Network Vision/LTE - Pittsburgh Market

Bar1203

Just wanted to chime in on the other end, Latrobe, Pa and surrounding areas are seeing sporadic 4G now. EHRPD is everywhere and I am mapping daily with Sensorly! Ive seen it in the city of latrobe and derry area.

WOW thats crazy!!!!! i just look at Sensorly it looks like they are going right down RT 30 from Latrobe to Greensburg then going to Irwin which is where im at,im hella jealous right now u guys got LTE..tho this is very very good...keep me posted love hearing about new coverage around me!!

i too also notice EHRPD is everywhere....i see u have a note 2 also...did the phone pick up the LTE on its own or did u have to do sumthing to make it look for the LTE coverage?

WOW thats crazy!!!!! i just look at Sensorly it looks like they are going right down RT 30 from Latrobe to Greensburg then going to Irwin which is where im at,im hella jealous right now u guys got LTE..tho this is very very good...keep me posted love hearing about new coverage around me!!

i too also notice EHRPD is everywhere....i see u have a note 2 also...did the phone pick up the LTE on its own or did u have to do sumthing to make it look for the LTE coverage?

All I did was turn on cdma/lte. It did the rest on its own!

Looks like they are trying to get as much done before the end of summer

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Looks like they are trying to get as much done before the end of summer

GOOD!!! i hope they cover alot of area....waited a long time for wimax not to show up...they are doing much much better with the rollout of LTE

.waited a long time for wimax not to show up...they are doing much much better with the rollout of LTE

You are not making an equal comparison for Clearwire deployed WiMAX, not Sprint.

I went to the sprint store the other day, and there were lots of dissatisfied customers asking where the LTE they were promises was. The guy replied with "LTE should be in your area (Cranberry township) by mid July".. When I was at Sprint in January when I picked up my iPhone, I was told that I would have LTE by the end of May. It's now the end if May and I still don't have LTE. I could go back there in mid July and they'll tell me that LTE will be available in your area by early September at the rate they're rolling the new network out. Anyways, since I caught the blip of LTE on the 228 Franklin road intersection, I have gone back several more times and did not pick up the signal again. So I guess I just got extremely lucky. If anyone has more legitimate info on whenLTE will be rolled out to my neck of the woods, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

It's coming, don't worry. Before the end of the year you will be very happy.

Biggest lesson in tech is, don't buy based on what's coming, either wait, or buy with the expectation of what is currently available.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

It's coming, don't worry. Before the end of the year you will be very happy.

Biggest lesson in tech is, don't buy based on what's coming, either wait, or buy with the expectation of what is currently available.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

just the fact that you got a blip of LTE is good that can mean that the tower is done and may be just a matter of the new fiber is holding up turning on the LTE

It's 420 somewhere

More new LTE in the latrobe area.  It is spreading by the 981 interchange there by CarClo plastics.  I am also seeing a much stronger signal on rt 30 and by the airport at the 4 way there.  So sprint is DEFINITELY building out my way!

More new LTE in the latrobe area. It is spreading by the 981 interchange there by CarClo plastics. I am also seeing a much stronger signal on rt 30 and by the airport at the 4 way there. So sprint is DEFINITELY building out my way!

That's good to see what kind of speeds are you getting out of it

It's 420 somewhere

I am seeing 18 down 5 up to as little as 3 down and 3 up. So it varies. But the average of 10 down and 5 up I would say.

that's some good speeds glad to see some lte now I want some lol

I am seeing 18 down 5 up to as little as 3 down and 3 up. So it varies. But the average of 10 down and 5 up I would say.

nice!!...wonder how long for Irwin?!?!

how long does it take for the sensorly

map to get update with new coverage from a user?

It takes a day or two. I am up to about 5000 data points bc I let it daily map it. It is so nice and fast. Generally as mentioned before, they usually work outward in, so it might be a while they still have to hit greensburg too. Come on out to latrobe sometime and give it a try lol.

It takes a day or two. I am up to about 5000 data points bc I let it daily map it. It is so nice and fast. Generally as mentioned before, they usually work outward in, so it might be a while they still have to hit greensburg too. Come on out to latrobe sometime and give it a try lol.

Just curious, how do you check to see how many data points that you've mapped?

Thanks

You can see it in the app. They have a little blurb at the bottom that says you have collected x data points and done x speed tests.

I see it now, thank you! It says I have 19311 in the last 30 days.

I'm a recent Sprint subscriber, just switched from T-Mobile last week. Long story short, I didn't do my research and am so far disappointed by Sprint's data coverage (or lack thereof) in the Pittsburgh area. On another note, however, I was glad to find through reading this thread/checking out coverage maps on sensorly, that Sprint is beginning to unofficially roll out 4G LTE in the area.

have a question that someone with more knowledge or experience regarding past Sprint LGE Rollouts may be able to answer; what type of timeframe are we talking about when we look at the few blips of 4G that have been popping up, until a city/metro area of our size is substantially covered? End of the summer? End of the year? Early next year?

I'm a recent Sprint subscriber, just switched from T-Mobile last week. Long story short, I didn't do my research and am so far disappointed by Sprint's data coverage (or lack thereof) in the Pittsburgh area. On another note, however, I was glad to find through reading this thread/checking out coverage maps on sensorly, that Sprint is beginning to unofficially roll out 4G LTE in the area.

have a question that someone with more knowledge or experience regarding past Sprint LGE Rollouts may be able to answer; what type of timeframe are we talking about when we look at the few blips of 4G that have been popping up, until a city/metro area of our size is substantially covered? End of the summer? End of the year? Early next year?

Pittsburgh is a Samsung market who is one of the more aggressive vendors for Sprint. Typically, they tend to bring up 4G LTE first as there are no other LTE 1900 signal to coordinate unlike EVDO 1900 which has to be turned on in clusters. Sprints deployment is a shotgun pattern where crews will go to wherever a site is ready to be worked on instead of waiting to work on a certain area. As rural sites are easier to get permitting and backhaul, typically crews begin there. As time passes by and more urban sites are ready, they'll transition from the rural sites into the urban areas.

Depending on the red tape from the local government, site owner, and backhaul provider, Samsung gets everything up and going 30-45 days after they begin (if backhaul is available). For a city the size of Pittsburgh and the amount of sites in it, in addition to Samsungs aggressiveness, I'll say around end of summer for a good portion of the city being covered. 

• Like 2

on my way to work all the way down 51 in the southhills signal check was showing a lte signal very week 128 dbm hopefully some final testing it would not hold a connection

Edited by evo bryan

Pittsburgh is a Samsung market who is one of the more aggressive vendors for Sprint. Typically, they tend to bring up 4G LTE first as there are no other LTE 1900 signal to coordinate unlike EVDO 1900 which has to be turned on in clusters. Sprints deployment is a shotgun pattern where crews will go to wherever a site is ready to be worked on instead of waiting to work on a certain area. As rural sites are easier to get permitting and backhaul, typically crews begin there. As time passes by and more urban sites are ready, they'll transition from the rural sites into the urban areas.

Depending on the red tape from the local government, site owner, and backhaul provider, Samsung gets everything up and going 30-45 days after they begin (if backhaul is available). For a city the size of Pittsburgh and the amount of sites in it, in addition to Samsungs aggressiveness, I'll say around end of summer for a good portion of the city being covered. 

Wow, thanks for the informative reply!