Google plans to sell an unlocked GNex in Google Play for $399

pyroscott

In a move not unlike the Nexus One, Google plans to sell the GSM Galaxy Nexus straight to customers from their Google Play store. The $399 pricetag should guarantee some sales, but might be seen as a slap in the face to Verizon buyers who paid $300 on contract for the LTE version of the device.

http://www.fiercewir...-399/2012-04-24

In a move not unlike the Nexus One, Google plans to sell the GSM Galaxy Nexus straight to customers from their Google Play store. The $399 pricetag should guarantee some sales, but might be seen as a slap in the face to Verizon buyers who paid $300 on contract for the LTE version of the device.

No plans about it. It's available now.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa&feature=banner#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDIwMSwibnVsbC10b3BfZmVhdHVyZWRfbXVsdGlfX18xX3Byb21vXzEzMzUyODg0NzM3NDkiXQ..

No plans about it. It's available now.

https://play.google....Dg0NzM3NDkiXQ..

If they do that with the Sprint CDMA/LTE version, I'm in!

Robert

• Like 1

If they do that with the Sprint CDMA/LTE version, I'm in!

Robert

Sadly, with the way CDMA activation works I don't think you'll ever see it. That would require carrier involvement. With GSM, google can avoid the carrier entirely. If carriers use LTE sim cards like GSM sims maybe theirs hope for the future. But I don't know enough about how LTE sims work. Can you pop them out and put into other lte phones?

Sadly, with the way CDMA activation works I don't think you'll ever see it. That would require carrier involvement. With GSM, google can avoid the carrier entirely. If carriers use LTE sim cards like GSM sims maybe theirs hope for the future. But I don't know enough about how LTE sims work. Can you pop them out and put into other lte phones?

He means if the price is $399 off contract for Sprint the he would most likely buy

Or so I believe

• Like 1

Yeah, I think he was just talking about the price and not the whole cdma vs gsm thing.

If the Sprint GNex ever gets to $399 cash price, then I will buy one. If it doesn't, then, oh well.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

If the Sprint GNex ever gets to $399 cash price, then I will buy one. If it doesn't, then, oh well.

I will give you a great deal on mine around June 10th

I will give you a great deal on mine around June 10th

Let's talk! ;)

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

Let's talk! ;)

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

I could beat the 399 price just for you it assumes however that I will love the Evo (I have not unloved an HTC device before). The nexus however is the first Samsung phone I have ever liked.

I could beat the 399 price just for you it assumes however that I will love the Evo (I have not unloved an HTC device before). The nexus however is the first Samsung phone I have ever liked.

Sounds good. Lets talk more as the launch date gets nearer.

Yeah, I think he was just talking about the price and not the whole cdma vs gsm thing.

I just believe on the CDMA side it's very difficult to sell a non-contract phone. Don't know why that is, but it just seems to be. I suppose it's because each phone has to be inventoried into Sprint's or Verizon's database. I'm guessing Google will only sell unlocked gsm phones and eventually wifi only tablets and unlocked 3g gsm tablets.

I just believe on the CDMA side it's very difficult to sell a non-contract phone. Don't know why that is' date=' but it just seems to be. I suppose it's because each phone has to be inventoried into Sprint's or Verizon's database. I'm guessing Google will only sell unlocked gsm phones and eventually wifi only tablets and unlocked 3g gsm tablets.[/quote']

This may be, I don't know. But the fact that Apple sells the CDMA versions of their devices in their store, it gives me hope.

This may be, I don't know. But the fact that Apple sells the CDMA versions of their devices in their store, it gives me hope.

Apple is the exception that proves a lot of rules.

Not sure how the whole registering of ESN's works, but I can't see how Google selling CDMA phones would be any different than buying a CDMA phone from a 3rd party retailer except that this specific retailer is not reselling phone plans. I would think that the ESNs would be registered with the carrier from the factory.

There was a issue about CDMA activations a few years ago. Verizon claimed that untested devices could cause interference issues with there network, however they agreed to test any manufactures phone they otherwise wouldn't carry and approve it for its network, after that I have not heard of a single phone that had gone through the process. Because the Nexus is already approved on both Sprint and Verizon's network If google wanted to sell them I don't think that the carriers would raise to much of an issue with it.

edited for link

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/verizon-wireless-hopes-to-reel-in-developers-will-publish-network-technical-details/7146?tag=content;siu-container

apparently sprint is part of the open handset alliance, sounds good but a review of there discussion boards has employees saying if you want to use another phone you have to figure out how to activate it yourself as they will not help or support anything. Duffman is a sprint employee right? he could have some insight

Duffman is a sprint employee right? he could have some insight

Nah. :P

All I know is that the device has to be loaded into Sprint's billing system for it to work. And until a CDMA version is released (and I doubt it will), we will just have to speculate.