Is the HTC LTE phone a waste? Let me explain.

chong67

Do you all think this LTE phone is a waste?

Most of us cant get to use the LTE speed until the end of the year.

And then there are more cities that doesnt have LTE until next year.

OK, think of the last update of 3D phone to LTE phone. That is like 7 months.

So in another 7 months, there will be another HTC phone coming out.

Unless you measure the success of this LTE phone by 3G and Wifi speed.

You know what I mean?

I understand your logic but here's the way I justified buying the phone.

First, I never used WIMAX to begin with, after 20 min your battery was down 50 percent.

Second, if I used my OG EVO for more than 30 min my battery was down 50 percent no matter the ROM

Third, the EVO LTE even without the LTE part is a huge leap spec wise from the OG EVO.. better screen, battery, looks, feel, etc. In every way to me it was a better phone.

And lastly and maybe most important. The jump from 2 years ago to today is huge hardware wise. I don't see that happening in huge leaps in the next year, with the exception of quad core phones that support LTE. I could be very wrong but I don't think so. Hardware has caught technology for the most part. Screens larger than 4 inches has been around for over 2 years now. Dual cores have been here for over a year at least. Storage is there whenever a manufacturer wants to take advantage of it. Does anyone else see something on the horizon I'm missing that you would be waiting for?

I'll wait for the 800MHZ radios that are coming in 2 years for the next EVO3LTE

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Do you all think this LTE phone is a waste?

Most of us cant get to use the LTE speed until the end of the year.

And then there are more cities that doesnt have LTE until next year.

OK' date=' think of the last update of 3D phone to LTE phone. That is like 7 months.

So in another 7 months, there will be another HTC phone coming out.

Unless you measure the success of this LTE phone by 3G and Wifi speed.

You know what I mean?[/quote']

Not everyone has WiMax. Not everyone upgrades every year. Some people would rather get on the LTE network first, and deal with bugs.

Just because it doesn't work for you, doesn't mean that it is universally bad. People were screaming for LTE phones, they were screaming for unblocking completed towers and now some are screaming because in hindsight it was not a great idea. No pleasing some people.

There are over 100 million POPs what are covered by Sprint's 3G network and not WiMax, most of them were probably happy as can be to have a LTE phone. Then think of all the ranting hatred that would be directed towards Sprint if they sold WiMax flagship phones this summer.

Also, it was a year from 3D to evo LTE and it will be another year until we see the next HTC flagship.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

• Like 2

This is the same logic that caused folks to be so negative of the EVO 3D because they figured that they would never use the 3D function. This is faulty logic. You need to look at all the features of the phone, the cost and then compare it to other phones that you may buy and then choose the one that fits your needs. Also by your logic there is not a LTE Sprint phone that would be worth it for you. So either you are going with a non-LTE phone or changing carriers.

The difference in battery life alone is worth an upgrade for most folks. And only 70 cities of Sprint's 500+ cities has WiMax. The rest of us in these 430+ cities would like a new awesome device, since we are stuck waiting for LTE in 3G anyway.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

The contract-subsidy model is broken. But it is reality. So, keep this in mind:

• Every month, you are paying ~$15 of your wireless bill toward your subsidy.
  • Every month that you are eligible for a fully subsidized upgrade but do not take advantage is ~$15 paid with no benefit to you.
  • Every month that you further postpone upgrading just pushes back your subsequent upgrade date by another month.

My recommendation is to do as Robert has done. Get married and have several children so that you can use their fully subsidized upgrades, staggered about one every six months.

:P

AJ

• Like 9

The difference in battery life alone is worth an upgrade for most folks. And only 70 cities of Sprint's 500+ cities has WiMax. The rest of us in these 430+ cities would like a new awesome device, since we are stuck waiting for LTE in 3G anyway.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

Battery life is ridiculous on this phone, many og evo owners and even 3d owners would definitely be able to appreciate that not to mention how beautiful the screen/resolution is.

• Like 5

The contract-subsidy model is broken. But it is reality. So, keep this in mind:

• Every month, you are paying ~$15 of your wireless bill toward your subsidy.
  • Every month that you are eligible for a fully subsidized upgrade but do not take advantage is ~$15 paid with no benefit to you.
  • Every month that you further postpone upgrading just pushes back your subsequent upgrade date by another month.

My recommendation is to do as Robert has done. Get married and have several children so that you can use their fully subsidized upgrades, staggered about one every six months.

:P

AJ

The problem with this strategy is that eventually the wife and kids start demanding to use the upgrades on themselves! What's up with that!?

• Like 1

Sorry I should not single out the HTC LTE phone, but just any LTE phone.

In term of importance(not impotence :o ), which is better for you (choose one):

* Bigger screen

* Better battery life

* Thinner phone

* Better speed (on 3G vs 4G and LTE is only for lucky few as of now)

I choose better speed.

For those that dont see LTE deployment until next year, this model of HTC LTE and S3 phone now will be an after life as another newer LTE phone will be out.

The problem with this strategy is that eventually the wife and kids start demanding to use the upgrades on themselves! What's up with that!?

Its called "conditioning". You condition them about how wonderful your current device is so they want it to be handed down to them. Works like a charm. And they get a new device every six months or so too.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 5

Its called "conditioning". You condition them about how wonderful your current device is so they want it to be handed down to them. Works like a charm. And they get a new device every six months or so too.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

This is GENIUS!!!!

Sorry I should not single out the HTC LTE phone, but just any LTE phone.

In term of importance(not impotence :o ), which is better for you (choose one):

* Bigger screen

* Better battery life

* Thinner phone

* Better speed (on 3G vs 4G and LTE is only for lucky few as of now)

I choose better speed.

For those that dont see LTE deployment until next year, this model of HTC LTE and S3 phone now will be an after life as another newer LTE phone will be out.

For me, it's nice big screen to type on, otherwise I need a keyboard combined with a decent processor that has no issues getting 18+ hours on one charge. Network speed is kinda relative to a point. If it gets 1.5 megabits, thats great! If it gets 3.0...awesome! If it gets 33 down...errr...what's the point? it's a phone. It's not like you are streaming 2 HD movies to two different rooms while the kids are playing xbox live. I don't get my rocks off like some folks do mashing the speed test button over and over again watching it hit 20+ megabits. I probably won't notice the quarter of a second less it takes for that youtube video to start.

Now would I mind some LTE about right now...hell yeah... the 3G backhaul in my area is absolutely horrible. One of the worse and has been for years. 1X is faster than 3G in my location right now, but at least I can force roam over to VZW 3G.

Do I regret buying the EVO LTE early? Nope, not all. I love the phone and display. I also think it's too thin. My hands are too large for it and I kept tapping on the edge of the screen just holding it. It stays in the otterbox for this main reason. The phone size was designed with kids and female hand sizes in mind.

• Like 3

Its called "conditioning". You condition them about how wonderful your current device is so they want it to be handed down to them. Works like a charm.

When it comes time to take your wife's upgrade, just give her your old phone, wave your hand, and tell her, "My old Epic will do fine."

AJ

• Like 3