexus 7 with Tapatalk HD

• Like 9

Maybe someone can answer this for me. I have the Note 2. My network mode is set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. When set to automatic I see no difference.

Based on network mode, why do I have to toggle airplane mode to pick up any 4G?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe someone can answer this for me. I have the Note 2. My network mode is set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. When set to automatic I see no difference.

Based on network mode, why do I have to toggle airplane mode to pick up any 4G?

Airplane mode just resets the antennas to force the phone to connect to 4g, you would usually have the same effect if you reset the phone, or update the prl.

Your guess is as good as anyone elses at this point but I would have to believe it is very soon.

The anticipation is killing me. I do a lot of traveling to areas where LTE is already deployed and the speeds are amazing, when I get back to Allentown it just KILLS. Can't load youtube or pandora and internet pages take forever to load

The anticipation is killing me. I do a lot of traveling to areas where LTE is already deployed and the speeds are amazing, when I get back to Allentown it just KILLS. Can't load youtube or pandora and internet pages take forever to load

I asked the same question in this thread about my neighborhood, I don't feel like going back and looking, but I believe it was Robert who said the wait will be worth it. It 100% was worth it. I'm assuming you have used LTE in those areas so this is nothing new, but it is amazing what a difference there is, it feels like a new phone. I have been thoroughly surprised and impressed on how good both the coverage and quality is in this area, especially at such an early stage. I'm sorry to those who don't have it yet, I don't mean to sound like I'm rubbing it in, I just wanted to reiterate that the wait is absolutely worth the final product.

• Like 2

Any ideas when Allentown area will start seeing LTE? The wait is killing me!

I can't wait. I live in the western part of the Valley and we don't have cable or DSL available at our house. (Cable stops 1/2 mile down the road, and we live too far from the Verizon central office for DSL). We have a 3G mobile hotspot which is mediocre at best for our internet connection. I can't wait for the day when LTE arrives...I will go to the store that day and buy a new hotspot!

DANG BASEMENT!!!!!! Medium strength signal all along Spruce Street and low strength along Walnut between around 48th heading west. Signal is too weak to hit my basement on Walnut but I got near perfect EVDO-A/eHRPD.....

And before anyone asks, I uninstalled Sensorly because it sucks down my battery on my Photon Q (95 minutes to go from 100 to 25 percent isn't normal and I didn't touch it or have anything else running).

Airplane mode just resets the antennas to force the phone to connect to 4g, you would usually have the same effect if you reset the phone, or update the prl.

So in order to get LTE I'm going to have to always either toggle airplane mode or power of the entire phone? That makes no sense to me.

So in order to get LTE I'm going to have to always either toggle airplane mode or power of the entire phone? That makes no sense to me.

No, you shouldn't have to once the network really gets going and the 4g signal is stronger and more consistent, as far as I know. I don't know anything about the technicals of the phones or the network, so someone else here is probably better suited to answer why that is.

• Like 1

No, you shouldn't have to once the network really gets going and the 4g signal is stronger and more consistent, as far as I know. I don't know anything about the technicals of the phones or the network, so someone else here is probably better suited to answer why that is.

Your phone will eventually connect to LTE all on its own, no need to toggle airplane mode. Also, no need to power cycle the phone, airplane mode is enough.

The reason it seems your phone is not connecting to LTE is due to the scan cycle of the phone. When not connected to LTE, your phone will occasionally scan for LTE every 5 to 30 minutes depending on which phone you have. If you are at the beginning of the cycle, and move into LTE coverage, it could take up to 30 minutes for your phone to connect simply because its not looking for LTE. Cycling airplane mode resets the radios, and forces a new scan cycle, which allows the phone to discover LTE faster than if you just let it sit.

As LTE coverage grows, and you don't move in and out of coverage as much, this wont be necessary (unless you have an EVO LTE in Baton Rouge... Digi :P. )

• Like 2