Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

Surely, not from Sprint... I hope it'll be a good quarter. Don't think revenue growth will be there but with free service subs should be positive.

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet! ????

• Like 1

Surely, not from Sprint... I hope it'll be a good quarter. Don't think revenue growth will be there but with free service subs should be positive.

I've got to say that its really neat now knowing that at least some of Sprint's executives may very well be reading this site on somewhat of a regular basis. Guenther's reference to S4GRU in his Tweet yesterday is evidence this may be the case, and its a huge accomplishment for this site.

I know I don't always agree with the staff here, and I also know they don't always agree with me, but putting that aside, I think this is a tremendous occassion that all the staff who've worked very diligently on this site over the years deserves much credit for creating this site which now finally has been given public recognition by Sprint.

So in whatever the figures are in the result reports, its great knowing that perhaps in whatever positives there are in them, perhaps Sprint executives are at least thinking some consideration of S4GRU for having been online these past several years promoting Sprint and helping their business in some way.

• Like 2

Revenue growth will be there!  Equipment revenue will be there for sure. Service revenue will be tricky to predict, but with postpaid stable and prepaid is back, I am venture to say service revenue will be back as well.  

The question is how Sprint fairs in this competitive market, more than 100k postpaid adds and 400k prepaid adds is be a good quarter in my book.  Remember Tmo give out free lines too with their promotions.  

Just so you know, Sprint has been"selling service" for the last month and end of this month for free. Any new customer from a different carrier is not paying anything (for a year) but admin fees and couple bucks in taxes. Hence it's hard to see revenue spike, Unless some accounting magic.

Revenue growth will be there! Equipment revenue will be there for sure. Service revenue will be tricky to predict, but with postpaid stable and prepaid is back, I am venture to say service revenue will be back as well.

The question is how Sprint fairs in this competitive market, more than 100k postpaid adds and 400k prepaid adds is be a good quarter in my book. Remember Tmo give out free lines too with their promotions.

Just so you know, Sprint has been"selling service" for the last month and end of this month for free. Any new customer from a different carrier is not paying anything (for a year) but admin fees and couple bucks in taxes. Hence it's hard to see revenue spike, Unless some accounting magic.

And must also know, they are not paying up to $650 per line that comes in, with an average of $42 ARPU on Sprint's postpaid, that's the same as having new customers paying for one year of service or more. Tmo is paying how much to pay off them phones to switch over??

It's not accounting magic, but simple math without using any calculator tricks.  

Edited by Hmight

Only COEM customers. It is hard to say how many of those are in the mix.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

And must also know, they are not paying up to $650 per line that comes in, with an average of $42 ARPU on Sprint's postpaid, that's the same as having new customers paying for one year of service or more. Tmo is paying how much to pay off them phones to switch over??

It's not accounting magic, but simple math without using any calculator tricks.

Up to 650 and part of that is covered by the customer trading in their old phone. Most people are getting far less than 650 and most of it is being covered by the phone trade it. If I had to guess, I would say this program adds no more than 200 to the cost of acquisition, probably far less.

Up to 650 and part of that is covered by the customer trading in their old phone. Most people are getting far less than 650 and most of it is being covered by the phone trade it. If I had to guess, I would say this program adds no more than 200 to the cost of acquisition, probably far less.

When you say most people, you mean how many? Any numbers to back it up?  Why do you think it's $200 or probably far less?

Also, the free year promotion was not marketed with any channels, so the marketing cost is minimal to none. 

When you say most people, you mean how many? Any numbers to back it up? Why do you think it's $200 or probably far less?

Also, the free year promotion was not marketed with any channels, so the marketing cost is minimal to none.

Because of the way the promotion works. The promotion pays off cancellation fees or phone pay off and you have to trade in your old phone. Most people who are switching dont owe 650+ and those that do have phone worth more on a trade. The total cost of the program is payout+overhead-trad ins resell- people who don't follow up on the paperwork- people that leave with buyser remorse.

This probably averages out to between 100-200 dollars, but that is just my guess based on the amount of money they spent advertising it when it first started.

Sprint is paying only up to 650 per line.  So noone will be reimbursed for 650+. 

Most people no longer have ETF fees since 2 year contracts are one. Those who do would not owe anywhere to $350 max ETF fee. For those who have installment plans (which I say is the majority phone uses now, the max they can claim is whatever the cost of their phones up to $650 a line. Unless you know the breakdown of the phones people are trading in to Sprint, you can GUESS all you want.  The trade in phones could be a majority of higher end Iphones or Samsung phones. Sprint could end up paying 400+, 500+, or 600+ for these phones. Sprint can resell these phones, but the cost to refurbish and resell must also be included.  These phones can fetch 100, 200, or 300 dollars a phone as used, but the cost sprint has put in could easily be another 50 per phone from time of trade in to take resell. You also have to add in the costs of marketing to get these customers.  The longer they have the phone the more the phones depreciate, this is another cost. 

