Arysyn

Member Level: 4G LTE

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  • Phones/Devices:1
  • LocationChicago

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:20 PM

I've read online today about the potential name of Android N possibly being Nutella. While I'm not sure about that, I figured it might be interesting to have a thread here to discuss naming ideas, along with features which S4GRU members wish for this new Android operating system to have.

My thought is that the name very well could be Nestle Crunch. Also, I think there ought to be tighter control Google has over updates built into this, which I'm sure would make many Android users happy.

Time, it is all I ever think about anymore. It is as if there is never enough of it. The future is in front of you and goes on forever. You never really get there. It always is one step ahead of you. It is as if there is no present, no now. Just when I think I am here, the moment is gone. Either everything is in the past, or it is in the future. There is no now.
- Arcade

#2 belusnecropolis

belusnecropolis

Member Level: 4G WiMax

• Honored Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Routers: 2x Homebrews Microtik>QualcommX7>Ant. array. Rpi3b>MC7455. Netgear 6100d(S). Mobile Broadband: NG Fuse AC779S. Handsets: Huæwei Nexus 6p. LG Nexus 5x. RF Analyzer: RF Explorer 3G.
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:31 PM

Neapolitan is my guess.

#3 MarshieZballer

MarshieZballer

Member Level: eHRPD

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 5 32GB (White), Apple iPhone 5S 16GB (Space Gray), Sprint Wi-Fi Connect Router, Sierra 3G/4G USB Modem, Karma Go Hotspot
  • LocationAppleton, Wisconsin

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:57 PM

How 'bout Nacho Cheese? Lol

But in all seriousness, Nectarine would sound kind of cool?! Nectar for short?

Marshall - 22 - College Student, Small Business Owner, Hawaiian Lover, Football & Baseball Fanatic, Sprint Backer

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

North Wisconsin Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         North Wisconsin Thread (General Access)

Madison/Milwaukee Premier Thread (Sponsorship Required)         Madison/Milwaukee Thread (General Access)

Karma Go Hotspot User Thread (General Access)

Not a sponsor yet? Click HERE to become one today!

#4 ingenium

ingenium

Member Level: eHRPD

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Google Pixel XL
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA & Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:12 PM

Nutella?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

#5 Arysyn

Arysyn

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 March 2016 - 04:16 AM

Nutella?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

http://www.androidhe...oid-n-name.html

Time, it is all I ever think about anymore. It is as if there is never enough of it. The future is in front of you and goes on forever. You never really get there. It always is one step ahead of you. It is as if there is no present, no now. Just when I think I am here, the moment is gone. Either everything is in the past, or it is in the future. There is no now.
- Arcade

#6 bgguy

bgguy

Member Level: 1x Advanced

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung S6
  • LocationBG, KY

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:13 AM

Nougat or Nerds? 

#7 davidtm

davidtm

Member Level: 3G EVDO

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Sprint HTC One M9
  • LocationTJ'ville

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:12 AM

1. I'd REALLY like to get separate ringtone and notification levels back!  Mashing them together does not work well for me.

2. Also, I use Automate, which uses location a la Tasker.  In settings, we have to uncheck the use of Google Play Services location API due to some (unreasonable, according to the dev) limit on geofences:

https://github.com/g...ation/issues/33

#8 red_dog007

red_dog007

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Nexus 5
  • LocationChattanooga

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:43 PM

My guess is Nutella with the hint they dropped.

#9 afazel

afazel

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Samsung Galaxy Note 5
  • LocationGarland

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

Nutter Butter!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#10 Arysyn

Arysyn

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:10 PM

Personally, I think it would be awesome if the N was to represent Nightshade. Android 7 Nightshade, yes! 

- Arcade

#11 Scott

Scott

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Current: Moto X Pure Edition, Nexus 7 (2013) Old: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S4
  • LocationUpstate NY East

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

My guess is Nutella with the hint they dropped.

The hint is actually why I don't think it'll be Nutella. They usually wouldn't give that big of a hint this soon before the release of the OS. I think it's a misdirection.

Before the release of Android 4.4, Google was dropping hints it would be called Key Lime Pie, but it was eventually released as KitKat.

#12 Scott

Scott

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Phones/Devices:Current: Moto X Pure Edition, Nexus 7 (2013) Old: Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S4
  • LocationUpstate NY East

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

The codename Google is using internally for Android N is New York Cheesecake, which likely won't be the final name if history is any indication -- the last three codesnames were Key Lime Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie and Macadamia Nut Cookie.

http://www.androidpo...nyc-internally/

#13 Arysyn

Arysyn

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:21 PM

The codename Google is using internally for Android N is New York Cheesecake, which likely won't be the final name if history is any indication -- the last three codesnames were Key Lime Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie and Macadamia Nut Cookie.

http://www.androidpo...nyc-internally/

I doubt that will be the final name either, as it sounds more like it is representing New York, rather than a dessert/candy/food product.

