Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Slow data, texts, and calls were never the problem for me on Sprint, it was the unreliability of LTE service, and maybe that weighed heavily in their testing. LTE drops indoors in your pocket if you're not near a tower, and I'm not being unrealistic with service expectations, but it's in small places next to a window, like a subway restaurant or a small bar, or every time PCS lte gets weak, it just drops to 3G, even outdoors. While driving, I'll occasionally glance over at my wife's sprint iphone 6 while she's using it, and she's on 3G all the time. I'm riding out T-Mobile for awhile, because so far, I'm happy with their service and network. They're not perfect in heavily populated areas, and can get bogged down, but we'll see what happens after the AWS HSPA shutdown next month.

Sent from my iPhone 6

You got rid of Sprint?

Also for Gusherb, did you switch away from AT&T?

I have come to a similar realization as well.  The more moving parts, the more ingredients that go into making the final product, the more complicated and heterogeneous the final product and roll-out of the final product becomes.  I work on large ePlatform transformation projects and we see this all the time with our clients.  Simply put a heck of a lot as to align, and align perfectly, for you to get what you believe you signed up for, or what you believe Sprint sold you and everyone on.  Its why I hate projects that are vendor heavy, took many cooks and you get dishes & pairings that don't quite turn out r

Excellent post! You couldn't have worded my thoughts and feelings about Sprint better then that. This is what I've been trying to say for weeks but couldn't get it out as eloquently and concisely as you have in this post. 

OTOH it's kinda sad that it seems like a good number of us regulars from Chi have actually had to dump Sprint.  3 years ago when I signed on I thought I'd only be waiting just over a year for the network to reach a "happy point" not 3 years and counting just to maintain a decent LTE signal.

Good lord people! I would admit I don't follow rootmetrics reports all that much, but they post what looks to me like a practical 4 way tie for first, Sprint is listed as third, and suddenly everything is horrible around here.

Are suddenly T-Mobile people jumping off bridges?

This has been bubbling under the surface for months already, It just has finally reached the breaking point where the optimism and patients has run out, and realism has set in. Especially when every other carrier isn't having any problems. 

You're gonna think I'm a T-Mo fanboy for saying this, but from my experience T-Mobiles "last place" congested network has been at least consistent and predictable here. Something I can't say for Sprint. 

there is one more year left on the Ericsson network management deal right?

I think we should all crack open a bottle of Champagne when they're officially out the door (assuming it was really them at the root of all these issues all this time)

You got rid of Sprint?

Also for Gusherb, did you switch away from AT&T?

Yes I did, I was with T-Mobile for a little bit and now Verizon. My experience with VZW has been a very good one so far... 

Thank you both for replying, Vince and gusherb. I've read a lot from your experiences since we're all in the Chicago area.

I really don't like T-Mobile's network and customer service here, and AT&T is too expensive for my usage. I'm not impressed either by AT&T's less amount of spectrum here, which I read is 10x10 AWS, until they add in the additional AWS3 spectrum to it. So for me, it is either Sprint or Verizon, which I'd love to have Verizon if my mother didn't seem so upset about the pricing. I regret not getting unlimited with it when I had the chance, but thankfully I'm getting on a really great plan with Sprint, and once the network improvements finalize here with the carrier aggregation full release on 2.5, ought to be an amazing experience, while the price is a huge relief to my mother. Just a matter of getting a store manager to finalize the process by actually being there when we show up to the store.

Let me know when you see any others get turned on :)

Is simply running SignalCheck in logging mode and driving near the towers good enough? I can put about a half dozen towers without detail on my route this morning.

Is simply running SignalCheck in logging mode and driving near the towers good enough? I can put about a half dozen towers without detail on my route this morning.

Cubbiefan82 might be busy. Cubbiefan82 said bedore logs are ok. It just may take a while to get through due to schedule.
  • Like 1

Cubbiefan82 might be busy. Cubbiefan82 said bedore logs are ok. It just may take a while to get through due to schedule.

Yea the beginning of the week is always busy for me, everything tends to slow down by today. So I hope to get to them tonight. Thanks for sending them to me :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

HAWKS!!!

You are saying it wrong.  It is da Hawksss.  But I guess you are not a super fan.

AJ

You are saying it wrong. It is da Hawksss. But I guess you are not a super fan.

AJ

DAAAAAAAAAAA HAWKS DA HAWKS DA HAWKS DA HAWKS DA BULLS DA BEARS DA HAWKS

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 3

DAAAAAAAAAAA HAWKS DA HAWKS DA HAWKS DA HAWKS DA BULLS DA BEARS DA HAWKS

Ditka.  Polish sausage.  Ditka.  Ribs.  Heart attack.  Ditka.

AJ

• Like 2

Anyone going to the parade? :)

Vince has already cut school to go to the parade.

AJ

• Like 2

Anyone going to the parade? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would love to, but I'm hearing it's on Thursday. Don't they know people work?

Sent from my iPhone 6

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone experiencing improvement in data service around downtown Chicago? I'm just curious.

I was around the loop last week by the Chase tower and observed B41 carrier aggregation, but speed was only still about 10mbps probably due to too many people in the loop.

• Like 1

I noticed Sprint is one of the main sponsors for Lollapalooza this year. They will even have a "Sprint Stage." I have a three day pass this year and other than all the music and schinadigans I will be participating in I am also looking forward to seeing how well they will fair with over 100k people that will be in Grant Park over the weekend. Last year the service was mostly usable but not without sore spots.

• Like 1

I noticed Sprint is one of the main sponsors for Lollapalooza this year. They will even have a "Sprint Stage." I have a three day pass this year and other than all the music and schinadigans I will be participating in I am also looking forward to seeing how well they will fair with over 100k people that will be in Grant Park over the weekend. Last year the service was mostly usable but not without sore spots.

* Shenanigans

Sent from my SM-N910T

• Like 2

Is everyone still having the same problems as was still going on 3 months ago with lack of optimized bands and losing LTE all the time?

Yes. Having the same issues around the Loop (where I work) and in the West Loop (where I live). The problem is much worse indoors. I always thought that Band 26 was supposed to address weak indoor signals but so far I don't see any improvements.

• Like 1