I would guess it could easily be 400 on average per user for Sprint to acquire these new customers.  Again, with ARPU is around $40 per user. That's why I think it makes sense for Sprint to choose the 1 year free service route for those who willing to do BYOD.  This also frees up some near term financing obligation for Sprint (pay upfront cost for lease or installment phones, cost to refurbish and resell used phones, marketing costs, etc.).  The idea that Sprint gained some "free" loading customers has near sighted reasoning. 

Edited by Hmight
  • Like 1

I posted this link in the Verizon thread, but I also want to post it here, for a good reason. On the link, there is a graph showing current Sprint customers who use to be Verizon customers. Of all the carriers listed in the graph, based from the graph itself, it appears Sprint has more former Verizon customers than any other carrier.

So while John Legere likes to target Verizon and make various questionable claims about Verizon in favor of trying to make T-Mobile appear better than them, really if any carrier is beating Verizon, its Sprint, not T-Mobile.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-top-donator-customers-to-competitors-q2-cowen

• Like 2

I posted this link in the Verizon thread, but I also want to post it here, for a good reason. On the link, there is a graph showing current Sprint customers who use to be Verizon customers. Of all the carriers listed in the graph, based from the graph itself, it appears Sprint has more former Verizon customers than any other carrier.

So while John Legere likes to target Verizon and make various questionable claims about Verizon in favor of trying to make T-Mobile appear better than them, really if any carrier is beating Verizon, its Sprint, not T-Mobile.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/verizon-top-donator-customers-to-competitors-q2-cowen

And apparently Sprint has more former T-Mobile customers than T-Mobile. :blink:

• Like 4

That too!

It would be great if Sprint commented on this. However, there seems to be an avoidance between Sprint and T-Mobile in mentioning each other lately, which may be due to merger possibilities.

• Like 2

I could be reading the chart wrong but it looks like Sprint is adding more subs from the other 3 than Sprint is porting out to the other 3.
  • Like 1

I could be reading the chart wrong but it looks like Sprint is adding more subs from the other 3 than the other 3 vs Sprint.

Quite possibly, hopefully the numbers show this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll say it again, I used to pull 100+ down a few months ago at the one bar I frequent from time to time. Just stopped by and was averaging about 40 down, if that doesn't say more subscribers I don't know what does. This was on 3xCA as well, previous speeds were on my Note 5 on 2xCA. Things loaded crazy fast with pings in the low to mid 20's, I can't complain.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Question about the free year promo - does anyone know how long you have to have been a non sprint costumer to be eligible for the free year promo?

We left to T-Mobile as I posted here bc of the price. But call quality at T-Mobile is aweful compared to sprint - lots of spots with dropped or nearly dropped calls.. areas with signal almost going away and having to have people repeat themselves. Considering coming back to sprint after four or five months with magenta. If i do this, I'll miss having open world on my account. :-/

Question about the free year promo - does anyone know how long you have to have been a non sprint costumer to be eligible for the free year promo?

We left to T-Mobile as I posted here bc of the price. But call quality at T-Mobile is aweful compared to sprint - lots of spots with dropped or nearly dropped calls.. areas with signal almost going away and having to have people repeat themselves. Considering coming back to sprint after four or five months with magenta. If i do this, I'll miss having open world on my account. :-/

If you have unlimited freedom, I think (I could be wrong) it's better than open world for canada and mexico since you can use unlimited LTE.  As for other latin countries, I think you have to buy the speed pass, which is still reasonably low. 

That too!

It would be great if Sprint commented on this. However, there seems to be an avoidance between Sprint and T-Mobile in mentioning each other lately, which may be due to merger possibilities.

Not sure about that:) If you check the earnings report statement for q2 there were a few jabs at sprint 'giving away service' and 'choosing not to respond to crazy offers'. I guess since merger talks are stalled everything is fair game again. Sad to see alleged professionals behaving like that. 

• Like 1

If you have unlimited freedom, I think (I could be wrong) it's better than open world for canada and mexico since you can use unlimited LTE. As for other latin countries, I think you have to buy the speed pass, which is still reasonably low.

Sprint offers a "Premium International Experience" as part of Global Roaming with Unlimited Freedom: https://www.sprint.com/content/sprint/sprint_com/us/en/support/solutions/international/faqs-about-premium-international-experience.html

Otherwise, these costs apply to Global Roaming: https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html?ECID=vanity:globalroaming

Sprint Open World is no longer available for purchase: https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/international/faqs-about-sprint-open-world.html

If you have it, you can keep it. If you remove it, you can't add it back.

• Like 1