Network Vision/LTE - San Antonio market

flyer8493

I would agree if I were using a device that supported it but my old nexus 5 does not.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Even if your device does not support CA, you will still see a substantial increase in performance as it would double capacity. With CA device you will see 2x the peak speeds on top of that.

Yeah, I agree since having an additional carrier (2xb41) will give you a boost in speeds.  I just did a speed test with Tmobile and I got 13.79/16.37 with a 60ms ping here at the office vs 3.86/0.74 with a 158ms ping on Sprint.  I sure hope they fix this tower soon.

• 4 months later...

Just saw a bleep of the 3rd band 41 carrier in San Antonio. This is the first time I see it and it only shows up in my logs once.

if you have a CA enabled device you gotta turn off CA since the 3rd carrier has more often not been CA disabled. 

Also engineering screen with EARFCN and GCI endings will help!

The GCI ending was 08, so it was the third sector and the signal strength was -113, so I don't understand why it's constantly bouncing through eHRPD, B25 and 1x VZW roaming. Even B25 at that strength has given me 1mbps up and down, but I guess it helps this city is covered with 2 B25 carriers. B26 was completely useless so I just turned that off. Anyways, voice is still great and so are texts and I have wifi so no real issues here.

The GCI ending was 08, so it was the third sector and the signal strength was -113, so I don't understand why it's constantly bouncing through eHRPD, B25 and 1x VZW roaming. Even B25 at that strength has given me 1mbps up and down, but I guess it helps this city is covered with 2 B25 carriers. B26 was completely useless so I just turned that off. Anyways, voice is still great and so are texts and I have wifi so no real issues here.

GCI ending was 08? I have not seen that GCI number on any Ericsson/Nokia site. Are you positive that's correct? That would go against the expectation of the 41/42/43 endings for B41 third carrier. Also, how do you figure 08 is the Gamma sector?

Do we know if ALU and Nokia are going to share the same sector for B41^3?

We probably need a lot of pic of the third carrier even if it is a camera taking pic of the screen.

ALU is Nokia. It'll be the same.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

GCI ending was 08? I have not seen that GCI number on any Ericsson/Nokia site. Are you positive that's correct? That would go against the expectation of the 41/42/43 endings for B41 third carrier. Also, how do you figure 08 is the Gamma sector?

Right, I forgot I'm not in a Samsung market anymore. I will have to do a doubletake on that to verify.

1270  8/3/2016 20:22 -5 8/4/2016 13:04 -5 0 0 0   Sprint B41³  310120  083DE608  382 12826 0  -113

So here is the entry in the SCP site log.  Maybe it's a mistake.

1270  8/3/2016 20:22 -5 8/4/2016 13:04 -5 0 0 0   Sprint B41³  310120  083DE608  382 12826 0  -113

So here is the entry in the SCP site log.  Maybe it's a mistake.

Very odd. Hopefully you are able to connect again so we can figure out what is going on.

Well I haven't seen that 3rd carrier again and I'm running around town with CA disabled.  Anyways, is it me or does San Antonio seem to show less LTE+ areas than it used to in the Sprint coverage maps?  I know they aren't accurate but that's very odd.

Well I haven't seen that 3rd carrier again and I'm running around town with CA disabled. Anyways, is it me or does San Antonio seem to show less LTE+ areas than it used to in the Sprint coverage maps? I know they aren't accurate but that's very odd.

Yeah, I haven't seen it either. I was around the southwest side near Old Pearsall Rd. and only picked up Clearwire B41.

Its amazing how loosely spaced the towers are on the south side. B41 will never work with the current spacing. I know that part of town isn't as populated as the north side, but the speeds are too slow on B25/B26 as it stands today. B25 second carrier turned out to only be a bandaid. There are a few Sprint B41 areas east past Palo Alto college, but no 3rd carrier from what I saw.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what causes SCP to identify the Sprint band with asterisks in the logs?

It's seeing a signal that is being reported as Sprint, but it's not sure. Either a Clear site, or something is wrong with the GCI or PLMN being displayed. A screenshot would help diagnose. 

This was most commonly seen as Clear sites were being converted to B41. Once PLMN reading was stabilized on SCP, it was then changed to display Clear B41. 

• 4 months later...

If OpenSignal is reliable at locating sites then I believe I may have found a new cell site around Sulphur Springs Rd and Foster Rd in southeast San Antonio. It might explain why when I first moved into my house my phone was constantly roaming on VZW or spend a lot of time in 1x800. Now I'm on LTE 90 percent of the time. I'll try to confirm one of these days. The site appears to be a full B25/26/41 build colocated with another vendor and not in the Original NV build or even part of the Clear and Nextel sites.

• Like 1

If OpenSignal is reliable at locating sites then I believe I may have found a new cell site around Sulphur Springs Rd and Foster Rd in southeast San Antonio. It might explain why when I first moved into my house my phone was constantly roaming on VZW or spend a lot of time in 1x800. Now I'm on LTE 90 percent of the time. I'll try to confirm one of these days. The site appears to be a full B25/26/41 build colocated with another vendor and not in the Original NV build or even part of the Clear and Nextel sites.

Please do. 

Nice to see them expanding the network south of downtown. Sprint has very poor network density in South San Antonio. Towers offer adequate outdoor coverage for the most part, but because of how spread out their towers are they are often overloaded and LTE is a hit or miss indoors.

Palo Alto College and TAMU-SA are very poor Sprint areas. They should consider deploying small cells at those colleges.

• 1 month later...

What is the reason for Sprint requesting permits for microwave radios at existing sites?  Will they be using this for backhaul to small cells or backhaul to the site?  The address cited in the permit is 11920 IH 10 W.  Couldn't really locate it in Google Maps so I'm not sure if this is a NV complete site, which should have fiber.

What is the reason for Sprint requesting permits for microwave radios at existing sites? Will they be using this for backhaul to small cells or backhaul to the site? The address cited in the permit is 11920 IH 10 W. Couldn't really locate it in Google Maps so I'm not sure if this is a NV complete site, which should have fiber.

The tower you are probably referring to is located on Fredericksburg. You can actually see it from the freeway.

The microwave will likely be used to feed upcoming small cells. The location of this microwave actually makes sense when you look at the nearby topography and the prominence of the tower itself.

This is the location of the tower.

A822NjYh.jpg