Network Vision/LTE - Lower Central Valley Market (Fresno, Bakersfield, Visalia)

aelenes

Called sprint today n i guess the reps now have more detailed information about site upgrades n completions, or so they say. But one of the things the rep said was Fresno wouldn't be starting spark (2500) for 6 months to a year :-/

I wouldn't be surprised about those Spark build out dates.  If it's not underway now, then it will be delayed.  As Sprint is focusing on larger than Fresno markets for Spark now.  But I wouldn't rule out them coming back and adding Spark to a site here or there where LTE is over capacity.

thank you that was much better than

That doesn't matter

Sprint likes to get as few backhaul providers as possible per market for logistics and simplicity of management. They went out to bid looking for coverage first. Each bidder showed which sites they could cover, and then they were selected.

Then a list of sites which were not covered by bids is put together, and Sprint regional managers have to hunt down who can provide fiber to that site, one by one. Sometimes even the OEM helps when that happens. This is the reasoning why many full build sites are waiting to go LTE. I hear some good things that Sprint may be looking to go to microwave on some of these remaining sites.

Fiber is very admirable. But microwave to bridge the gap is needed now. Fiber can follow up later. This is what VZW did. They used lots of MW at sites they could not get fiber quickly, easily or at a reasonable cost.

look at what I found its a year old yet still might be helpful 

Sprint Internal Memo regarding Circuit Switched Fallback issues:

eCSFB Gap Talking Points

Sprint’s Network Vision Plan (Spectrum)

• Sprint’s Network Vision plan includes access to three spectrum bands, (1.9, 800 and 2.5), and LTE handsets with a single radio.
  • Access to diverse spectrum assets allows Sprint to maximize capacity and coverage.

Current Sprint LTE Devices (2 Radios)

• Current Sprint LTE devices are Simultaneous Voice and LTE (SVLTE)—using two radios, one for voice and one for LTE data. This allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate at the same time.
  • Dual Radio SVLTE devices can degrade the user’s quality of experience – two antennas may slow throughput at the cell edge and reduce battery life.

Future Sprint LTE Devices (1 Radio)

• CSFB and eCSFB (Circuit Switch Fall Back and enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) are features that enable single radio functionality in the handset.
  • eCSFB Benefits:
  • With eCSFB implementation, Sprint will be able to offer fast LTE data speeds and 3G voice supported on single radio devices. This provides a more cost effective option for Sprint’s long-term business plans to support additional spectrum bands.
  • eCSFB is expected to improve handset battery life compared to SVLTE.

eCSFB Gap Issue – What you Need to know:

• Smart devices require eCSFB to “fall back” to 3G to accept a voice call if the user is connected to the LTE network.
  • All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability.
  • eCSFB Gaps are only in non-incumbent markets where a site has 4G LTE and no 3G upgrade.

4G LTE integration with 3G is different by OEM type:

• Incumbent markets – LTE 4G only sites can communicate with either legacy 3G or NV 3G sites.
  • Non-Incumbent – LTE 4G can only communicate with NV 3G sites; so individual sites need both NV upgrades.

LTE devices – Customer Experience

• When 4G LTE is deployed in a non-incumbent market on sites without upgrade to 3G service, there is a gap.
  • Existing Devices – No Impact
  • eCSFB Devices – Phone becomes 3G only device

Non-Launched Markets

• No coverage visible on Sprint.com maps but different experience for users with existing devices versus new eCSFB devices.

Launched Markets

• Sprint coverage tools will display LTE coverage. For new LTE smart device users this could be confusing since they would expect LTE and 3G coverage with the device they purchased, but would not experience LTE until the 3G network is upgraded.

Mitigation plan:

New LTE Markets

• When locking new LTE markets for announcement/ launch, eCSFB deployment status will be a factor in the analysis. New LTE markets will not be announced unless the eCSFB gap risk is low.
  • Complete the build quickly in eCSFB gap impacted markets.

Acronyms

• CSFB – Circuit Switch Fall Back. It allows for single radio devices. (ERC)
  • eCSFB – Enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back Next generation CSFB. (ALU, STA)
  • SVLTE – Simultaneous Voice & LTE. Allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate simultaneously
  • Incumbent – An incumbent market is one in which the OEM stays the same as before Network Vision
  • Non-incumbent – A market in which the OEM changes as well as all of the equipment.
  • ERC - Ericsson
  • ALU – Alcatel Lucent
  • STA - Samsung
  • NV – Network Vision
  • OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer (ERC, ALU, STA)
  • Gap – 4G LTE on sites without appropriate upgrades to 3G service
  • 1.9 GHz Spectrum - Provides initial capacity and coverage for voice and data services.
  • 800 MHz Spectrum - Improves coverage and in-building penetration for all services.
  • 2.5 GHz Spectrum - Increases data capacity to support higher data demands and more users.
  •  

look at what I found its a year old yet still might be helpful...

We received the memo. And we wrote an article about it last year: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

Robert via Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My money is on a cluster launch for Fresno within 2 weeks. We're down to five sites that haven't been anointed with NV hardware.

Given that I have no intention of renewing my Sprint contract, it's kind of bittersweet. Even so, I'll probably still keep track of the B41 deployment.

My money is on a cluster launch for Fresno within 2 weeks. We're down to five sites that haven't been anointed with NV hardware.

Cough Cough

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1161-network-visionlte-lower-central-valley-market-fresno-bakersfield-visalia/?p=358790

If you poor, poor souls that work downtown get a chance, check out the top of the fresno county education building across from the bank of the west at fresno and van ness. If you can get pics that would be awesome.

ill take a look and see what i can do

Great to Hear That Fresno got LTE any more News on when Bakersfield gets to get 100% LTE getting tired of hitting to many pockets that have 3G or no internet thanx also any News if Spark will come here as well if so When I understand the New CEO is looking into doing just that just want to know how fast