Network Vision/LTE - Utah Market (Salt Lake City/Ogden/Provo/St. George/Cedar City)

Rafaelcab

Howdy guys,

I'm wanting to buy a new phone and I was hoping I could get some opinions.  Right now I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 which has WiMax.  I get good coverage, just not the greatest speeds.  I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to a Tri-Band phone yet.  My girlfriend has a dualband LTE phone and gets excellent LTE coverage where I would need it.  

If I get a Tri-Band phone will I get LTE in the same areas as a dual-band LTE?  Is it time to ditch WiMax or should I wait until next year when new Tri-band phones come out?  Are any of the Sprint phones capable of using the 2.5 spectrum yet, or do they all have to wait for a patch?

Sprint is only advertising 5-6 down I believe. So I'd say there within that. No sites have been accepted in west Jordan area which I find odd? So if your in that area and on lte performance will be disappointing. I'm getting 6 up and down average inside with an average of -95 signal strength. Hopefully they will still hit WJ this week.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Well once sprint upgrades the west Jordan area (which I think will be soon) it will be great to be able to use our phones without having to check data usage every other day :)

December 4th was the official day the cluster that included the West Jordan area was lit.  While stragglers are allowed and may come online. All sites that will be lit for the salt lake county rollout effort should be lit by mid week.

If your area/tower doesn't come up soon, you may be waiting a while because their focus will be shifting to Utah County.

Edited by dmplus

I agree. It will be nice to be able to stream play music in my car without it buffering constantly as well.

A couple of years ago I was able to stream I Heart Radio while driving through Provo Canyon from Heber to Orem without a break up.

December 4th was the official day the cluster that included the West Jordan area was lit.  While stragglers are allowed and may come online. All sites that will be lit for the salt lake county rollout effort should be lit by mid week.

If your area/tower doesn't come up soon, you may be waiting a while because their focus will be shifting to Utah County.

That's dissapointing. Way to go half way sprint...

That's dissapointing. Way to go half way sprint...

Well you got it right.  :-)  About half of their 12 dozen Salt Lake County sites should be live by mid week.

Well you got it right.  :-)  About half of their 12 dozen Salt Lake County sites should be live by mid week.

With how long it took them to rollout half their sites, I seriously am not counting on the other half anytime soon. Anyone remember when sprint used to be ahead of the curve on technology? Those were the days....

With how long it took them to rollout half their sites, I seriously am not counting on the other half anytime soon. Anyone remember when sprint used to be ahead of the curve on technology? Those were the days....

If you ever feel bad about your service, come down here (St.George) for a weekend. I promise you'll feel a lot better about your current scenario :)

utah is about 1% of their sites, somewhere around 38,000+ to expect then to be done is unrealistic. I believe our initial projection was q4 of this year so they still have about 45 days to get to their goal. They accepted 129 sites in less than a week so I'd say they are making every effort. If your not happy with your service there is other options available.

If you ever feel bad about your service, come down here (St.George) for a weekend. I promise you'll feel a lot better about your current scenario :)

Saint George is scheduled for LTE soon :-)

Saint George is scheduled for LTE soon :-)

I'm in it for the long haul, I believe in Sprints direction with spectrum acquisition and strategy. ( I even own Sprint stock ), but it still gets frustrating. When it's here the frustration will quickly be forgotten. But in the meantime... ;)

Howdy guys,

I'm wanting to buy a new phone and I was hoping I could get some opinions. Right now I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2 which has WiMax. I get good coverage, just not the greatest speeds. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to a Tri-Band phone yet. My girlfriend has a dualband LTE phone and gets excellent LTE coverage where I would need it.

If I get a Tri-Band phone will I get LTE in the same areas as a dual-band LTE? Is it time to ditch WiMax or should I wait until next year when new Tri-band phones come out? Are any of the Sprint phones capable of using the 2.5 spectrum yet, or do they all have to wait for a patch?

first if your not in a rush and can wait a fee months I would. But tri band phones will support all three bands dual only two of those bands. And yes they are working through some issues with the 2.5 currently.

Or Ogden where we are rockin the Legacy system. ???? haha. I do enjoy heading south and seeing it light up though.

Ok 1st the sprint acceptance guy said the 6th not the 4th....with a majority being done by end of month...

2nd....dual band LTE????  uhhhhh what?

like he said if you can wait a few mths, then the triband issues whould be resolved....other wise its like anytime you get something brand new.....there are going to be bumps....

whats funny or sad is....its the east side...west side is not so bad....

Live on east side...so sad. Even my job is next to the Legacy tower, so no relief there either. The thing that gets me is the one closest to my home is part of a radio tower complex so I would think it would be easy compared to downtown.. oh well right.. March is my personal line though.

When I get into my LTE engineering screen, does the site ID # correspond to the number on the sponsor map? I'm trying to figure out where I'm getting my signal from.

Rockin my LG G2

Ill try and answer the best I can...simple answer no...however on the sponsor map we track all the sector ids (from members reporting them) that way when a new site comes on we know which ones are up and running. Now if your looking at a 1X800 on signal check  that is the site your connected to for voice but you may be connected to another for data. As of now signal check doesnt tell you directly which tower you are connected to but with the data we are collecting you will be able to know. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Ok 1st the sprint acceptance guy said the 6th not the 4th....with a majority being done by end of month...

2nd....dual band LTE???? uhhhhh what?

like he said if you can wait a few mths, then the triband issues whould be resolved....other wise its like anytime you get something brand new.....there are going to be bumps....

Yeah, I'm not sure what this dual band crap is. Someone made that up lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4