I'm still thinking it has a good chance to be Nestle Crunch, though my only doubt regarding that name is the N representing a company, rather than the brand of candy, unlike KitKat.

However, I hope Google doesn't choose Nutella or anything containing the word "Nut" or refers to anything containing nuts, such as "Nougat", as there are many people who have allergies to nuts, which may put off some people from purchasing Android-based products. Not that it really ought to matter, but I can imagine this may very well be a real concern for marketing people at Google. 

- Arcade

#14 ahecht

ahecht

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Phones/Devices:HTC One M8
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

Arysyn, on 16 Mar 2016 - 8:21 PM, said:
However, I hope Google doesn't choose Nutella or anything containing the word "Nut" or refers to anything containing nuts, such as "Nougat", as there are many people who have allergies to nuts, which may put off some people from purchasing Android-based products. Not that it really ought to matter, but I can imagine this may very well be a real concern for marketing people at Google.

Outside of Italy, I think most people associate "nougat" with the weird spongy stuff in a "3 Musketeers" bar, or in what Americans call a "Milky Way" bar (and what the rest of the world calls a "Mars" bar). It has nothing to do with nuts.

Also, I think there are more diabetics out there than people with serious nut allergies, and that hasn't hurt the marketing yet. Not to mention the 60% of the world's adult population that are lactose intolerant and couldn't have eaten an Ice Cream Sandwich.

I've got to admit it's getting better, a little better all the time...

#15 iruntrains

iruntrains

• S4GRU Member
  • PipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Phones/Devices:HTC Evo Design 4g, LG G2 on pre-order
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

i like now & later's....nerds and nutter butter...i never liked nestle crunch though...i actually hated them..

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

#16 Arysyn

Arysyn

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2016 - 05:56 PM

Outside of Italy, I think most people associate "nougat" with the weird spongy stuff in a "3 Musketeers" bar, or in what Americans call a "Milky Way" bar (and what the rest of the world calls a "Mars" bar). It has nothing to do with nuts.

Also, I think there are more diabetics out there than people with serious nut allergies, and that hasn't hurt the marketing yet. Not to mention the 60% of the world's adult population that are lactose intolerant and couldn't have eaten an Ice Cream Sandwich.

While I agree with you, I've heard of some pretty strange excuses for how/why certain names affect marketing. It really shouldn't, but that is what I've heard about in certain cases. I'll try finding an example of this to post here soon, once I get my cell phone situation resolved In a few days.

- Arcade

#17 danlodish345

danlodish345

WQWR631

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • Phones/Devices:none
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

While I agree with you, I've heard of some pretty strange excuses for how/why certain names affect marketing. It really shouldn't, but that is what I've heard about in certain cases. I'll try finding an example of this to post here soon, once I get my cell phone situation resolved In a few days.

i have the nexus 5x and have the android n preview its quite quick and it really has better notifications and the speed is better and does has been improved alot ! but also battery life is alot better the only annoying thing is that when replying to a text notification when you send it ...it closes out the application your in...very annoying.and it also takes away root!

#18 Arysyn

Arysyn

• S4GRU Premier Sponsor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:36 PM

i have the nexus 5x and have the android n preview its quite quick and it really has better notifications and the speed is better and does has been improved alot ! but also battery life is alot better the only annoying thing is that when replying to a text notification when you send it ...it closes out the application your in...very annoying.and it also takes away root!

I've heard the notifications fill up the entire width of the notification bar on the display, which I definitely like the sound of. I'm surprised however about what you mentioned regarding root. One of the things I've heard from people complaining about the T-Mobile/Samsung S7 locked bootloader issue, is that Google is supportive of rooting. It sure doesn't seem that way if Google is taking it away.

- Arcade

#19 danlodish345

danlodish345

WQWR631

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 24 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

I've heard the notifications fill up the entire width of the notification bar on the display, which I definitely like the sound of. I'm surprised however about what you mentioned regarding root. One of the things I've heard from people complaining about the T-Mobile/Samsung S7 locked bootloader issue, is that Google is supportive of rooting. It sure doesn't seem that way if Google is taking it away.

That's a Samsung issue and remember when you update they patch root exploits and the Nexus phones have their bootloaders easily unlocked due to Google making it easy for Nexus owners to do it and you have to remember that Nexus phones are purchased from Google not a carrier so it isn't subject to the same carrier crap that other phones are subject to

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

#20 danlodish345

danlodish345

WQWR631

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,893 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:43 PM

Personally, I think it would be awesome if the N was to represent Nightshade. Android 7 Nightshade, yes!

I m beta testing it

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users